The State of the Music business by John Mellencamp

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The State of the Music business by John Mellencamp

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Here's an interesting article that's making it's way 'round the Internet on various news sites, blogs, etc.

On My Mind: The State of the Music Business by John Mellencamp

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: The State of the Music business by John Mellencamp

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Bob Lefsetz is a music business consultant from days gone by....and a blowhard. But he calls it like he sees it and I enjoy reading him on occasion. He holds no punches when he writes his newsletters about the current state of the music business that are then delivered to his readers (subscribers) via email. I can't read all of them, he's prolific about this stuff, and sometime drops too many rants in my inbox.

I bring Bob's name up here mostly because he wrote about Mellencamp's take on the biz. I read Bob's take on Mellencamp's words with the same affect as I read all his stuff. Some of it makes sense and some, well, is just Bob being Bob. Anyway, if you take the time to check out his website's archives, you'll find a man that's been around the major labels long enough to drop names of most of the biggest players in the game.

A word of caution, though, his language goes gutter all too often....not for the squeamish. He could have a thread all his own here, for I have read plenty of advice he gives to independent artists that seem to parallel or speak to the kind of grass roots efforts independent artists we know and love are already hip to.

Anyway.....here's Bob Lefsetz on the John Mellencamp story.

RE: Mellencamp on the Music Business
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Interesting read... on both sides..after reading that it gives me a better appreciation for the music that I know and love and the folks in the world that make it happen. For years they have been practicing what others now seem to be preaching.
I don't even want to think of what would have happened to my taste in music if I hadn't heard that one song, that one day, about 14 years ago, the day after everything changed :wink:

Thank you Mr. Ellis Paul :D
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:57 am

Paddy,

Thanks for the rebuttal. Whew.....lots to digest.....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”