December Fun!

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: December Fun!

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:16 am

Answer: "Linus and Lucy"

Now from my favorite Christmas movie....

Question: In Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, what is the name of the rock-band who wins the talent show (beating out Emmett and his band)? (I do allow and encourage Googling for answers.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

TallManinOregon

Postby TallManinOregon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:45 pm

The Riverbottom Nightmare Band... and they rock!

My next question is ridiculously easy...

Who's got a good question for the group?
Have at it... I've got nothin'!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Karen - although Linus and Lucy is a great song from that movie, the song which Lucy requests is Jingle Bells. Schroeder plays several version in different styles, but she is only satisfied when he frustratingly plunks it out a single key at a time..... to which she responds " That's it !"
Jeff

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:52 pm

I'll throw another question out then, from another of my favorites, How the Grinch Stole Christmas".

Question: Thurl Ravenscroft, who sang "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch," was also the voice of what famous TV spokes-character ? Hint - think breakfast.......
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 am

I took a guess! :oops:

KarenZ

PotatoPicker wrote:Karen - although Linus and Lucy is a great song from that movie, the song which Lucy requests is Jingle Bells. Schroeder plays several version in different styles, but she is only satisfied when he frustratingly plunks it out a single key at a time..... to which she responds " That's it !"
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Guesses are good ! Google can work for folks as well........ still looking for a great answer to the last question :)
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Jeff

Ewell Gibbons comes to mind as spokesman for morning cereal.........

:?:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 pm

"Many parts are edible......" - too funny.
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Theyrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre Great!!!

He was the voice of Tony the Tiger of breakfast cereal fame!

Christmas in New York.....no place like it! Just returned......wow! :shock:

Anyone know or heard of the by-now famous "Singing Christmas Tree"

:?:

It's a must!!!

:D
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Paddy - you'rrrrrrrrrre right !

Your turn with a question......
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Oh.....

ya betta watch out
ya betta not pout
ya betta not cry
i'm tellin ya why

Santa Claus is coming to town................... :D

the lyrics above are sung at the singing christmas tree in NYC, among others........ :P

Question:

Bruce Springsteen's famous version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.......

Can you name the year it was recorded live and where?
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 pm

Well we do have this on a vinyl single somewhere in the collection but had to check out exactly when and where.......

When : 12 December 1975
Where: C W Post College, Greendale, New York

Question: What's your favourite Xmas single and why?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 am

Jela, thanks for the answer to the Springsteen question. Had no idea it was that long ago..... :shock:

Thinking about your question this morning, it occured to me that one of my favorite singles is an oldy but goody. It was the one feel good song that played and played on the radio in my youth. The one that tought me a foreign language at a very early age. Gave me a better appreciation of celebrations elsewhere.

Answer: Feliz Navidad by blind singer Jose Feliciano. 8)

Question: Do you remember the first time you sat on Santa's lap and got to tell him about your wishlist and was it a positive experience?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:44 am

Answer: I vaguely remember sitting on Santa's lap....whether it was the first time or not, God only knows. :) I think it may have been the year I asked for a ballerina doll. If so, I got my wish. I loved how her feet were jointed at the ankles so that she could dance on her toes. I guess I made her dance too much, because 2 or 3 days after Christmas, one foot fell off completely. I was mortified.....and she never got fixed. Now I'm wondering why Santa didn't return her for another two-footed doll...... :cry:

Question: Since I can easily tell you when the last time was that I mailed a letter to Santa (last Saturday), that's my question to you all. Do you remember mailing a letter to Santa and, if so, what was on your wish list? I have a precious letter to Santa that my husband wrote when he was 8 or 9 years old. His list was long and included a Davy Crockett coonskin cap. :)

KarenZ
paddyinthepub wrote:Question: Do you remember the first time you sat on Santa's lap and got to tell him about your wishlist and was it a positive experience?

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 am

Favorite song: Would have to go with Carly Simon's Night Before Christmas... 1 because it is Carly and sounds like a Carly song and I have never heard anyone cover it . 2. I love hearing her kids ,nieces and nephews singing in the background ..

But you know Mark Erelli's Ain't No Time to Be Alone is a fun song.. I mean how can you not like a Christmas song that mentions Jose Cuervo :wink:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

TallManinOregon

Postby TallManinOregon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:45 pm

KarenZ wrote:Question: Since I can easily tell you when the last time was that I mailed a letter to Santa (last Saturday), that's my question to you all. Do you remember mailing a letter to Santa and, if so, what was on your wish list?
KarenZ

I am the youngest of 5 children so all of these types of activities we pretty well muted by my folks and older siblings by the time I was able to write on my own... I am sure that I did write and mail a list or two when I was very young, but it always seemed that what ever was on my list either ended up not arriving, arriving a year or two later, or like your ballarina, Karen... ended up being far less awesome than I thought it would be... an RC car comes immediately to mind.

Next Question:
How many articles of "This Time of Year Only" clothing do you have?
I have one tie that has a holly and golden bells pattern that I wear exactly once per year... next week... Once.

Did I mention that I will put it on only one time per year? That's an important part of the question... even if there's more than one appropriate occasion during the season, it only comes out one time...

(Man, I really am a scrooge!)

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:31 pm

I have a pair of socks with menorahs and sparkles that have giant stuffed dreidels hanging from the pom-pom spot in the back.

I wear them the day we do our family gift exchange.

I like that question so let's let that one roll.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:48 pm

I have a couple of shirts and socks. I think holiday clothes make it easier on what to decide to wear! Kids at school like to see holiday pins and earrings so I have plenty of them too for ALL holidays!!

TallManinOregon

Postby TallManinOregon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:13 pm

Bonus points for pictures!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:55 am

A: No festive clothing but I do have a pair of Santa earrings which get aired annually.

Q:With a brother who emigrated to Australia two years ago, I miss seeing him at this time of year - who or what do you miss most during this holiday?

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:11 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Q:With a brother who emigrated to Australia two years ago, I miss seeing him at this time of year - who or what do you miss most during this holiday?

A: No doubt about it – I miss being home in Northern Maine for Christmas. Being surrounded by snow, walking in the cold crisp air and looking up at the pageantry of stars which we can never see here in Massachusetts. The distant sounds of an occasional car over the hills and forests over on Route 1. The reflection of the stars and maybe a winter moon on the empty, snow-covered, potato fields. Heading back in to the logs burning on my parents’ fireplace, and embracing a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of Drambjuie to offset the cool slice of pumpkin pie. Playing cards into the wee hours with brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews who I rarely see.

For a variety of reasons Thanksgiving has become the holiday for which I am able to drive home, and it has been twenty years now since I was home for Christmas. Even as I type this, I know they are up there now enjoying each other’s company, reveling in the family present, and thinking of the family not present. Merry Christmas to everyone there – at my parent’s house, at home (or away from) the County, and to everyone here on this site. And especially a Merry Christmas to those separated not through convenience or choice, but perhaps by duty or obligation. May God bless each and everyone one of you.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks, Jeff for sharing those sentiments.

Safe travel tomorrow to our English friends who will be heading west to Boston....and to our friends from the mid-west who will be heading East. I guess Boston is the new Mecca. ;) See you all soon. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:54 pm

............and you travel safely too Karen.

See you all soon

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:41 am

Folks,

I figured it'd be OK to post this in the December Fun thread. My crazy aunt surprised me with this. :D

Karen and Ellis, the Dancing Elves

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Too funny! Are you going to wear your elf outfit on NYE Karen??????

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:16 pm

Jela,

I just finished packing. No room (thankfully) for the elf outfit. ;)

Glad to know you guys arrived safely! Have fun tonight in Portland! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:Too funny! Are you going to wear your elf outfit on NYE Karen??????

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:28 pm

okay that is hysterical...sometimes the silliest things are so funny...

I have an elf outfit I can bring to Cambridge Karen, so no worries about the lack of space in your suitcase. :wink:

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Iced tea out my nose... oh my goodness ! ! ! !
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:20 pm

I just wanted to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who participated in the 'December Fun' it was great to read all the questions, responses and to note the level of activity especially at what is a really busy time of year for all.

Happy New Year to you all and may 2009 see all your wishes come true.

Jela

Return to “Say Something”