Mark Erelli

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Re: Mark Erelli

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:06 am

Ya know how ya can sometimes be caught off guard when ya hear your favorites on the radio?

With the tv on on the kitchen tuned to the Music Choice Americana channel...........

Mark Erelli's Imaginary Wars is now playing....... 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm

I see that Mark Erelli is playing The Blue Door in Oklahoma on Sunday - are any of you Okie based EP devotees going? Please report back if you do as I'd love to hear all about the show.

I see that his New Year's Day House Concert at Patti's is on his website - this is one very excited fan! What a way to welcome in 2009!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:
I see that his New Year's Day House Concert at Patti's is on his website - this is one very excited fan! What a way to welcome in 2009!

If all works out, this show will be my introduction to another board favorite. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Bonnie,

Yippee! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:40 pm

I'll second that. Bonnie, if you love EP you will love ME!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Bonnie that is a huge wahoo from me too :P !!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Mark's latest newsletter is on his website, which is always a nice way to start a new month!! Of course the beginning of next month you don't just have to read what he says, you can listen to what he sings at my house in Seekonk :D The information is on Mark's site!!

Hope some of you EP fans, who may not be familiar with Mark's music :shock: ! will come give him a listen, it will be a great introduction to his vast catalog of songs and a fabulous start to the new year.

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:43 am

Just saw a link to Mark Erelli's tour page and see that he is scheduled to play at the Woody Guthrie festival this summer... Hmmm.. maybe this is the year I make that trip!!!!

Of course (some ) you can see him in a much colder place this January 1st at a house cocnert!! Check his website for info... or PM me here...

FYI.. the show Mark was schedule to open tonight in Fall River has been postponed due to the coming snow storm.. and this storm better come, because most of the schools in the area cancelled today, and not a flake of snow has fallen yet.. :shock:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:59 am

As you guys in Boston always say 'OMG!'

WoodyFest just gets better and better - Karen I know that you and Becky have both lobbied to get Mark on the WoodyFest bill so this must feel like an early Christmas present for you!

All I can say is :P :P :P

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 am

Jela,

I had a feeling you'd be pleased. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:50 am

I really enjoyed my first Mark Erelli experience. Thanks to Patti for encouraging me to go.

I will leave the concert reporting to those that know him better. :mrgreen:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:51 pm

gimme a C
gimme an H
gimme an O
gimme an M
gimme a P
gimme an I
gimme an N
gimme a G

Whaz that spell?

Chomping.....as in Chomping at the bit to hear about Mark Erelli at Patti's Place.

:P
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, I'm still smiling if that is any indication.. I will comment later on tonight. I'm not making any promises but search youtube sometime later tonight too :)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:51 pm

No time for PELDS with a Mark Erelli house concert at Patti’s on 1st Jan – can’t think of a better way to start off 2009….Mark played completely unplugged, using guitar, tenor guitar, mandolin and harmonica (although not all at once!) and put on a brilliant show. 19 songs split over two sets. First set was almost exclusively songs from 'Delivered' so it was wonderful to hear the live versions of one of my top 2008 CDs.

Second set was longer and featured songs from a selection of his CDs. Knowing that there were going to be a few people in the audience who had traveled a way he had asked Patti if there were any particular requests so not ones to miss a chance Patti, Karen, Richard and I had given in a list and to our delight he played all except one of our combined song requests.

Set list:

1. One Too Many Midnights (K’s request)
2. Not Alone
3. Unravelled
4. Volunteers (R’s request)
5. Five Beer Moon
6. Once
7. Delivered (my request) ….on tenor guitar
8. Baltimore …on tenor guitar

Interval

9. Snowed In
10. Troubadour Blues
11. Bend in the River (my request)
12. Take my Ashes to the River (P’s request)
13. The River Road (my request)
14. Theresa (my request)
15. Northern Star (my request)
16. The Only Way
17. Hope Dies Last
18. Mystery Girl (my request, Roy Orbison song – an MP3 download of the month)
19. Imaginary Wars …on mandolin

A wonderful, wonderful evening, he is one of the best (IMHO) and I just can’t wait to see him again in March when he comes over to the UK.

Patti thank you so much for everything, we had just the best time….still taking it all in really. Richard will I hope post pics of the show in due course so meanwhile I look forward to seeing those videos on YouTube that we watched at your house this morning.

Jela

PS I kinda hogged the request list didn't I ? :oops: :oops:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Green with delightful envy!!!

Thanks for the report from the airport Jela -- look forward to the photos Richard took of Mark Erelli in concert in our own Patti's basement. How cool is that? Guess I'll see a little later tonight ala Youtube!!! Love the look of that setlist...especially those requests! Nice goin, Patti!!! 8)

Safe travels, all.

:D
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:17 am

Having tech. difficulties with youtube and my tech support (aka teenager) is not available...should be able to post sometime tomorrow..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:36 am

No worries Patti......you did your part!!! 8) I know I'd be hard pressed to get something up on Youtube.

Will look forward to all reports - high tech and not so high tech - in the days to come.

Relax, enjoy the weekend, and the memories that will surely have you smiling for the forseeable future.

paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/pttld

Tech Support here.
Just wanted to inform you all that this is the link for the youtube page where I will be posting all videos from Patti's Place.

Enjoy.

-Taylor (aka Tech Support)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Taylor,

Thanks Tech Support! :)

I am still kicking myself for not video taping the opening song - "One Too Many Midnights"! :cry:

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes, thank you TT (Techie Taylor)!!

The 2 videos I have posted are Mystery Girl and Imaginary Wars. IW almost didn't get played :shock: Mark did MG for an encore, and when I realized he hadn't played a song on mandolin yet, I think I let out a yelp of pain!! I said "you haven't played that instrument" he said he would feel a little awkward trying to top a Roy Orbinson song with one of his own.. BUT.. he obliged and I think he was happy with the result.. He commented after "well if you bring it you must play it". I love the smile on his face at the very end of the video :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Patti

First of all....thank you for posting the awesome videos on youtube with the help of tech support.

Way to go Taylor!!! :D

Secondly, amazing, amazing renditions of Mystery Girl and Imaginary Wars captured for posterity.

BTW -- your makeshift stage is looking and sounding great from my end of the world wide web....... 8)

Karen........One Too Many Midnights is a real favorite here, too. dang!!! :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 am

Patti,

Thanks for the chauffeur service, hospitality, wonderful night of music, and videos! It was a wonderful way to end the trip to Boston. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:39 pm

Phew. This is my last bit of Snapfishing for the weekend. :mrgreen:

Mark Erelli photos ~ Patti's Place 01.01.09

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Bonnie,

The link isn't working for me :( although the links to the EP albums worked fine.

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:53 pm

KarenZ wrote:Bonnie,

The link isn't working for me :( although the links to the EP albums worked fine.

KarenZ

I can't figure it out. It works just fine when I click.

In the meantime, you can cut and paste the link right into your browser.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... t_=9059929

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Bonnie,

Hmmmm....weird. Here's what it says when I try the link:

We're sorry, but the album you're trying to view is no longer available through this URL. Please ask your friend to share the photos again.

Is anyone else having this problem? Maybe it's just me. :(

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Ya know, the pictures really aren't that great. You aren't missing anything. Ha Ha!!

The link still works for me. I will try again tomorrow from a different computer. Maybe that's it.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:43 pm

I was getting the same message but Bonnie sent me another link that worked.. maybe this will do it.. thanks for taking and sharing them Bonnie.. There are a couple of nice ones there......

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... _=78484735

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Just came across this quote and thought I would share. I pretty much have to agree with the statement... Maybe Mark will become the 4th Folk Singer to make it as a feature page of Wikipedia :P :!:

“No need to read between the lines when singer-songwriter Mark Erelli vents on "Delivered"...The prolific New England-based tunesmith makes his case with clarity and conviction. Even listeners who don't share Erelli's views might find it difficult to dismiss the quality of his songcraft or his ties to the likes of Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie.”

– Washington Post

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:25 am

A belated thank you for posting the photos - this thing called work has gotten in the way of me posting on the board this past week!

A promoter friend, who is putting Mark on in the UK in March 'phoned us last week and wanted to know how we'd managed to wangle an invite to the House Concert - Richard said something like 'we have friends in very high places in Boston!'

So thanks Patti and family for opening up your home and for giving us such a great time.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:55 am

Hmmm...if he only knew the "whole truth" I think he would be really impressed :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pttld

Here is the link to the youtube videos..did I mention I love the Imagainary Wars song.(on mandolin!!). It is a little wobbly in the begininng and then it gets steady.. for some reason it wasn't playing on youtube for part of the day yesterday but then it came back again..

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Jela, this is for you:

WUMB Friday - January 16, 2009 - 5am (Boston time)
Member Concert from June 2004 featuring local singer-songwriter Mark Erelli.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks - I managed to listen in to the second half hour. I think that I have heard it before but can't have too much so it was nice to have this on this morning. Obviously, the time difference between Boston and here worked in my favour.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:29 am

Jela,

I thought maybe the time difference would work in your favor. :)

Not here. I'm singing "The Bed Song" this morning. It's -6 degrees F right now and I just don't want to get out of my bed! :)

How many days until Spring? :(

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 am

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

that's too cold!!!

Spring Lies Waiting........

paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Just wanted to give a heads up to Mark's show this weekend at Club Passim. There appears to be about 40 seats left but I imagine they wil be scooped up soon.

It won't be the same as seeing him in my house or with so many of you'll BUT, I'll try to enjoy myself. :lol:

Well I will be there as long as I don't catch the horrible bug that my husband has had since Monday. I told him if I catch it from him and miss the show, he is going to wish the flu killed him instead of me!! :wink:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:50 am

Patti, I'm still trying to finagle a way in. I have to go through my volunteer perks and see what I can do. If not enjoy!!

Don't worry about getting a bug, you can feel crappy just as easily at Passim as you can on your couch. They even have hot tea and soup there, just bring your own tissues.* :-)

*I speak from personal experience. I sat at a corner table once with a box of Kleenex, a small trash bag, a pile of cough drops and a bottle of anti-bacterial lotion.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 pm

I have been pumping myself up with Vitamin C and Ziacam ( a pre cold medicine)!!

He got it BAD.. If I were to get it like that, there would be no way I could make it.. BUT then I would be able to give my tickets to you Bonnie.... so really there is no wrong answer here!!

If I do make it, I'll be at Borders across the street before the show!!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:24 am

Some of our posts are missing.....I posted on here yesterday and its disappeared and I'm sure that Paddy also posted and his message has gone????

Wassup???

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:36 am

Thank you Jela!!! I thought I imagined posting somethng funny about SNL.....then, POOF!!! :shock:

I double posted so I deleted one of them, expecting one to remain.....few minutes later, twas gone, altogether. :shock:

wassup, indeed! :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:42 am

Guys and gals,

I haven't deleted anything except Patti's multiple posts that she asked me to delete yesterday... so if there there are others missing, I have no idea what happened to them. I've been keeping an eye on things and I honestly can't say that I notice that anything's missing this morning so I hope what you guys are noticing is a small number. So sorry for any frustration.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:43 am

The good news on this end is that Mark Erelli will be here opening for Josh Ritter on March 29! YEE HAW! :-)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 am

Mark's March newsletter is on his website... and the UK dates are fast approaching!! Another big YeeHaw from Jela, I'm sure.

(Jela I did see your post about being sick and thought it strange to be gone now..I don't think I ever saw Paddy's)

Mark's upcoming shows:

Boston
UK
Pittsburgh....

Hmmm... it is like he is "stalking us" :lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 am

Patti, if he squeezes in a Philly date he is absolutely stalking us!!! :shock:

Karen, no worries. I assumed I accidentally deleted both my double posts.....

Only mentioned it since Jela said she lost one too.... :?

And Patti, what's the old saying?, snooze ya lose!!! :P
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:56 am

I lost a post yesterday too. In the trivia thread. Then I got too busy to repost. :-(

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Here's what I noticed just before I noticed that my post had vanished.....

A couple of attempts to link to the website failed with a message that read "sorry, that link is not available"

Got in a minute or two later.....that's when I noticed my post had vanished. :shock:

Absolutely no worries......I'm trying to cut back on my # of posts anyway!!! :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Folks,

Let's hope yesterday was a singular glitch.....gremlins at work or something.... :?

And Paddy, don't you dare cut back on your postings! :)

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:I lost a post yesterday too. In the trivia thread. Then I got too busy to repost. :-(

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Twist my arm why dontcha? :P

From Mark Erelli's newsletter about his upcoming show in Pittsburgh...... 8)

SUN MAR 29th - DIESEL CLUB, Pittsburgh PA
It's been a long time since I've played in Pittsburgh, but I've got a great
reason to return: opening for Josh Ritter. I have known Josh forever, and his
whole band played on my "Delivered" record, but we haven't done gigs together
since 2000, when we played for (literally) no one and got paid in coins. I'm
guessing this time is going to be a lot different.

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:19 pm

The on-air DJ on WUMB just mentioned Mark's involvment with The Darwin Project when he's in the UK next month. Here's an article from the BBC:

Darwin Folk Project

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Well it sounds like a broken record to say this..but I think last night was the best performance I have ever heard from Mark (well I do have one other favorite show :wink: but he was playing at Passim, which is one of his favorites and there was just no stopping the talent and energy coming out of his vast array of stringed instruments and harmonicas! He also had Zack Hickman** on stage with him, with a different vast array of assorted instruments and talents!! They just sounded superb together!! And of course dressed with jackets, vest and ties, they look as good as they sound!!
I don't keep set lists, but it seemed like they played everything!! A few songs I don't know and one or two new ones** Columbus, Ohio (?) Unraveled, Not Alone, Imaginary Wars :P , Once , Baltimore, Volunteer, 5 Beer Moon, Delivered, River Road, Compass and Companion, Troubadour Blues, Lullabye, Passing Through (nice sing along)and The Only Way. He said he is sick of winter and wants to just skip spring and be right into summer, so he played a song that has been in the works for awhile and has finally finished titled, August..
( about vacations at the beach on Cape Cod!!) He did NOT play Snowed In, I think in deliberate protest to the foot of snow that is forecasted for tonight..( really enough all ready)!! A
A few other swing type songs that I don' know. Really a great show, which they usually all are, but Passims is such a great place to see him...I'm gonna have to get out to another show of his soon..Time to go shovel...

** Just thought of something else, Mark was talking about Zach and him being mentioned as most eligble bachelor and the magazine Improper Bostonian.. I think I need to go do a google search!!
Last edited by Patti on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”