Music in the News

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Music in the News

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:38 am

Folks,

A day or so ago there were several music-related news stories in the newspaper.....which got me to thinking that we should have a "music in the news" thread here for these types of things. When/if you see music-related news items that may or may not necessarily be about a particular artist, please post links in this thread.

I'll start off with a couple I stumbled across this week:

Police review death of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones

Jason Mraz makes history with 71-week chart run

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: Music in the News

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Great idea Karen!

Read that article on Brian Jones and learned more than I ever knew about the man an his untimely death...

Jason Mraz rocks....he just does, and the CD we have here at the house (his first one) got a lot of ocd play when it debuted.

On a side note, we got to chat with Ellis after the boat cruise in Boston when he along with the band (and Rachael) strolled into a nearby watering hole where we happened to be catching a late night bite to eat.

In our brief chat with Ellis, still in his hat, I took the opportunity to tell him how much I loved the look. I went so far as to say it worked in Jason Mraz cool way!

He grimaced at my comment and let if fall by the bye and bye...

I notice he's not wearing it much these days.... :P
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:33 am

Folks,

Peter Yarrow speaks out on "The Role of Song in Advancing Health Care Reform". The spirit of Woody Guthrie lives on! :-)

Peter Yarrow - The Role of Song in Advancing Health Care Reform

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:33 am

Ellis posted this link on Facbook about Passim. a somewhat sad begininng but one that will hopefully a happy ending...

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... ?page=full

PS..The article mentions Jim Kweskin... he played with Geoff Muldar at SS last night.. it was a good size crowd.. plenty of people came with the "albums" to get signed!! Folk will survive. :D
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:22 am

Folks,

The names of this year's inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have been announced: ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges will be inducted on March 15, 2010. More at the link below.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces its Inductees for 2010

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks for that, Karen, what comes to mind immediately is a piece I read somewhere a few months ago that Phil Collins can no longer play drums due to a medical condition that robbed him of the muscle strength in his arms and hands to the point he can no longer grasp drum sticks. Would have been cool to see him at the induction concert wailin away on the drums. Oh well, I can't dance, but he can still sing! 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Folks,

There's was an interesting article - linked below - in yesterday's Sunday paper. Turns out vinyl never went completely away......and is making a comeback :!: :shock: I love this quote:
Resurgence stems from bands, fans yearning for something more tangible than digital.

Vinyl albums making the rounds again

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Folks,

Here's another article about the resurgence of vinyl from the January/February 2010 issue of AARP Magazine:

How Records Got Their Groove Back by Bill Newcott

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:57 am

I have been meaing to (for, oh, the last 20 years or so) buy a new cartridge needle for my turntable. I've moved that thing around the country 4 times now, still no vinyl played. Hec, the LP's get moved in the original boxes we left Houston with. Been thinkin lately I should check the value on some online, who knows what they may be worth, what with all the touring they've done!

Learned recently that places like Best Buy sell new turntables that allow one to record vinyl straight to ipod...hmmn, there's a thought!

Also of note, Dawes just released a new album called North Hills, and when I got to see them and talk with them in Philly after the show at merch they had CDs for sale of course, but also, Vinyl. Wow!!! Not only that but they put it out in a double vinyl package, spreading the 12 songs over 4 sides. I was impressed, why I don't know. I'm not really an audiophile or anything, and the reasons they did sort of sailed over my head, but safe to say, if you're into the difference vinyl offers, it's there!

Nice big album cover, too! I almost dropped some coin on it, if nothing else, to get motivated to get out there and get that new needle! :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Those of you who watch the CBS Evening News may have seen this report a couple weeks ago:

Musicians Find Own Way as Labels Struggle

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 am

Lots in the news about today being the other EP's 75th birthday! :shock: Here's a nice article in today's New York Daily News....(the rag that makes an appearance in "Angel in Manhattan".) :)

Elvis at 75 reminds us how his music keeps him, and us too, forever young by David Hinckley

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:10 am

KarenZ wrote:Those of you who watch the CBS Evening News may have seen this report a couple weeks ago:

Musicians Find Own Way as Labels Struggle

KarenZ

I just read this story Karen - trying to figure out where to find the money to be allowed to sing on Ellis's next CD :)
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:25 am

I learned the sad news y'day and read again today more about Larry Weir, on air personality and radio station program director. He was 57 years old and died after suffering a brain injury from a fall at home.

She said Mr. Weir was instrumental in getting such folk artists as Tom Russell, Ellis Paul, and Slaid Cleaves to come here over the years.

Larry Weir dies, Fixture at WDHX FM

side note:

I was thinking of getting a ladder to reach the high roof here and it's stories like this one that convince me I have no business climbing that high. I will leave it to the younger spryer among us. I have heard too many stories of weekend warriors tackling high rooflines only to fall.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 am

Wow....that is sad. Thanks, Paddy.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 am

Sadly, another death to report: Kate McGarrigle. You may know her as being the mother of musicians Martha and Rufus Wainwright.

Folk singer Kate McGarrigle dies

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Such sad news. I did post some thoughts on another db I'm a member of:

Saw her and Anna McGarrigle a few times and enjoyed every moment of their rather 'shambolic' approach to live performances. Saw Rufus, Martha, Lily and others on stage with them from a young age and it always seemed as if I was just watching a family get together where everyone took turns, never quite knowing who/what was coming next.

The song 'Talk to me of Mendocino' made me want to visit Mendocino which I did manage to do in the early 90's. 'Matapedia' always brings back memories of travelling from Quebec to Halifax, just after the CD release, on the train and one of the night time stops was Matapedia. 'Martha' always send shivers through me.

A huge loss. RIP Kate.

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:04 am

Kate playing piano in London with Rufus singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Rufus and Kate - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Thanks for helping us dream Kate.
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 am

...and one of my all time favourites Talk to me of Mendocino

It's giving me goosebumps listening to it.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 am

McCabe's guitar shop is still on my bucket list of venues....

Gerald McCabe, founder of McCabe's Guitar Shop, dies at 82
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 am

For The Sake of the Song. It's a film about Anderson Fair Retail Restaurant in Houston. You might say I grew up there, musically. Lyle Lovett, Lucinda Williams, Robert Keen, Nanci Griffith, Eric Taylor, more. I picture this film a movie picture of fingerprints from hands that left marks on a genre. Tell friends. For the sake of the song.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:51 am

Folks,

Twenty-five years after the famous "We Are the World" recording session, another one was held this past Monday with a completely new group of artists. From the photo, I see that Sugarland was there along with Celine Dion, Tony Bennett, Pink, Jeff Bridges, Vince Vaughn, Usher, Akon, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Toni Braxton, Snoop Dogg, Josh Groban, and others.

LA Times: An all-star 'We Are the World' remake for Haiti relief

You Tube: 'We Are the World' Class of 2010

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 pm

That's great can't wait for the new version to be available. I still have my 45 of the original song!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 am

Folks,

From the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame:

February 23, 2010 – New York – Today, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces the artists who will induct this year’s honorees.

➢ ABBA will be inducted by Barry Gibb and Robin Gibb (BeeGees)
➢ Genesis will be inducted by Trey Anastasio (Phish)
➢ Jimmy Cliff will be inducted by Wyclef Jean
➢ The Hollies will be inducted by Steve Van Zandt
➢ The Stooges will be inducted by Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)
➢ David Geffen will be inducted by Jackson Browne
➢ Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman, and Otis Blackwell will be inducted by Carole King

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place at The Waldorf-Astoria on March 15, 2010 at 8:30 p.m. EST, and will be televised live. More info at link below:

Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame 2010

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

In an LA Times interview with Joni Mitchell and a guy who performs as Joni Mitchell (in full drag) Joni slams Bob Dylan as not authentic adding that everything about Bob Dylan is fake from his name to his voice.

Now, I read once somewhere that folks accused Dylan of "borrowing" Ramblin Jack Elliot's act ~ and ~ It's possible it's not Dylan's natural voice we've heard all these years. Perhaps Dylan capitalized on the uniqueness of his early sound and milked it? I don't know enough about Dylan to comment but imho the slam isn't that harsh, really.

Kind of reminds me of what you might hear in an old folks home and the pun here cracks me up as I type it....ahh, that old so and so. What's not sitting well with me here this morning is that I'm at an age where an aging Joni Mitchell is old enough to be slamming an aging Dylan.

It's a Joni Mitchell concert, sans Joni
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:35 am

I heard about this. Wonder what brought this sort of thing up after all these years. Dylan has gone through so many incarnations over the years and has definitely "borrowed" from other musicians, but isn't that what "folk" music is all about?

I think it was Sara Lee Guthrie who said something to that effect. Said her grandfather stole from everybody. HA!

I think Joni is semi-nuts these days!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

"steal from the best and borrow the rest"

Dylan stole Ramblin Jack Elliot's style. Van Morrison says Springsteen stole his act. Listened to E Street Radio last week and heard it. Comedian Dennis Leary stole the late Bill Hicks act. I don't judge.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:17 pm

I think there should be a song written about all this stealing!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:35 pm

I think there should be a song written about all this stealing!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 pm

And I think Ellis Paul is just the man to do it! :)

KarenZ

monicar wrote:I think there should be a song written about all this stealing!

paddyinthepub wrote:I think there should be a song written about all this stealing!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 pm

OMG! I hit SUBMIT and The Man came on the radio! 3000 Miles! I love WUMB! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:54 pm

"beg, steal, or borrow, two nickels and a rhyme"
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:54 am

Hey there Tony
Did you hear about Joni
She's by George "Willin"
To take on Dylan

Now she don't know Jack
Ramblin on some fact
That he stole way back
Well it sounds like crack
to me
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:16 am

It's a deep blue line
On a blue grape vine
It's a white lie whine
A Case of You malign
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Weekend newspapers announced the death of Dave Fisher - founding member of The Highwaymen:

Dave Fisher, Member of the Highwaymen, Dies at 69

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Here's the New York Times report on the death of Irwin Silber, founder of Sing Out! magazine:

Irwin Silber, Champion of the Folk Music Revival, Dies at 84 by William Grimes

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Folks,

Nice piece on NPR today - Buddy Holly's 75th birthday - with an interview with Peter Asher, who produced a new tribute CD called Listen to Me. Snippets of several covers, includng Natalie Merchant....

You can listen here:

Buddy Holly At 75: A Tribute To An Unlikely Star

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”