WUMB

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

WUMB

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:20 pm

I have found my new favorite radio station on the planet and wanted to give it the recognition it deserves. While folks local to Boston don't need to be told about it, I feel the rest of us could surely benefit from knowing about a radio station of this magnitude.

This may or not be a good place to say I heard this or that on wumb today as we already have the Looking For My Friends area to post about our faves who may have something doing over on the station.

I have heard alot of good music on alot of good stations and these last few hours tuning in here have just moved me to starting up this thread.

I'm guessing over the years they may have at some point had fun with the call letters WUMB and joked about returning to the womb.

Feels as though I've found a nice, warm, and nurturing place to return to time and time again.

A musical womb if you will.

Kinda Korny and Sappy I know. Kinda nice though If I may so myself.

And as always, thanks to our own KarenZ for letting us in on this wonderful radio station.

ps - I've never been to Boston, Mass.

That has got to change.

pss -

while posting this I'm listening and they have played 2 of my faves and coming up is a new one by one of Ellis' faves.

Robert Keen - a cover
Fred J Eaglesmith - new one

Vance Gilbert - new one - cover - Castles Made Of Sand

Ya see what I mean - :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Yesterday I heard Jimmy Lafave and Jeff Black back-to-back. Double-swoon. :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:38 am

KarenZ wrote:Yesterday I heard Jimmy Lafave and Jeff Black back-to-back. Double-swoon. :wink:

KarenZ

I pride myself on being clued in to good music..most of it anyway. It's just I have to confess that I've seen Jimmy's CDS in the record stores and for some reason always passed.....and I may have half listened to a set of his at Kerrville way back but probably OCD on a half dozen others at the time so not really paying attention.

Where should one begin with the music of Jimmy LaFave? I am really not familiar at all, other than to say I read alot of good things.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:47 am

I'm definitely going to become a supporting member of WUMB. It'll be great to have access to the "members only" section of the web site. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:59 pm

I have a couple of quick silly questions about wumb and Boston and Ellis.

Is wumb dedicated to folk music 24/7/365 or do they vary the mix ever?

Since Ellis has moved out of Boston, will they still put his name on the ballot when it comes Boston Music Award time?

I heard a rumor that the runner - ups were seen helping Ellis load up the moving van.....what a friendly community those folkies are :!: :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Paddy,

I believe what you stated about WUMB is true. This is what their web site says:

A Brief History and Overview of WUMB

I think Ellis will always be considered a Boston-based singer-songwriter, and thus will always be eligible to be nominated for the Boston Music Awards. I say that since folks like Aerosmith have been recent nominees....and other recent nominees are folks who I know no longer live in the Boston area (Peter Mulvey, Mark Erelli). I think the whole "Boston" thing is pretty loose. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:32 pm

WUMB has great stuff coming up:

Tomorrow (Aug. 3) at Noon: Kim Richey (one of my top-5 favorite female singer/songwriters)

Friday (Aug. 4) at Noon: Member Concert with Mark Erelli & Jim Henry (recorded May 2001)

Sunday (Aug. 6) at Noon: Member Concert with Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer (recorded Oct. 2001)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 pm

Hey all, also consider myself a big fan of Kim Richey. Discovered her back when she co - wrote a great song with Bill Deasy: So It Goes.

Heard Kim last week play some new tunes on air on wxpn and she sounded better than ever.

Hope to catch some of those on - air sets on wumb next week.

Thanks Karen.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:56 pm

Just over to the wumb online and looked at archived playlist from yesterday. Like the easy to read, in living color, artist and song title given a line all their own. Happy to see they have such great taste in Music as many songs they played are in my collection. No really, it' quite the mix and I wish I had a fraction of what they play. Looks like they cover all the bases of the kind of music I like to listen to.

Forgive me if this is over the top adoration for a station in a town I've never even passed through let alone spent any time in. It's just the spirit of this station that has me going on about it.

I think our next move, if one is to be made, is to the Boston area.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:42 am

The Kim Richey live in-studio yesterday was awesome. Did anyone catch her show last night at Passim?

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:46 am

WUMB just plugged Ellis' show tomorrow night in Ogunquit! (Did we know the show doesn't start until 8:30pm?) One more reason to love 'em. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:58 am

So Flynn will start earlier? Still gives us a good couple hours for dinner, drinks, and conversation. Yay.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:05 am

Well....I guess that means Flynn at 8:30p if that's when the show starts.

KZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:50 am

Oh, good, I love a leisurely dinner so I can really enjoy the food.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:45 am

Hi folks,

If you're able to connect to WUMB, you might want to listen this morning. Lots of songs to commemorate 9-11. Currently listening to Vance Gilbert's "Cry like an angel".

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:47 pm

KZ....thanks for the heads up...missed it for various reasons. A playlist of the day's music on WUMB would be cool - the 9-11 songs anyway.

Rec'd a folk ripples newsletter today and of note:

• Vienna Teng, Sept. 8 at Noon...ooops...come and gone

• Slaid Cleaves, Sept. 11 at Noon.......same thing...anyone?

• April Verch, Sept. 12 at Noon....I dunnno this one???

• Peter Bradley Adams, Sept. 13 at Noon..from Eastmountainsouth :!:

• Jeffrey Foucault, Sept. 14 at Noon...... :D

• Carrie Rodriguez, Sept. 14 at 6PM......I really like Carrie's voice...she's half the duo of Chip and Carrie....Chip Taylor is actor Jon Voight's brother and the songwriter..he shares vocal duties, but it's her parts that always keep me coming back for more. Her official first solo debut is just dropping so this will prolly be featured during this on air performance.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:54 pm

Paddy, I did manage to hear Vienna Teng the other day and Slaid today. The WUMB live at noon interviews are way cool. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Karen...atta girl.

Missed Vienna on air but did see her at Eagleview a few weeks before our rendevoux for Mark Erelli and Lori McKenna. She was amazing and wowed the crowd with her singing and piano prowess.

Haven't seen Slaid Cleaves since Bumbershoot '02 or so in Seattle, Wa. and look fwd to catching up someday soon. love his stuff.

Hey Lauren...in case BUMBERSHOOT didn't do it for ya tonight.......

CONSHOHOCKEN :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:08 am

Right this second I'm listening to Ellis Paul singing "the world ain't slowing down" on WUMB!!! YEE HAW! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:00 pm

Folks,

WUMB is doing their Top 100 countdown again. It started this morning at 7am and will continue through Friday at 7pm. Last year Ellis was #13 as I recall....so I hope he fares as well this year. You can follow the countdown on the WUMB web site....but they don't give it away until the day after the artists are announced on air.

KarenZ

Tupelogirl#2

Postby Tupelogirl#2 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:22 pm

Thought you might all like to know...

Just heard Ellis on WUMB's Top 100...he came in at #30 :D . WUMB is posting the winners each day @ 6:30 pm on the website

http://www.wumb.org/programs/top100_2006.php

~ Laura
Tumbleweeds
Dance on the ground
Armadillos (poor little guys)
Upside down

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:17 am

Folks,

Just have to say again how much I love WUMB. They're batting 1000 so far this week. Yesterday they played Ellis' "she was" and right now I'm listening to "clarity". Awesome. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Karen. I just have to tell you that everytime I see your avatar it makes me smile, like this. ~~~~> :mrgreen:

I wish I could stream radio, but I can't.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Bonnie,

What a coincidence! My avatar makes me grin too! :D (It was inspired!)

Aren't you close enough to the WUMB signal to listen via radio?

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Probably in my car, but I only have a 7 minute commute. Besides I have been getting obsessive with certain CDs and can't bear to switch to radio.
(Essentials, Big Dream Blvd and a Carbon Leaf CD have been in constant rotation)

At work I get one station on a good day, silence on a bad one. :(

Is their format all Folk?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:58 pm

Yep. 24/7. I understand they're the only 24/7 folk station in the country. Just heard Peter Mulvey doing "corduroy shirt". *swoon* :wink:

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:Is their format all Folk?

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:30 pm

I carelessly changed the station on my radio alarmclock last night. In what I believe is referred to as serendipity, I awoke to Great Big Sea on WUMB. :mrgreen:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 pm

I have found that folk music is too mellow to wake me up in the morning. :oops:

Back to heavy metal for tomorrow! (yuck)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:47 pm

Folks,

An old WUMB member show with Ellis wil be broadcast on WUMB tomorrow (Friday) Dec, 29, 2006 on the Live at Noon show. -repeating at 12am on Dec. 30.

I'm in Boston with Richardf and Jela!!!! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:54 pm

Woo hoo! "King of 7th Avenue" is on WUMB right now!!! :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Wahoo to Wumb and King of 7th Avenue...

This is a song that I didn' t really get until a few years after owning the CD. It was slow and sad and there were more upbeat songs to hear. Then one day it hit me,...wow.... This song paints such a vivid story. You can picture it scene by scene. The line from the daughter Lisa... gets me everytime.

My daughter Lisa says to me,

"Dad the world is yours, and it's beautiful.
Don't throw it all away on memories.
Last edited by Patti on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:27 pm

PS

Karen the other day when I got in my car Deliver Me was playing on WERS...(Boston) I knew it was going to be a great day at work. !!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:40 am

Folks,

Just checked WUMB's online schedule for the week and saw that tonight's (Feb 27) Art of the Song at 7pm will feature Don Conoscenti. The description that follows says "Melody and the "lift" of lyric. Song analyst Michael Shorr comments on Ellis Paul's "All things Being the Same.""

I have no idea what that means, but I definitely want to know. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 am

Folks,

Actress Minnie Driver will be today's featured artist on WUMB's Live at Noon - sharing stories and songs from her latest CD Seastories. It's always interesting to me to hear the music of folks that we know primarily as actors (i.e. Ronny Cox, Michelle Greene, Russell Crowe, etc.)

Karen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:04 pm

WUMB will have Flynn on tomorrow!! (also posted in Looking For My Friends)

Thursday, September 6th, 2007 12:00PM Noon
WUMB Radio Interview
WUMB 91.9FM Boston, Worcester, Falmouth (91.7FM Newburyport)

Flynn will be interviewed on WUMB Radio to talk about hgis new album.
WUMB 91.9FM Boston, Worcester, Falmouth (91.7FM Newburyport)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 am

Ooooooh!!!! WUMB is playing "King of 7th Avenue" right now! Wow.....still spine-tingling even after all these years.....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:49 am

Folks,

Lots of terrific Thanksgiving Day programming on WUMB tomorrow - including Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" in its entirety at 12pm EST. Sadly I'm out of transmitter range and won't have access to a computer at Grandma's house, but maybe you guys and gals will.

Details here:

http://www.wumb.org/programs/holidays.php

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:23 am

On Tuesday WUMB played EP's "Independence Day" which just about knocked my socks off, yesterday they played EP's "Bring Me Backwards" which was a :shock: and right this minute I'm listing to the version of "Look at the Wind Blow" with Chris Trapper from Ellis Paul Live. Wow. PELDS therapy! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 am

They sure have been playing some Ellis gems!

Can't wait to see what today brings!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:55 pm

Ooooh! "King of 7th Avenue" is playing!

Talk about an oldie but a goodie! :shock: :D

KarenZ

Patti

WUMB

Postby Patti » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:33 pm

At about 2:15 this afternoon they played Say Something... I was driving in the car and knew I was almost out of the broadcast signal range, but it is a clear beautiful day, and the WUMB signal came in a good 5 miles driving distance longer for me...I heard the song to the end. :)

I wonder if playing early EP Gems is an every afternoon occurance!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 13, 2008 9:17 am

Patti,

I did hear "say something" that day, but didn't want to be obnoxious by saying "Me too!" :)

OK....so a few minutes ago WUMB played "when we begin"....and now Jimmy LaFave is swooning away....although I don't recognize this song. MonicaR are you listening in? The line he's repeating is "won't you please give your sweet love to me." Maybe that's the title?

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue May 13, 2008 9:45 am

I'm-a listening and the title of Jimmy's song is "Give Your Sweet Love to Me" from Highway Trance.

One of those songs I'd love to hear live some day!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 am

Yikes. I don't have that CD. :oops:

KarenZ

monicar wrote:I'm-a listening and the title of Jimmy's song is "Give Your Sweet Love to Me" from Highway Trance.

One of those songs I'd love to hear live some day!

Monica R.

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 am

Oh Karen, it's a must.

My all time favorite CD of his, with one of my all time favorite pictures of him too. I got the CD signed a few years back, where he wrote "I love you baby!"

My husband gave me a very strange look when I came home from THAT trip! :lol:

Monica R.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:01 am

Weightless!!!!!

I LOVE this song!!!!

Just made my rainy New England Day!

:D

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:01 am

Ooh-la-la! Ellis singing "Weightless"!!! MonicaR are you listening?? :)

Karenz

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:02 am

Oh My Goodness ...... I think we had a simultaneous post, Karen!!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:04 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hee....hee.....hee.....

"Weightless" is definietly an oldie but a TRES-goodie. ;)

(Take that Herve!) :D

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:55 pm

MonicaR,

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy :!: :!: :!:

:D

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”