Today (July 27) in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize!)

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (July 27) in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize!)

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:53 am

Hi folks,

According to Ellis, his first paid gig at Club Passim was in September, 1989 when he opened for the singer/songwriter pictured below - born in Newark, NJ on July 27, 1958.

To win an autographed WoodyFest 2005 t-shirt, simply be the first person to reply to this post with the name of the birthday boy pictured above. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:02 am

Karen, thanks kindly for the prize offer but I just can't place that face. :wink: Besides, it's likely a babydoll tee your'e givin away. :D

No matter, tee shirts just dont do a thing for my figure....go figure. :P

I'm anxious to see who wins this contest though!

Thanks for all the great trivia.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:26 am

Hey, I just won, so I'm not going to answer either.
I will say that my first intruduction to Ellis was when he opened for this same person in Portland (Maine)! What a double-hitter that was! :D
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:32 am

Wendy,

This contest is separate from the guest pass contest, so you're most certainly eliglible to win. :) And we know how much you like your t-shirts. ;) BTW...the t-shirt is NOT a baby-doll shirt. Just a regular t-shirt, size XL.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:55 am

I guessed, and I guessed right!! :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Are you going to reply with your guess? :wink:

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:19 pm

I was giving Wendy a chance since she knows ******* by sight and I verified my guess using Yahoo! Images.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Well, aren't you just the sweetest thing? :lol: OK...Wendy....now's your chance.... :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:32 pm

If Wendy doesn't respond can I have a go? I know who it is straight off - no googling required and no peeping anywhere!!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Well, looks like you can lead a horse trainer to a free t - shirt...... :lol:

As we wait to see this epic battle unfold, I feel the need to say two things:

Wendy, the British are coming, The British are coming. :D

Has anyone yet heard the new record from this fave of mine? Alas, I have not. We did see him a few weeks ago and the new songs sounded great.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:16 pm

Yep - we've got the CD seems to me that he's trying out some different musical styles - I need to listen to it some more but he could sing 'baba black sheep' and it'd sound good - the voice does it for me!

Jela

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 pm

Sorry--- I was off at the barn awaiting the farrier!
Jela or Bonnie, it's all yours! :D
-wendy

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:42 pm

OK, OK! Karen has twisted my arm :lol:
The photo of that young artist is none other than
JOHN GORKA!
(that photo is from a while back, isn't it?)

Thanks, everyone, for being so gall-derned polite! :wink:
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:46 pm

This is exactly why I like this board so much - look at how cool and sweet and awesome everyone is?!

*warm fuzzies*
:mrgreen:
~L~

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Wendy - well done and enjoy wearing that T-shirt.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Congratulations, Wendy! I wish I had thought to say initially that the contest was open to anyone...including guest pass winners! :)

Wendy, I grabbed that photo off JG's web site so I don't really know how old it is...but I thought it captured him well. :lol:

I'll be in touch regarding your prize. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Nice win there Wendy...congratulations. :D

Bonnie, you got some splaining to do :!:

How do you google a photo of someone? :wink:

Lauren, kind words for the group indeed....likewise. :D

Jela, thanks for the feedback on John's new one. I kinda gathered there might be a new sound tried here and agree, John can sing just about anything and I'd like it. THAT VOICE :!: :!:

Bonnie, catch up and let us know when you do. He's a winner and see him live any chance you can. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 pm

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:17 pm

I knew it was someone I must have heard of here, so I went to Yahoo! Images and did a search. He was my second guess.

I have a confession to make.

Ellis is the first folk musician I ever fell for.

So all of these names are getting familiar to me, but not the faces or the sounds. :oops:

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Awwww.... Karen, you make me smile... :D

And fret not, Bonnie - I've loved John Gorka's "Armed With A Broken Heart" and "The One That Got Away" for eons (a friend so kindly included them on mixes for me way back when) but I had no idea what he looked like... until today!

:shock:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:50 pm

You have such good taste. :wink:

Karen

bonuela wrote:Ellis is the first folk musician I ever fell for.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Bonnie and Lauren - obviously good things come to those that wait.... :wink: That's a hec of a friend Lauren to include Armed With A Broken Heart and The One That Got Away on a mix for you. All I can say is either they or you were going thru some kind of serious heartbreak for those two beautiful songs to be considered. I was fortunate enough to have that album, John's second LP Land Of The Bottom Line when it was new.

He was preaching to the choir. What a record to listen to when going thru a fresh and painful break up..... :wink:

Since I lived in Pittsburgh for a time and Heinz is based there, allow me to say this to you both about John Gorka:

ketchup, please.... :!: :wink:
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:57 pm

*GROAN*

:P

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:39 pm

Thank you, I'm here til Tuesday.....tip your bartenders and waitresses. :lol:
Just razzin ya girls........this has been a fun and eye opening thread :shock:
I thought everyone on this forum knew John's mug when they saw it. Course there was a time I didn't either.

The following story takes place circa 1988/1989:

I was lucky enough to catch John Gorka fairly early in his career. I have a funny story regarding the first time I heard John sing one of his songs live. I had heard him on the radio, found his first LP, and instantly loved it.
Then, made it to Kerrville the day after his stage performance. Later that night, in the campgrounds, I stumbled upon a big ol circle of singer songwriters taking turns. Must have been 20 songsters in the circle and easily 50 - 75 of us regular folks listening in and NOT believing just how GREAT these songs sound and how lucky we were to be there hearing them in this setting. It's about 2am and pitch dark except for small embers still glowing in the campfire.

I can't make out a single face in the circle. So I listen. And I wait. And I hope. And good things come to those who wait. Sure enough, John was there patiently waiting his turn. The silence before someone starts a song is palpable.

The opening notes on John's guitar tell me he is here. It is unmistakeable. Then he begins to sing. There's that voice singing the following:

I saw a stranger with your hair
Tried to make her give it back
So I could send it off to you
Maybe Federal Express
'Cause I know you'd miss it

I saw another with your eyes
The flash just turned my head
I went to try them on for size
But they looked the other way
And they wouldn't listen

Chorus: But you're never hard to find in a crowd
The people around you smiling out loud
Their feet don't touch the ground
No, their feet don't touch the ground
No, their feet don't touch the ground

I heard a stranger with your voice
It took me by surprise
Again I found it wasn't you
Just an angel in disguise
In for a visit

By the way how is my heart
I haven't seen it since you left
I'm almost sure it followed you
Could you sometime send it back
I'll buy the ticket

(Chorus)

I saw a stranger with your hair
I saw another with your eyes
I heard an angel with your voice

Several gifted female singers in the circle were right there with harmonies on the chorus and my feet were barely touching the ground. I later spent a little time over at a smaller campsite with Fred Koller and John trading songs and stories. Heard some really rare stuff like BLUE and GOLD which I haven't heard him play since.

Then I had the pleasure of seeing him play a regular gig in Houston at the legendary folk club Anderson Fair Retail Restaurant. The owner, Tim Leatherwood introduced John to the stage with the following words:

It's our pleasure to bring you the guy that one writer said " was the most intense white guy on the planet", put your hands together and make welcome John Gorka.

I was done!!! So before, Ellis.......John. :D
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:41 am

Great tale, Paddy, and well-told. It gave me goose-bumps!
I'm with you: that voice.... it just grabs something inside of you and doesn't let go.

I can't recall the first time we saw John G, but two of the most memorable were
1) with Cheryl Wheeler, Cliff Eberhardt and Patty Larkin on an early "Winter's Night" tour. (what a combination and they were obviously having such fun!) and

2) at the Chocolate Church in Bath (it DOES exist Karen, honest, and it has great accoustics) where that voice just anchored itself for me.... made all the recordings sound flimsy and shallow. When I listen to his CDs these days, my mind always drifts back to the REAL sound we should be hearing... ahhhhh
-wendy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”