St. Patrick's Day -- March 17th, 2008

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

St. Patrick's Day -- March 17th, 2008

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am

Hey all................ top o' the mornin!!!

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!!

If you find some time today between green beer and/or Irish Whiskey or any other St. Pat's traditions I hope you'll tip your hat to the wearin o' the green. We're all Irish for a day they say. :)

Guiness Beer is leading the charge to make St. Patrick's Day a national holiday.

Too funny.... :D

As is Ellis Paul's verse in his song Calendar Man about the holiday. If he's ever playin it for an audience you're in and asks for holiday suggestions... :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:44 am

Happy St. Paddy's Day to you too Paddy!

When I was pregnant with my son, I found out he was a he and picked out his name early on in the pregnancy. A nurse asked me on one of my visits if I had picked out a name and I said yes, Dennis Patrick Reilly. She said "that kid is going to come out with shamrocks tattooed on his butt!"

Always think of that on St. Patrick's Day!

Enjoy!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:00 pm

monicar

Love that story.......... :lol:

and of course the name, too..... :wink:

I got a card and gifts today.....luck of the Irish...... :D

My wife always comes through with cards and gifts on holidays and this one tells me she's been readin the forum, lately. :shock:

Besides a really nice card......A new CD......Jackson Browne's latest. 8)
As well as a new book....John Krakauer's Into the Wild. :D
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Besides a really nice card......A new CD......Jackson Browne's latest. 8)
As well as a new book....John Krakauer's Into the Wild. :D

Cool!! She's a good shopper!! :)

I've been meaning to get in to review the new JB Solo Acoustic 2. With a housefull of company, and tornado's everywhere this weekend, it got past me. :(

Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Happy St. Paddy's Day to you and all!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:37 pm

Annie

Thanks....I've been meaning to ask how you guys fared with the freak tornados that went thru Atlanta. Glad to hear you and yours are okay. :)

My wife was noticing the track list for Solo Acoustic Vol. 2 and said she didn't recognize most of the songs listed on the cover. I took a glance at it and realized I only knew about half of the songs on the CD. Talkin to Bill Deasy after his show Friday night he said he was really enjoying it on this roadtrip with an appreciative nod to Sky Blue and Black....which, of course, I do know!!! :D I'll take it for a test drive later today and report back. :wink:

She really is a good shopper....and when our son witnessed the gift exchange he said to his mom "AHA...that's why you were at Target yesterday!!" -- Little does he know that with Easter around the corner the real reason she was shopping at Target was for a certain someone in the same household. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 am

With another one in the books......

Just like to say I hope you all had a fun time y'day with some manner of celebrating the wearin o' the green. This year St. Paddy's day kind of snuck up on me and with a little one ailin there was little fanfare.

I don't mind livin vicariously, tho..... :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:42 am

I wish I could help you out, Paddy!

We used to celebrate BIG time back in the day. The town where my husband grew up in had a parade, then a big party at the Knights of Columbus. We learned early on to take the next day off!!!!

Unfortunately, they no longer do the parade on the day and always have it on a weekend now.

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:01 am

That's okay Monicar, same story here -- we used to celebrate it big time back in the day, too. Not so much these days and I'm not a fan of the parades on the weekends -- just feels contrived if it's not March 17th. :?

Back in 1960, with a new job offer on the table, my father decided to quit his job at Phillips Petroleum in Houston and go to work for a friend in the insurance industry. The friend had been trying to get my dad to go to work for him for some time. My dad was reluctant to take the risk since he already had 3 kids and a 4th on the way (guess who?) :D

So what one thing sealed the deal? His boss at Phillips would not give him the day off from work to march in the annual St. Patrick's Day parade -- which to him, was a God given right as an Irishman. My dad told his boss he really needed to let him have the time off from work on the 17th. His boss made a huge mistake when he underestimated my dad's Irish'ness. He turned in his 2 weeks notice, called his friend, and the rest is history.

He not only marched in the St. Patrick's Day parade that year through the streets of Downtown Houston, Texas......he also played fireman for a day and hopped on the back of a fire engine truck with a fifth of whiskey along for the ride. Old Fitzgerald, probably. :wink: As kids, we loved hearing that story. :D

Erin Go Bragh!!!

:D
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:27 am

Great story, Paddy! I love it!

Ya know, I just realized I didn't even have 1 drop of alcohol on Monday!!!! That's just not right ... HA!

Did have a boiled dinner thought, so at least I got it half right!

:lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:00 am

When my dad retired from the insurance business he went to work for a senior citizen community as sales rep and social director. He coordinated and hosted outings, Sunday Brunches, and all holiday celebrations.

He was the consumate showman and had a crowd of 80-100 in stitches as he'd change hats midstream going from putting on "the feedbag" as he used to call it to "puttin on the ritz." It really was quite the production no matter the holiday. No wonder I enjoy Calendar Man so much. :D

On New Year's Eve....he would shuffle in and out of costume going from tuxedo to Father Time as Midnight was fast aprroaching to disappearing for another costume change only to return as Baby New Year complete with adult diaper and a baby bottle and little else. :shock:

On St. Patrick's Day, he was again in his glory. Playing all the old classic Irish songs and leading the group in sing-a-longs. He would be in the club room's kitchen all day leading up to the evening's party making sure the corned beef, cabbage and potatoes were set to feed his party attendees.

I didn't have a drop of alcohol, either, and you're right, that ain't right. :?

Glad to hear you got it half right, Monica, sadly the closet I got to Corned Beef and Cabbage was thinking about how much I missed his cooking and parties with a nostalgic look back. And where in the Philly area should I try and go on the 17th to get a little taste of the traditional meal? :D

Maybe, next year. :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 am

Memories are the best, dontcha think?

Your dad sounds like a great guy!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:38 am

Yup...when all else fails....ya always got the memories. :D

He really was something else. When docs told him his disease would take his life in 4-6 months...he sat silently reflecting on the news. I was there and wondered what his response to the doc might be. I felt really bad for him knowing how much he enjoyed life and at 72 was far too young to be told such news. After quietly doing the math in his head, he looked up at me and the doc and with a sly grin and smile, said, okay, that works.

We were 4 months shy of March 17th.....and he said it would only be fitting that his headstone would bear the date. He almost made it, too. With the end near, I called my sister, Erin, and told her she'd best fly out. She arrived the following day, March 3rd, and proceeded to decorate our family room with all things Irish and St. Patrick's Day. He was really pleased to see his only daughter and something tells me she had convinced him that it was St. Patrick's Day. He died early the next morning.....and we took solace in him thinking he'd made it. :cry:

I wrote his eulogy and included the story to pay tribute to his Irish'ness and tell one more story he wouldn't be able to tell . His family and friends knew all about his passion for all things Irish and it just seemed fitting that his life would end with some tie-in to St. Patrick's Day.

Even though he fell short of March 17th.

We took new meaning in the day that he did pass, 13 days shy of his goal. I ended his eulogy with the date he died...with a message with a slight pun intended.

March forth!!! :wink:

It's been five years now and St. Patrick's Day warms my Irish heart, too. For the record, he loved a good joke and all manner of tickle the funny bone stories. Had he ever been in a room where Ellis was singing Calendar Man he would have been the one laughing the loudest at the verse written for St. Paddy's Day.

Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 am

Beautiful story, Paddy.

I lost my mom when I was 18 and she was only 56, so I can definitely relate. She loved St. Pat's Day even though she was Italian, but she did marry an Irish guy! She always left us a "bit o' green" under our breakfast plate on St. Pat's and we always had green bagels for breakfast!

My grandmother, Margaret Murphy, actually did pass away on St. Patrick's day 11 years ago! So, a bittersweet day for me as well!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:27 am

My best friend is a Murphy...God love 'em. His folks hosted the biggest and best St. Patrick's Day party in all of Houston and it was just a really special time...they're pushin 80 and still throwin 'em. Good ol days..... :D

I can't imagine losing a parent at such a tender age. Though he left us much too soon at a youthful fun lovin 73 years......I can't imagine what life would have been to lose him when I was 18 and my adult years just underway. I feel for you and realise it's just not fair. Nowadays I'm concerned with how long our son will have his parents in his life and hope and pray that it's a long, long, time.

Drink another round to Grandma Murphys, everywhere...especially yours!

paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 am

My Nan was the best! Have fond memories of sleepovers at her house as a kid.

Losing my mom at that age was definitely tough, although it's ALWAYS tough, no matter what age.

I hear her laugh blowing in the wind pretty much on a daily basis when I'm butting heads with my 12-year-old daughter. She is my mom's revenge without a doubt! HA!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:40 am

Monica

Too funny!!!

paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:49 am

I actually just said to my husband last night "God grant me the longevity to live long enough to see her in her own house. I am so going in there, jumping on her furniture with my shoes on and cooking something in her kitchen and leaving everything all over the place."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 am

paddy

monicar

Re: St. Patrick's Day -- March 17th, 2008

Postby monicar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:30 am

Happy 2009 St. Paddy's Day!!!!!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:38 am

Top O' the Mornin, everyone!!!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:13 am

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

I'm wearing a green shamrock necklace that was a gift from Barb62 at EP's show at The Mansion last year. Thanks Barb! The necklace is quite striking against the lime green top I'm wearing today! :mrgreen:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 am

Thrilled to see that Barb62 has her new Jammin Jules House Concerts series up and running with her first show scheduled and invites out to those on her email list. Turns out that living in this part of the country has it's benefits for although barb62's place is in New Jersey it's a mere 35 miles from my neck of the woods to hers. Will take this opportunity to wish Barb and her family the best of luck with the series. I know first hand she hopes to one day host Ellis and Flynn. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 am

A friend sent me this St. Patrick's Day e-greeting this morning so I thought I'd share it. :mrgreen:

Pub Lunch

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:37 am

Sure..blame it on the dog. :lol: Goes from the dog ate my homework to my corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes.

Leads me to believe the dryer aint to blame for my missing socks....... :wink:

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!!!
paddy

Return to “Say Something”