SXSW 2009

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

SXSW 2009

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:47 pm

It’s March, the sun was out and we were in Austin for SXSW. Over the five days of music (the party started a day early as Tuesday was St Patrick’s Day) we saw 64 different sets ranging from a couple of songs to a 14 song set and all points in between.

We had a great time and are still in recovery mode from the fabulous time we had – the adrenalin of doing what we really enjoy, coupled with seeing friends made over the years and making new ones, just keeps us going. We had some really late nights, ok early mornings, sometimes not getting to bed until 3.00 am then having to be and up and about downtown for an 11.00 am start on some days. It was an early night when we turned in at about 1.00 am but that’s SXSW for you. We try and pack in as much as we can and seem to be constantly on the go.

There’s far too much to mention here (I’d end up writing a book) so I’ll pick out a few highlights….

Sam Baker – new CD on the horizon, we heard three new songs during the two occasions we saw him play. The first, a showcase, where he was accompanied by Tim Lorsch and the Croatian Sensation himself – yes our Rad! The second at a singer/songwriters show at the Cactus – my favourite venue anywhere, it was great to see him (and others) in a place with such good sound and where everyone actually listens to the music.

Jimmy LaFave – three times. I think he started to get used to seeing us turn up like a couple of bad pennies everywhere. Made my day when he suggested to me that Maverick (I was covering SXSW for the magazine) should make me their North America correspondent! Wouldn’t that be a hoot?

Slaid Cleaves – three times. New CD due 21st April is going to be very, very good judging by the songs we heard. Funny story – at the Cactus on Friday night he asked if there was anyone from out of town who wanted to hear a particular song and I said ‘do the one about the horses’ he replied ‘I think I know which one you mean’ and started playing ‘Horses and Divorces’ then turned to me and asked if it was the right one to which I replied ‘No!’ but he carried on and it received the best reception as it is a real crowd pleaser. I had meant ‘Quick as Dreams’ but couldn’t remember the title!!! I did apologise to him later and then the following day out at Opal Divine’s Penn Field he spotted me talking with a mutual friend and when he was on stage he related last night’s story and proceeded to play the right song for me! What a sweetheart he is.

Gurf Morlix – three times. If you haven’t heard his latest CD you are missing out. There’s a song ‘Voice of Midnight’ the last track which he wrote for his friends Ian McLagan (ex Faces) and wife Kim McLagan who was tragically killed a few years ago in a car accident. Hearing that in semi-darkness at the Cactus was really moving and when I was writing about it the following, the mere fact of typing the title gave me goosebumps.

Gary Louris and Mark Olson, the former Jayhawks back together after 15 years, their harmonies are to die for. I stood right at the front, could read the set list and if I stretched my arm out I could have reached Mark Olson. Adore their work and his solo CD ‘Salvation Blues’

Joe Ely (swoon) with accordionist Joel Guzman. Came on late, after midnight and finished at about 1.30 am. Packed house with people queuing along the street trying to get in.

Red House Records and Signature Sounds showcases – John Gorka, Eilen Jewell, Chris Smither, Jimmy, Ray Bonneville – to name a few.

Eliza Gilkyson’s family affair with brother Tony and son Cisco all playing together and doing a few of father Terry’s songs including ‘Always look on the bright side of life’.

Conference presentation by Steve Van Zandt about a ‘crisis of craft’ in music biz – very interesting session with some valid points about how bands want instant success and do not spend time on development and neither will record majors invest in development. If your CD doesn’t make the numbers – you are out!

The look on Ralph Jaccodine’s face when he saw us at SXSW (we knew he was going to be there but not vice versa) and the size of his hug (Karen – he’s almost giving Sam a run for his money :) )

New name to watch – BettySoo – summer release CD Heat, Sin, Water, Skin produced by Gurf Morlix is a stunner – she gave me an advance copy and from the first song you just know it is very special. Saw her perform twice – she was a name that we wanted to check out and basically Gurf has come up trumps once again.

Goodness I’ve just realised how much I’ve written – so I’ll stop and just say that we had a ball and will be back next year all being well and may stay for a bit longer unless of course Mark Erelli is back in the UK and I need to jump on a ‘plane to see him!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: SXSW 2009

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Jela,

I'm exhausted just reading about all your activity! :D Sounds like a fabulous way to spend a few days. I love the Cactus Cafe too and look forward to returning there at some point. Your crack me up by saying Jimmy probably thought you and Richard were turning up like a couple of bad pennies. :) And what? No swoon for Jimmy??? :shock: And Jimmy's right about you being Maverick's North America correspondent! :)

Too funny about Ralph being surprised to see you....but honestly, you'd think by now he (along with Ellis, Sam Baker, Mark Erelli, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy), would never be surprised to see you two anywhere! ;)

An article in the Boston Globe a few days ago written by a reporter who was at SXSW gave high marks to a singer named Janella Monae. Did you catch her? Here's a link to the article:

Singer Monáe creates a buzz at SXSW by James Reed

So glad you got home safely! Any word about Sam Baker returning to the UK in the fall?

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:38 am

No we didn't catch Janella Monae - in the official festival there were 1900 bands/artists spread out over 85 official venues and the unofficial stuff is as big and in total, 300 venues were used.

It's impossible to see everything and it is really difficult making your choices as things invariably clash.

Yes there is news of Sam Baker's UK tour - I'll post on his 'Looking for my Friends' forum.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 am

I've been patiently awaiting your SXSW review, Ms. Jela! Awesome, as always.

If we can get a link to your article when it's published, I for one, would love to read it!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks Monica for you kind comments. I'll get a pdf of the article in due course - it may take a while as I think that it won't be published until the next but one issue but I'll attach a copy on this forum when I receive it.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:52 am

I think she performed at the same time as Sam Baker. ;)

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:No we didn't catch Janella Monae - in the official festival there were 1900 bands/artists spread out over 85 official venues and the unofficial stuff is as big and in total, 300 venues were used.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 am

Jela

I am so glad I am going to be able to say I knew you when!

Great coverage of the time at swsx and can hardly wait to read more.

Thanks, as always!

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:24 pm

Karen wrote:
I think she performed at the same time as Sam Baker :wink:

Now whatever makes you think he would be at the top of my 'must see' list???? hee hee hee

Paddy - am happy to oblige. I get such a lot of pleasure from reading eveyone else's show reports and mostly living vicariously on here that I'm happy to do my bit when I can.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Maybe because you're addicted to SAM BAKER HUGS! :mrgreen:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:Now whatever makes you think he would be at the top of my 'must see' list???? hee hee hee Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Well my SXSW article for Maverick made the deadline for the May issue which comes out next week and since a few of you asked to see it here it is.......the photos are Richard's.

I have concentrated on the official festival BUT I am writing another feature about the unofficial festival which will be in the next issue of Maverick (so another deadline beckons!).

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:25 pm

You go, girl! Awesome report! Seems you left the best till last - Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. ;-)

The Velveeta Room? :o

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:02 am

Jela -- fantastic article on SWSX and I'm only too happy knowing I'll someday be able to say I knew ya when! 8)

Wait'll I tell the folks back home! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Yikes! What happened here? Several posts disappeared! :x

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Maybe this thread doesn't like Velveeta! :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:57 pm

I hope it wasn't my Texas Nachos photo! :cry:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:33 pm

Texas has long been planning to recede from the nation.....perhaps one forum post at a time? :shock:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:23 pm

One of the missing posts was mine - I was saying that I was having what I call a 'lost in translation' moment as I'd not heard of Veveeta before so after the posts on here I googled and discovered that its a cheese/cheese spread - I had no idea!

The venue in Austin is really called that and in its normal incarnation (outside of SXSW) it is a comedy club.

Thanks y'all for your nice comments about my article. Paddy methinks thou doest flatter me :oops:

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:52 pm

OK....I'm gonna try this again. This is what Jela was REALLY doing in the Velveeta Room in Austin. (She wants us to think she was listening to Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.) ;-)

No Velveeta in England? That's just WRONG! :lol:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:15 pm

No never heard of it - I obviously move in the wrong circles :?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Who Moved My Cheese? ~ Veruca

:lol:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:30 am

I don't know what happened to the posts, mine included about not being able to open Jela's review BUT I was finally able to access it :mrgreen:

I give it 5 stars!!!!!!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:34 am

PS

When my sister first talked about her future mother in-law Veleeta, my first comment was "like the cheese :?: No Veleeta she said!! Thankfully before they were married she changed her name to Lora...phew.... and she is very lovely person :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 27, 2009 12:08 pm

I wrote a second article about SXSW focusing on the unofficial side to the festival and it was published in the current issue of 'Maverick'.

Here's a copy. I just wanted to show people that there is so much more at SXSW than the official line up, to enjoy and that most of it is free.

The accompanying photos are Richard's.

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Wonderful read, Jela.....major kudos! 8)

Thanks for sharing it here. :)

That photographer of yers is a keeper! :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Jela,

Terrific review! Pictures too! (Even though there are none of Sam Baker.) :shock:

Makes me want to seriously consider going next year! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 am

Thanks guys.

Karen - you'd have a ball. We've been going for six years now and plan on being there again next year. Will have to make sure that the next article includes a Sam Baker pic :)

Jela

Return to “Say Something”