Woody Guthrie/Ellis Paul Quiz

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Woody Guthrie/Ellis Paul Quiz

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:39 am

Having recently returned from the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival, I thought a Woody Guthrie quiz was in order. No prizes. No pressure. Just fun (I hope!). :) Post as many or as few answers that you may have as replies and we'll see how we all do collectively. :)

Questions

1. When [date and year] was Woody Guthrie born?
2. Where was Woody born?
3. What Woody Guthrie song (besides "God's Promise") is Ellis Paul best known for?
4. Woody moved to Los Angeles in 1937 and was hired to do a radio show on KFVD. What was the nickname of his on-air singing partner?
5. In 1940 this folklorist recorded Woody in a series of conversations and songs for the Library of Congress.
6. In the late 1940s Woody wrote songs and performed with this politically radical singing group.
7. During the month that Woody worked for the Bonneville Power Authority in Oregon, he composed this collection of songs.
8. What is the title of Woody’s autobiographical novel published in 1943?
9. After serving in the Merchant Marines during World War II, Woody returned to New York settling on what street near Coney Island?
10. This British artist put music to Woody Guthrie lyrics and released a Grammy-winning CD that was named after that same street.
11. In what year was Woody inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
12. Which of Woody’s famous protégés was inducted that same year?
13. On March 13, 2001 this Texas artist released a CD titled Texoma that includes a song he wrote called "Woody Guthrie".
14. Name the Woody Guthrie hidden-track song that Rob Laurens and Ellis Paul sing on Rob’s The Honey on the Mountain.
15. Name the film released on DVD on March 27, 2001 that documents Billy Bragg’s visit to Woody's hometown in his quest to learn more about Woody and the making of his Woody-collaboration CD.
16. This Woody Guthrie tribute CD was released on Ani DiFranco’s Righteous Babe label on May 23, 2000.
17. The Maine-born Texas-living artist put music to Woody Guthrie’s "This Morning I Am Born Again" on his release titled Broke Down.
18. Who wrote Woody Guthrie: A Life?
19. Name the Woody Guthrie song recorded by Don Conoscenti and Ellis Paul on Don’s Paradox of Grace.
20. Woody Guthrie died from complications of this disease on October 3, 1967.

Bonus Question
In 1994, while sitting at the bar of this venue looking at a picture of Woody on the wall, Ellis Paul was inspired to get a Woody Guthrie tattoo...which he sports on his right shoulder.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:19 am

Answers:

#3 Woody song Ellis most known for playing besides God' Promise?

Got to be what these folkies do to get to all their gigs.

#5 IN 1940, folklorist interviewed Woody for Library of Congress.

Alan Lomax comes to mind

#10 This British artist put music to Woody Guthrie lyrics and released a Grammy-winning CD that was named after that same street.

That answer is around here somewhere, I'm sure. :wink:

#13 On March 13, 2001 this Texas artist released a CD titled Texoma that includes a song he wrote called "Woody Guthrie".

Hmmn, not sure I've heard this guy much. :wink:

#17 The Maine-born Texas-living artist put music to Woody Guthrie’s "This Morning I Am Born Again" on his release titled Broke Down.

The guy that wears those shirts with the plaid sleeves. Oh what's his name again? For now I'll just call him Plaid Sleeves........ :lol:

#19 Name the Woody Guthrie song recorded by Don Conoscenti and Ellis Paul on Don’s Paradox of Grace.

What a great album. What a great song. Think Ellis did this Live at Kerrville with DonCon the first time we saw Ellis play live. Yes, I'm sure of it. If not mistaken, Title of a movie starring Charles Bronson.

#20 Woody Guthrie died from complications of this disease on October 3, 1967.

I know little about this disease but the name of it is Huntington's Disease.

Bonus: In 1994, while sitting at the bar of this venue looking at a picture of Woody on the wall, Ellis Paul was inspired to get a Woody Guthrie tattoo...which he sports on his right shoulder.

Ok..this is a tough one....I've seen the venue and poster in a DVD.. :wink:
which one? hmmmn.....without looking...I'll guess that venue in California, maybe Northern California, maybe wine country even, the one on the DVD 3000 miles where Ellis descends stairs to approach the listening room.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:43 am

We're off to a good start! :) One thing, however....you're way off on the Bonus Question. Gotta come WAY east..... ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks for the Woody quiz Karen.

With a lot of help from Joe Klein's book Woody Guthrie: A Life (essential reading) + Google this is what I've come up with. Not sure about The Blue Door for the bonus question - a guess given the location.

Sunday 14th July 1912

2. Where was Woody born?
Okemah, Oklahoma

3. What Woody Guthrie song (besides "God's Promise") is Ellis Paul best known for?
“Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key”

4. Woody moved to Los Angeles in 1937 and was hired to do a radio show on KFVD. What was the nickname of his on-air singing partner?
Lefty Lou from Ole Mizzoo

5. In 1940 this folklorist recorded Woody in a series of conversations and songs for the Library of Congress.
Alan Lomax

6. In the late 1940s Woody wrote songs and performed with this politically radical singing group.
The Weavers

7. During the month that Woody worked for the Bonneville Power Authority in Oregon, he composed this collection of songs.
Columbia River Collection

Bound for Glory

9. After serving in the Merchant Marines during World War II, Woody returned to New York settling on what street near Coney Island?
Mermaid Avenue

10. This British artist put music to Woody Guthrie lyrics and released a Grammy-winning CD that was named after that same street.
Billy Bragg

11. In what year was Woody inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

12. Which of Woody’s famous protégés was inducted that same year?
Bob Dylan

13. On March 13, 2001 this Texas artist released a CD titled Texoma that includes a song he wrote called "Woody Guthrie".
Jimmy LaFave

14. Name the Woody Guthrie hidden-track song that Rob Laurens and Ellis Paul sing on Rob’s The Honey on the Mountain.
Pretty Boy Floyd

15. Name the film released on DVD on March 27, 2001 that documents Billy Bragg’s visit to Woody's hometown in his quest to learn more about Woody and the making of his Woody-collaboration CD.
Billy Bragg & Wilco – “Man in the Sand (The Making of Mermaid Avenue)”

16. This Woody Guthrie tribute CD was released on Ani DiFranco’s Righteous Babe label on May 23, 2000.
‘Til We Outnumber ‘Em

17. The Maine-born Texas-living artist put music to Woody Guthrie’s "This Morning I Am Born Again" on his release titled Broke Down.
Slaid Cleaves

18. Who wrote Woody Guthrie: A Life?
Joe Klein

19. Name the Woody Guthrie song recorded by Don Conoscenti and Ellis Paul on Don’s Paradox of Grace.
Vigilante Man

20. Woody Guthrie died from complications of this disease on October 3, 1967.
Huntingdon’s Chorea

Bonus Question
In 1994, while sitting at the bar of this venue looking at a picture of Woody on the wall, Ellis Paul was inspired to get a Woody Guthrie tattoo...which he sports on his right shoulder.
The Blue Door, Oklahoma City

Richard

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:15 am

Jela, You go BIRTHDAY GIRL! :) You have almost all of them correct. The Bonus Question answer is NOT the Blue Door, although that's a wonderful guess. Keep traveling east. ;)

And although the answer to #3 is arguably a subjective one, I must disagree. There's a Woody song that Ellis has been performing for years...long before "Minor Key" was put to music by Billy Bragg. Shall I give more of a hint? You guys have seen a picture where it's written in stone... ;)

I also have a different answer for #6. The Weavers formed in 1947, and I'm not sure Woody ever belonged to the Weavers although Pete Seeger did. Woody and Pete BOTH belonged to an earlier group that gained popularity in 1941. Their first relase was an album called Songs for John Doe.

Good going! We're almost there! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:25 am

A few add'l guesses and comments....

Sunday 14th July 1912

Don't know the story of Woody's birth but being the parent of a son who arrived 14 days after the estimated due date........how close did Woody Guthrie come to being born on the Fourth of July.......wow, that would have been something!!! :wink:

“Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key”

My guess was actually Hard Travellin.

Bound for Glory

A movie came out with this title starring The Kung Fu actor David Carradine. Tho I saw it long about the time it was new, don't recall the story. Maybe the character David played sang songs across the country for migrant workers....Was this the Woody Guthrie story based upon the book?
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:28 am

Yes, "Hard Travelin'" is the answer to #3. :)

Now, all we need are answers for #6 and the Bonus Question.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:44 am

Karen

The Almanac Singers for No 6.

Trying to get my US geography hat on - east of Oklahoma for the Bonus Question how about Eddie's Attic ?

Richard

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:53 am

Clueless on the answer to #6....it was long before my musical consiousness kicked in around the time the Beatles came into our family's living room via The Ed Sullivan Show.

As to the bonus Question, which venue has the poster of Woody that inspired Ellis to get a tattoo of Woody Guthrie on his shoulder.

I don't know that answer either, but it's really cool how close the tattoo resembles the poster....as seen in the DVD 3000 Miles when Ellis and friend travelled the Country on Tour with a video camera to document the life of a Folkie on......and off.... :wink: ....the road. That was scary!!!

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Club Passim for so many reasons.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:01 am

I'm sure someone will get #6.

As for the Bonus Question....I think, but I'm not certain...that Ellis mentions it in his Notes from the Road book....although I could be dilirious.... :) He has definitely mentioned it in interviews, etc. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 am

Wow, Jela, Paddy, Karen: very impressive.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:23 am

Jela! Sorry! Somehow I missed your Almanac Singers answer for #6! Yes, that's correct! :)

We're down to the last one - how ironic that it's the Bonus Question! :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:31 am

Is it a venue in OKC?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:35 am

Nope. Much further east. :)

Google guys. ;)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:46 am

The Ram's Head in Annapolis? Would there be a Woody Guthrie photo there? The venue there has pictures of everybody...Ellis's photo is right at eye height right outside the women's rest room...I know because there is always a line there.

Sue Ellen

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:49 am

The wildest of guesses is going to be:

Bluebird Cafe In Nashville, Tenn.

I know I could grab the book Notes From the Road or The DVD 3000 Miles but how much fun would that be?
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:53 am

SE, you went a little TOO far east. ;) Again....I repeat....when in doubt....GOOGLE! :lol:

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:54 am

Paddy....nope. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:57 am

Ok, east of OKC and west of Annapolis leaves me with but one guess.

The Grey Eagle In Asheville, North Carolina.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:59 am

or is it Grey Goose, maybe?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Neither. ;)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Hmmmn.......I know we are getting close.

How about the TOWNE CRIER in Pawlings, New York
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Ellis, jump in any time here..... :lol:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:22 pm

My answer is in Dayton, Ohio, the Canal Street Tavern - I can't claim any of the other answers as Richard has posted them all - he knows so much more than me about music.

I knew that I had read somewhere recently about the Woody Guthrie tattoo and if my answer is right then it was a very old issue of Leak magazine.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:32 pm

Jela, you got it! Yes, it was the Canal Street Tavern in Dayton, Ohio.

Here's what Ellis said in the Winter, 1994 issue of Leak Magazine:

Question

Tell us the story behind the tattoo on your shoulder?

Answer

Well, uh, Emily my girlfriend, had talked about wanting both of us to get a tattoo for a long time, and I would always kind of roll my eyes at her. She wanted to get the Woodpecker off the cover of this Tom Robbins novel, Still Life with Woodpecker, tattooed on her back. For awhile I was just like, alright, you go ahead and do that, and she kept trying to talk me into it. I said, "Well, you know, I can't think of anything that I would want tattooed on my body."

Then I was out at this club in Dayton, Ohio, called the Canal Street Tavern and there was a guy behind the bar, Jamie, who was giving me beers; he had tattoos all over his body. And right behind him was this poster of Woody Guthrie, and uh, I'm a huge fan of Woody Guthrie, and all the books that have been written about him. I've read them all, including the ones written by himself. I just thought that would be the only thing I would want on there. So I drew the picture of Woody from the poster in my journal. I'm a fairly good artist so it was a good likeness and when we got back to Boston, Emily and I went and got her Woodpecker, and I got Woody Guthrie. She's got her Woody and so do I.

Now you know the rest of the story.... :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Wow, Jela, you are the bomb. I hope it's a good birthday, and a good dinner tonight.

Have fun.

Sue Ellen

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 pm

Karen & Sue Ellen, Thank you so much - birthday brain eventually got into gear!

In fact its down to you Karen as after we had met you in May, when we got home I was reading the old Leak magazines that Richard has (because he'd talked to you about them) and I just needed to recall where it was that I had read the story about the tattoo.

We'll drink a toast to you this evening.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:49 pm

I can't see I remember us talking about Leak Magazine...but I'll take your word for it! Hope you have a wonderful birthday dinner tonight! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:49 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Ellis, jump in any time here..... :lol:

Karen, while I did not expect Ellis to jump in here and tell us the answer, I'm glad we got the next best thing: Ellis telling the story.

Thanks for that, it's a dandy. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:58 am

I apologize profusely for not seeing that it was Richard who submitted all those correct answers yesterday and NOT our birthday girl! So sorry Richard! :oops: I was caught off guard since it's usually Jela who's doing the postings for "Richard + Jela".

If I can't blame jet-lag....can I blame heat delirium? ;)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:02 am

ADHD? naw, you are too organized. usually. :lol:

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:10 am

I'm telling you.....HEAT :!: :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 am

If you can't stand the HEAT..........head to Ogunquit...... 8) :D :wink:

ooops...that's a cross - post isn't it?....HEAT, Man it's HOT here, too :!:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 am

"She's got her Woody and so do I."

That made the 12 year old in me giggle.
:oops:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens