Folk Alley's Top 100 Essential Folk Songs

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

care

Folk Alley's Top 100 Essential Folk Songs

Postby care » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 am

Hey everyone:

NPR's front page today had a link to Folk Alley's Top 100 Essential Folk Songs, and NPR is also streaming it online. Lots of good tunes on there.

Here's the link via NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 068&ps=bb3

Thoughts?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Folk Alley's Top 100 Essential Folk Songs

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 am

I'm pleased that Woody Guthrie is at the top of the list and appears 4 times total. There does seem to be one glaring omission :wink: .....but, then again, this list seems to be bent towards very traditional songs.....

It's all subjective......and it's all good.....(even Dylan says so.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:42 pm

...but then Karen which song would you choose????

It'd be a difficult call to make or would it?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:11 am

Jela,

Well, even though they are ALL essential to me, ;) ....if I had to pick just one it would be "3000 Miles". :)

How 'bout you?

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:...but then Karen which song would you choose????

It'd be a difficult call to make or would it?

Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:45 pm

I think.....

Personal Favorite - Angel in Manhattan

Sentimental favorite - Welcome Home to Maine

Favorite to listen to with my wife - Home

Original Favorite - Eighteen

But for the NPR 100.......

3000 Miles
Last edited by PotatoPicker on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:48 pm

What a pleasure to have PotatoPicker back in our midst.....and hope he stays for a long while.... :)

KarenZ

care

Postby care » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 am

I think.....
ok along the same lines as potato picker...

Personal Favorite - Speed of Trees or Maria's Beautiful Mess

Sentimental favorite - Words

Favorite to listen to with my (boyfriend)- Home (this house is just an address you're my home)
OR
Maria's Beautiful Mess (he laughs at me because even on the cd i mimic when EP switches from playing with a pick to finger picking...)

Original Favorite - Maria's Beautiful Mess

But for the NPR 100.......

either 3000 miles or The World Aint Slowin Down (although I don't really enjoy either of them because they are his "popular" songs they are his "essential" songs)

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 pm

It is nice to have a little bit of time from work (which is insane) and coaching both baseball and softball this spring and summer (which makes me insane - this weekend both teams are playing in tournaments and I need my clone badly.......) to hang out here a little.

Getting the itch for another show - thinking a little Harbor Cruise is in order :)

But I love this topic, even if the Folk Alley people have whiffed here...... And I can't just choose one, so I thought, you know there is a song that I just love to listen to, there is one that really tugs at my personal heartstrings in a special way, there's one I like to listen to with someone else - a special someone, or family, or... there's the one that really hooked me in the first place for whatever reason... and there's the one I think says something about him and his music to the world.

I'll bet I could think of 5 more categories easily, but these 5 work for me.
Jeff

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:26 am

Can tell I was exhausted when I wrote my list...... couldn't even count all the way to Eighteen ????????
Jeff

Return to “Say Something”