Eddie from Ohio

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Eddie from Ohio

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:31 am

Believe it or not, in my distress about the six and a half hour trek across New England that resulted in the mostly-missed Slaid Cleaves show Saturday, I forgot to post about an Eddie from Ohio show Friday night, 21 July in Lowell Massachusettes. It was great as usual, lots of great songs and funny banter among the band members, but Julie Murphy-Wells looked really, really beat at the end; and as much as I enjoy their music, the last encore looked to be such a struggle, I wish they had nixed it. I rarely even do an EP set list so don't ask me about that.

It was great to enjoy the show with good friends, even though they engaged in alot of giggling throughout the show. Let's just see if they are paying attention and want to add anything.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

mm

Postby mm » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 pm

Sue Ellen, I cave. And I finally signed back up again for the board (better late than never!). Okay, Okay, I was one of the parties involved in said giggling incident. I couldn't help it. My friends just need to stop being so funny (you know when you just get bit by the bug that way). I hid it as best I could, and I really hope it wasn't noticed by anyone besides us. By all means, I would be mortified!

Great show, and I loved the harmonies of EFO. They have a real strength in the mixing of their voices. Thanks for introducing me, Sue Ellen!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:37 am

Monica,

Nice to see you back on the board! I have yet to see an EFO show, although I've been hearing about them alot from Sue Ellen. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:03 am

Had the pleasure of seeing and meeting Robbie Schaefer "after the deluge" at Eagleview concerts on the square. The show was called off due to the storm that came upon us a few minutes before showtime. I was hoping to get to finally hear Robbie Schaefer sing a few songs. It was kid's night with face painting and juggler's and music by Robbie and Cat's Pajamas. At least that was the plan. We all scrambled for cover and we ended up inside at Brickside Grille just behind the stage.

Ok - what's up with all these bald is beautiful men? Just left Darryl Purpose's website - he's bald.

Ya got DonCon - him too.

Eddie, uh, Robbie from Ohio - Mr.Clean as well.

In a million years I could not pull it off - but if I could!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:42 pm

I heard EFO this morning for the first time. It was a song about his little sister when they were growing up in India and it was really sweet. The station was staticky (is that a word?) so I didn't catch all of it but I really liked it. Anyone know the name?
-Katie

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:23 am

Hey Katie: EFO is a group, not a person; I think that might be a song Robbie Schaefer wrote about his sister, but there may be more than one. Since I'm an ep-head and not an ed-head, I'm still trying to find a title for you.

You could check their link:

http://eddiefromohio.com
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Oh Sue Ellen, dontya know...Katie just graduated and is to be a teacher soon. She'll be handing out the homework. Let's let her enjoy the last month of Summer without homework.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:46 am

Katie, that might have been Twenty Thousand Hearts you heard, but I'm not sure.

If this link works, you can take a listen from a show that was recorded:

http://www.archive.org/details/efo2006-05-13.mk21-r4

I think it's the seventh track.

Sue Ellen

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:17 pm

I could tell by the way the dj introduced it that they're a group. But the dude (the lead singer?) told a story about his sister before they played the song, so that's why I said 'his.'
That is the song! Thanks. Did it sound like the Chipmunks to you, too? It was playing in fast forward, lol.
I'm always curious to know how bands get their names. Or where Ellis' name came from. Anyone know about EFO or Ellis?
-Katie

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:46 pm

Well, I gleaned this from the EFO website, under "Band" then "Julie Murphy Wells:"

Julie Murphy Wells wrote:Sometime in the fall of 1990, I was at a Robbie show with Mike and Robbie started singing "Amy" and Mike and I started singing harmony, and lo and behold "Eddie from Ohio" was born. Well not really, it wasn't until our second practice that Eddie joined up, played percussion on some boxes and "Eddie from Ohio" was born. Well, that's not true either. Our first show, February 3, 1991, we were booked as "Five Foot Seven". God Bless Mike, he really wanted that name, but he was overruled.

and this under "Eddie Hartness":

Eddie Hartness wrote:This is also the time when the nickname "Eddie from Ohio" was born. Here now is the definitive answer to "where did you get the name?" It all started with a girl named Elizabeth. She and I had met through the gang with the band, the Shuffle. At the time these guys enjoyed a band called "Firehose". The lead singer's name for that group is Ed Crawford, but he called himself Ed from Ohio. For some reason, Elizabeth started calling me Eddie from Ohio and it caught on with everyone else. One of my band mates, Tim Hermes, thought it was funny and designed a logo for my bass drumhead and surprised me with it at a rehearsal. It was a black drumhead with Eddie from Ohio spelled out in duct tape. That is how it all started.
So after college, I moved back to Northern Virginia in '90. The band I was currently in had fallen apart and I was left without a musical outlet for the first time since high school. Very discouraged, I took up substitute teaching to make ends meet. I quickly realized that teaching, at that time, was not for me. I started delivering packages and computers for a small company in Springfield, always hoping I would find a gig somewhere. Well, lo and behold, I get a call at 7 am one day from Mike Clem. "Eddie!" he says, "What are you doing? Can I stop by?" Well, we chatted for a while and he offered me a gig with the Jellyfish Blues Band! I was so excited to be offered a great gig with people I knew. Playing with those guys was so much fun, and I met a lot of people and I felt like I was getting back in the swing of things.
Then, one day, I got a call from Mike again. "Hey, what are you doing? We're with our friend, Julie, and we're going over some songs. Have you ever played hand percussion?" I never had tried congas, but it sounded like fun. So I went over to Robbie's house with a case of beer to check out what they were doing. I don't remember how we went from that day to our first gig at Roratunga Rodeo, but it all came together. That was the birth of EFO, even though we hadn't decided on a name yet. And so began our journey together, for the last eleven years with my great friends in music.

Sue Ellen

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Interesting, thanks :)
-Katie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 am

OK....I'm hooked. A friend sent me EFO's this is me and I'm bonkers over "baltimore" written by band-member Robbie Schaefer with lead vocals by Julie Murphy Wells. Oh my goodness....you have got to hear this song....and you CAN on their MySpace site!...(which actually looks quite neglected.)

Eddie From Ohio on Myspace

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 am

Or you might be able to hear it live tomorrow evening at Wolftrap, if you're in the DC area. The forecast is great and there are still lawnseats available.

http://www.wolf-trap.org/

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 am

I'm very tempted..... :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Just do it. :lol:

Sue Ellen

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:15 am

I hope someone else was able to catch this really great show; it was amazing. And Julie Murphy-Wells had bare feet. I know how alot of you like that kind of thing.

Sue Ellen

proflandry

Postby proflandry » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:25 am

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go last night. I think it's the first time I've missed an EfO show in like four years. Do you have a set list?

I first discovered Ellis Paul through Eddie from Ohio, when he opened up for them at the Birchmere last year.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:31 am

Hey...Welcome proflandry! :) Always nice to see a new face around these parts. Hopefully Sue Ellen kept a setlist or has one of those photgraphic memories. :wink:

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 am

Yes Welcome Proflandry...I saw your query over in Edhead land but I usually wait to see if an Edhead will post something, because I'm really an EPhead, not an Edhead.

Huge crowd, great night, opening act was full of energy and verve, and I'll try to catch one of their shows. Someone and the sixers.

No set list, too dark under the pavillion. Let's see, they opened with This is Me, followed by And the Rain crashed down. Other tunes: Jerusalem, Fly, Julie's gospel tune, Eddie's drumpire, Eddie's concubine, Baltimore, If you love me than leave me alone...the one where all the edhead's milk a cow...and the encore was walk humbly son.

Lots of antics from Michael Clem, who is always a riot. Sorry I'm not better on the titles. More songs might come to me later. It was a really, really great show.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:59 am

proflandry wrote:
I first discovered Ellis Paul through Eddie from Ohio, when he opened up for them at the Birchmere last year.

And I discovered EFO when they played with Ellis Paul last November at Jammin' Java.

Sweet.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:04 am

You saw Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers??? :shock:

They are hilarious. Did Kit do his Napoleon Dynamite dance??
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:14 am

Yes, that's who they were!! OMG, great musicians and very funny.

I think Kit is the one who sprinted up the stairs of the Pavillion, raced across the lawn and back down to the stage, then did the macarana, plus some break dancing. What a hoot. I laughed so hard I had to scramble over several rows of seats, take off my heels, and sprint myself to a bathroom. Thank goodness the folks behind me were so gracious.

I don't recall if Kit danced like Napolean Dynamite, but Michael Clem from EFO did a fair rendition at some point.

I'll have to watch Napolean Dynamite again to see if he does the macarana.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 am

Oh, Independence Indiana, Old Dominion (?), and Lady Freedom

Return to “Looking for My Friends”