WoodyFest 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

WoodyFest 2010

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 am

Folks,

Just back from an amazing weekend of anniversary shows in Boston, and heading to WoodyFest on Wednesday. Ellis Paul is Friday night's headliner! 8)

Last Friday's Oklahoman included a terrific article about WoodyFest, replete with several wonderful Ellis Paul quotes. 8)

WoodyFest invites folk artists to play free festival in Okemah by Nathan Poppe

Also.....a nice video on WoodyFest was just posted on the Discover Oklahoma website - produced by the Oklahoma Department of Tourism.

Woody Guthrie Folk Festival

I probably won't be able to check in here very much while I'm away.....so hold the fort down everyone! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: WoodyFest 2010

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 am

Have a great time, Karen! Wish I was going!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Karen, I'll be thinkin of you this week at Woodyfest as you enjoy music and friends made there. I'm sure it will be difficult at times without BeckyG. Have an enjoyable time and safe travels.

We'll hold the fort!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Paddy,

You're so right.....WoodyFest is going to be very different this year. Thank you for your thoughtfullness.

MonicaR, I sure hope you can return to Okemah....maybe next year! :-)

If I have time, I'll try to check in from the Okemah Public Library. Am I the only hold-out against owning a Blackeberry, Palm, or iPad??? :-) I just don't want/need to be connected 24/7......or so I think..... :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Karen, you can always borrow my laptop - so pleased that I've got it with me on my travels. See you tomorrow, have a safe journey.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 am

Thanks, Jela! You'll be pleased to know that Andrea's Attic in downtown Okemah at 203 W. Broadway has free wi-fi! So maybe we can meet there, have a cold drink, and get online! :-)

Safe travels! See you in about 12 hours! I'm heading to the airport in about 30 minutes. Another early flight! :(

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 am

We all arrived safely in Okemah, in temps in the high 90's. Festival started last night at the Crystal Theatre and Bill McCloud (MC) paid a lovely tribute to BeckyG and presented her husband, Tony with what would have been Becky's festival badge - a lovely touch.

Arlo Guthrie headlined, was joined by a 3 piece band and the Burns Sisters too for most of his set. Loved hearing 'City of New Orleans' as well as listening to his stories, he is a great storyteller. Finished his set with 'this Land is Your Land'

Opening act was Ramsay Midwood; Rad was in his band! Excellent opener.

Met lots of friends, it really is like a family reunion here. Love it!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:10 am

WoodyFest as always was just awesome. The heat was scorchin' hot as were the performances. Such great collaborations throughout - Rad was everywhere and played his own set too - he is incredible. Has a new CD out which I'm looking forward to listening to.

Met so many friends and made new ones. So much good music that it would take me forever to write about it all. This festival just brings out such a generosity of spirit, it really is very special.

Photos will follow, Richard will post once we get home and get sorted out. He only took about 1000 photos 'what a slacker!'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Jela is right when she says the festival was SCORCHIN' hot! :-) But, WOW, did we have a great time. I loved being introduced to wonderful new artists such as Jonathan Byrd and John Wort Hannan. Both were just fabulous. Ellis' Friday-night headlining set was out of this world and his kids' show - accompanied by Butch Morgan on electric guitar - was great fun. Will also try to write more and post some pictrues when I get caught up.

In the meantime here are some links to media coverage:

Okemah News Leader

The Oklahoman

The OU Daily (EP pictured!)

OK Gazette

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 am

My WoodyFest review will be in the October issue of Maverick which goes on sale later this month. Here's a copy of the article. Photos are Richard's.

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Jim Dirden's photos from WoodyFest 2010 have now been posted:

WoodyFest 2010

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”