incredibly frustrated

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

goodja

incredibly frustrated

Postby goodja » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:00 pm

So, Ellis played Kerrville in May, Eliis goes to okemah in July--Ellis is scheduled for San antonio, Austin and Dallas with ZERO in Houston--what the heck is up with this?--And to add isnult to injury TYh Mucky duck has two open date in october while Ellis has a break in his schedule between Austin and Dallas.
What does his management company and booking agent do?-Are they totally asleep?--
It seems to me that he used to play Houston twice a year, and its been awhile--he pretty much sells out the Mucky duck every time he comes--What's the deal??
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Re: incredibly frustrated

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Jeff - Hi and welcome!

Why don't you ask the Mucky Duck people to contact his booking agent Fleming Artists an offer a date?

It must be worth a try????

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:35 pm

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on Ellis' tour schedule as dates drop in all the time. As for Mucky Duck not booking Ellis while he's on a Texas swing it could be just the way things go. Nothing like going to the source on both sides. Brings to mind Peter Finch's character in the blockbluster film "NETWORK" where he goes on air and shouts "I am as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" -- You go Jeff!!!

Welcome Aboard! 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

goodja

Postby goodja » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 pm

I actually posted this after a very fruitless phone call to his management group--it was one of those where one can tell that the person on the other side of the phone is forcing themselves to be polite, yet refusing to acknowledge the point being made.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Jeff - was it Fleming Artists you contacted or Ralph Jaccodine Management?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:25 pm

what's the old adage?

squeaky wheel gets the grease.... :wink:

I've moved around the country enough to know that one can get short changed on faves swinging through town. When we lived in Houston Ellis came to the Duck at least 2x a year and it was never enough. I'd look at his tour dates page back then and think how lucky are folks that have him coming through all the time....I feel your pain there, sir.

Good luck..... :wink:
paddy

goodja

Postby goodja » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:39 pm

it was ralph jacodine and i suppose i should have called fleming--but what does ellis pay these people to do?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:56 pm

whoa nelly!

try and keep it friendly, please! :wink:

Ralph and Ellis are best of friends and have been for a good long while. I once thought part of Ralph's day to day was booking Ellis shows across the country. Once I discovered that bookings are handled by Fleming I remember thinking that that makes perfect sense. So imagine Ralph getting a call about booking Ellis into the Duck. I would think his normal reaction and response would be to be as polite as possible, and point you in the direction of Fleming and/or the venue.

Since noone knows what might have been on Ralph's plate at the exact time of your call .....it's not fair to come down on him publically like this....imho.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Give Fleming a go - you might strike lucky!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:00 pm

I would also try contacting The Duck...and tell them you want 2 shows!! :P
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi Jeff. Welcome aboard! :D

I find that it is usually up to the venue who plays there, and not a matter of an artist or their representative calling and saying they have a free day.

I hope Ellis comes your way soon, and in the mean time, there is a thread here about other artists you might have better access too.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:55 am

Hello Jeff,
This is Rachel from Ralph Jaccodine Management. I am truly sorry to hear about your frustration with Ellis not playing Houston. And we hope to get him there as soon as possible! That is our goal. And I am also sorry for whatever frustration you felt when calling the office. We love and care deeply about EP fans and want to make sure your experience with him is great including the behind the scenes aspect, such as dealing with management.

I just want to take a moment to explain how the process works, so you can understand that this is a bit out of our control and many times is all about the stars aligning.

Fleming Artists books Ellis' tour dates. The ability to book a date at a certain venue and in a certain city is based on several complex components.

1. The venue having the date available for Ellis to play there. Now, just because a venue website does not have a date posted, does not mean that that there is not already an act booked or in the process of being booked. Venues are generally deciding between many (and I mean a lot more than 10) pitches from several booking agents to get their artists in on a specific date. The venues will look over the options and place them in order of importance. The Mucky Duck Loves Ellis and Ellis loves playing there so this is not the issue...if other booking agents pitched before Fleming they put it in a holding pattern, and sometimes this is dependent on choice number one deciding if they want the night or not; or when the venue thinks it would be best for Ellis to play there based on business; the last time he was there, and getting the best night for Ellis. Keep in mind, all the stars really need to align for 4 consecutive nights of shows and 4 venues, on a good tour route, all having availability for the nights we want.

And that's for 52 weeks a year! Putting together one weekend of shows involves many emails and phone calls, weighing out the right options and offers. Ralph and Fleming talk daily, many times a day, sometimes 24/7. Whew! I am exhausted just thinking about it!! This truly is much harder than it appears! (and we do this for four other artists as well!)

Well, the other factor is Ellis' schedule. And this is a big factor. this is based on travel to and from Charlottesville, whether driving or flying and family time at home, recording schedule and any other duties he has as a career musician that go beyond just performing.

There are a lot of other details and factors involved in getting an artist the dates that fit into their schedule while coinciding with the venues priorities as well. But I really cannot get into all that here, I think you get the gist. But please be rest assured that we are very aware of the Texas run of shows and how perfectly the Houston date will fit. We want Ellis in Houston as badly as you do...trust me!

I know when you spoke to a person in the office today, she gave you the absolute best answer she could...which is exactly what I told her to say... and that is, we are working on getting him to Houston, and to keep a look out on the website for a Houston date. There is not much more we can say or do beyond that. Be rest assured that we post dates pretty much the day they are confirmed.

Thanks so much for caring so much about Ellis, his music and your desire to see him live. I hope my description of how it all works helps you to understand what it takes and that we are not purposefully avoiding Houston... We love Houston! We will do everything we can to get him there as soon as humanly possible! I promise!!

All the best to you Jeff,
Rachel

goodja

Postby goodja » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Rachel
Thanks very much for your thoughtful and detailed response to my post. This does perhaps clarify a bit. And I appreciate you making the effort to respond.
Nevertheless I am certain that you can understand my view in posting my thoughts--that is when I see that Ellis has played or will play Near Houston 3 or 4 times with no Houston dates, especially when i saw that Ellis has 5 days in october between Austin and Dallas and the Mucky duck appears to have two nights open during that time. It seems that Fleming could use a bit of a prod--perhaps i have done that?

Jeff

Return to “Say Something”