Slow Runner

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Slow Runner

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Hi everyone,

The opening act for Josh Ritter last night was really, really good. A young group from South Carolina called Slow Runner. I guess there's 3 guys in the band (I looked on their web site), but only 2 guys were there last night: vocalist/keyboardist and acoustic guitar/backup vocals. Clever catchy songs; very charming. Check them out:

Slow Runner on MySpace

Slow Runner Web Site

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:33 pm

I can sense the excitement you have for these guys. Just over to their site and read thru the lyrics of nearly all the songs on their CD. all the ones listed anyway. I can tell you that from the lyrics alone my interest is high.
The lyrics are more simple than detailed, and that works more often than not when the music is right.

At one point in my musical youth, I just loved the simplicity of the music of a certain guy named Jonathan Richman. Folks would look at me like I was nuts, but I didn't care, he was great imo.

Saw him later in a popular movie: Something About Mary with Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, and Ben Stiller. He did the music and appeared onscreen a couple times doing just the very same thing that attracted me in the first place. Simple lyrics and sound.

Can't wait to sample these guys. It looks like the kind of stuff most guys can relate to. Memories of High School angst and loss of a love or a loved one.

Karen, if you happened to get the CD and can comment someday, TIA.
Just love the serendipity factor when the opener grabs your attention.

Hope to hear about Josh Ritter someday too. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:02 am

You can listen to 4 of their songs on MySpace. I didn't get the CD because I didn't have the energy to squeeze through the crowded room to the merch table....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:45 am

Karen, that's about the nicest plug a band could ever receive.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”