Today (Aug. 3) in EP Music History Trivia (prize today!)

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Aug. 3) in EP Music History Trivia (prize today!)

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:46 am

"I dreamt I ran through Kansas wheatfields
Slept in the shadows where the Rockies kiss the sun - they kiss the sun
I dreamt I could hear freedom's sweep in Lenny Bruce's speeches
Wasn't he reaching for the promise of America"-- Ellis Paul

Comedian Lenny Bruce died of a drug overdose 40 years ago today on Aug. 3, 1966. Another tragic life lost to drugs.

According to Wikipedia, Lenny Bruce inspired or was mentioned in songs by Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Nico, Chumbawamba, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Great Big Sea, R.E.M., Metric, Steve Earle, Phil Ochs (who on the cover of Pleasures of the Harbor wore a jacket once owned by Bruce given to Ochs by actor Michael J. Pollard) , Nada Surf, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Tim Hardin (who lived in Bruce's house for a time), Grace Slick (whose "Father Bruce" with The Great Society was written while Bruce was alive, celebrating his surviving a fall from a San Francisco hotel window in 1965), The Auteurs, Genesis, and of course, Ellis Paul. He is also celebrated in the song "La Vie Boheme" in the popular musical "Rent" by Jonathan Larson. Bruce also influenced Lou Reed and Frank Zappa, with the latter asking Bruce to sign his draft card when his group The Mothers of Invention supported Bruce during his last performances at the Fillmore in 1966. The highly paranoid Bruce refused.

To win a collector's item EllisPaulooza bumpersticker, simply be the first person to reply to this post with the name the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above. Doesn't matter if you've recently won a prize. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am

Can we use cheat sheets, I mean look at the lyrics page. I can name that tune in 14 notes. :lol: No, really I have the subtitle in my head just fine, it's the actual title that escapes me now. That really is an easy one today, given all the times Lenny Bruce has apppeared in a song, I thought for sure we would have to name at least 3 song titles from those artists.

Nice trivia on the sorely missed and not forgotten Mr. Bruce.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:24 am

But then *I* would have had to have known another 3 titles too. ;)

Paddy wrote:I thought for sure we would have to name at least 3 song titles from those artists.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Karen, you so made me laugh just now.......good point!

It's funny, Ellis's rant y'day on athletes and music icons *using*, and the trivia today mentioning Frank Zappa, it got me thinking: as strange as Zappa's music was, I believe I read somewhere that he was not that much of a drug taker back in the day. Hard to believe, right?
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:56 am

Okay, I just got it and without peeking. While I would be honored to have an Ellispaulooza bumpersticker, I'll wait to see who's gonna win this.

I would like to say that this song is one of the reasons Ellis is one of my all time favorites. There is something special about an artist that looks around and then puts into song what others might have missed or just won't.

I'm reminded of a similar song that caught my attention years ago. It was when I truly got interested in Bob Dylan's music. The album that has the song about the wrongly imprisoned Hurricane Carter. Who takes the time to write about such real live people and the injustices done. Few for sure.

Bruce Springsteen sings in one his his songs " the poets 'round here don't write/say nothing at all, they just sit back and let it all be"

For Ellis to have taken this athlete's story and put it into the light it deserved, well, you guys know what I mean. :wink:
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:30 am

One of my favorites also - "Kiss The Sun" - the tribute song to Pat Tillman.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 am

barb62 wrote:One of my favorites also - "Kiss The Sun" - the tribute song to Pat Tillman.

Don't think I'm going too far out on a limb by saying Barb62 's answer is one hec of a :

Bumper Sticky Post ... :lol:

And for the record: What exactly is a sticky post?
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Paddy- a sticky post is one that the moderator "sticks" to the top of the list of messages, so it is easily accessible and new people are more likely to read it.

Damn, I just missed this contest. I will get to one on time someday.
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:46 pm

Hmmn, very interesting explanation, I've wondered for some time now.

Katie, thanks for the answer and If I win a Ellispaulooza sticker before you do, It's yours. Consider it a graduation gift. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Barb, you got it! :) Please PM me with your snail mail address and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

KarenZ

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Congrats, Barb! Love this song... and "The Hurricaine," too - good correlation, Paddy. I am sooo anxious to be seeing these famous bumpah stickahs!
:mrgreen:
~Lauren

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Yea, me too! I'm gonna likely regret being such a gentleman and letting others win this most precious of prizes. One could get a whole lot of mileage out of a bumper sticker that reads: Ellispaulooza
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Eh, I'll make one myself. Perhaps I'll stencil the word onto my bumper. I'm crafty. I made myself an Ellis t shirt with a Michael Kelly guitar-shaped design on it. Think I could start producing them and sell them on here? :P I really need to post a photo of it so everyone can be jealous of me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Katie

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:11 pm

I think I foresee a new post in the picture thread in the near future... :)

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”