Bill Deasy

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Bill took the stage for his set looking as good and as rested and as ready to sing as I've personally ever seen him on this stage. To say he was "on his game" would be putting it mildly. He entertained the crowd with tales of yore that tied into the songs. The Hotel Coronado, Willy Dafoe , the first song he ever wrote (at age 10 ) about first love. He gave a detailed account of the day he called his son's school to say he was sick (such a lie!!!) that led to taking his 10 year old son on his rite of passage concert road trip to Buffalo, NY. in a blinding snowstorm to see Bruce Springsteen.

Bill introduced himself and told the crowd the best way to remember his name was from his 8th grade Class President slogan: Vote for "D" and the rest is "easy" then went on to tell the story about the close vote and how he won by one vote, his opponent's, who's now the mother of his children and his wife!

He plugged the new TJA record several times and sang amazing versions of the songs from it. He played a request for a young Gathering Field fan who'd fallen aleep before Bill got the chance to play it for her parents and siblings. She was all of about 4 years old and her mom plays Bill's music so much she knows all the songs and was actually a liitle worried how she might react to hearing them live. She did just fine, as did we all on this night on the outskirts of Philly. Bill thanked the crowd with special thanks to Steel City Coffee House saying he really enjoyed playing here and how he felt safe playing here. Joy took over as Bill broke into an uplifting half tongue in cheek half heartfelt reprise of Falling Slowly.

Bill joined Laura Shay for two songs at the end of her amazing opening set for these two songs:

On the Other Side of the World (Laura Shay with Bill Deasy)
Falling Slowly (from the movie "Once") (Laura Shay with Bill Deasy)

Setlist:

* Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane

Tonight *
Sunshine *
Harder Than it Needs To Be *
Beautiful Stranger
Until I Get It Right (dedicated to Luke) The story leading up to Luke's right of passage concert was great. The call and response impressed Bill the first time, and yet. LOL!
You're Not Alone *
She's A Big Jerk (early heartbreak song)
Wishing Well
Middle Road (Gathering Field request for a young Bill Deasy fan)
It's Okay *
Sweet Thing (Van Morrison cover...Laura Shay had fun with Bill at the echo)
Over There *
Falling Slowly (Reprise)

encores:
Levi (Willem Dafoe sighting and MORE!!!)
Judgement Day (request by Laura for her mom)

Afterwards, Bill and Laura took time to chat with friends and fans. Both artists filled with excitement (I'd call it) at how the evening's concert had gone. Laura mentioned at one point that Bill had said that he thought the soundcheck of "Falling Slowly" sounded better to him.

Are you kidding me? :shock:

I'm so hangin out early the next time these two are set to grace the stage of Steel City Coffeehouse. :wink:

Heads up LA....... :D

Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane

6-3-08 9:00 PM Room 5 Lounge
143 N. La Brea
2nd Floor
323-938-2504 Los Angeles, CA

Spread the word!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 5:02 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane live on WDVE in Pittsburgh:

Bill Deasy..........acoustic guitar and lead vocal
Rich Jacques......electric guitar and bg vocal
Rob Giles...........bass and bg vocal
Quinn................drums

WDVE has added the second song TJA played live on air. 8)

Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane ~ All I Want
Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane ~ It's Okay

http://www.dve.com/pages/coffeehouse.ht ... le=3676843
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Late word that BD will be on the radio at 5pm today.

Just heard that Bill will be featured on today's version of Below the Surface on WYEP (http:://wyep.org/) at 5 PM today -- 5/27/08. Tune in!

I'm in!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:23 pm

paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:28 pm

I'll be at WoodyFest. :(

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:38 pm

I'll be neither place...... :(

Good trade! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 am

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Just a taste of Hoo Ha!

Lost in America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vtV6HyOaw

I'd Believe in God For You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88pkb_BdawQ
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:05 pm

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Booked a flight with TJA...can't wait! Will send postcard! :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 am

Bill's early mornin post over on his fan forum.......so here goes: :wink:

just about to hop a flight to Los Angeles for another round of TJA!!! Wanted to throw out a request to everybody to spread the word about whichever of the 4 shows (Hotel Cafe/LA, 2 Club Cafes, Sunday-Afternoon-Red-Room-All-Ages) you think you might be able to impact...that goes for the BDB Chester WV debut Friday as well. I'm looking forward to a week overflowing with music!!! Thanks everybody!!!!

http://www.billdeasy.com/tour_dates.htm
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Bill Deasy

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Here's a few myspace tv clips (from Mr. Small's in Pittsburgh) that just hit the web......we're seeing them first! 8)
This BDB lineup features Gar Mizra on Keyboards|Taylor Sinclair on guitar|Scott Tamulinas on Bass|Dave Throckmorton on Drums
Liz Berlin of Rusted Root has sung background vocals with Bill off and on for years and joins the band here.

Bill interviewed by Liz Berlin of Rusted Root (including "Bordertown" live)
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=38596088

Bill Deasy Live: Part 1 (When I Put the Record On)
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=38597124

Bill Deasy Live: Part 2 (The Gift of Seeing Through)
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=38599894
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Here's an interesting story out of Greensburg, Pa:

http://www.billdeasy.com/forum/thread.a ... 1454#start
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:46 am

For those in the Pittsburgh area today.....a last minute date for the Bill Deasy Band. Due to unforseen circumstances John Hiatt had to cancel his concert this evening at Hartwood Acres. The Bill Deasy Band will fill in and takes the stage at 730p tonight!!! It's a free all ages show! 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Bill's annual Live By Request Show is this Thursday night, one i'll sadly miss. :cry:

Here's a few words that arrived by e-letter, today.

Hey everybody. Just wanted to let you know that there are still tickets available for this Thursday's Live By Request Show at Club Cafe. Don't miss your chance to watch me walk across the high wire of my memory as you request long-lost favorites and unrecorded, rarely-performed gems along with a few staples. It's always a fun one...in a terrifying, occasionally embarrassing kind of a way. Get tickets HERE or buy 'em at the door. Show time is 8:00!!!!

Karen, if you're going and can, a report would be great!!! :)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 pm

I'll be there! :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 am

KarenZ wrote:I'll be there! :D

KarenZ

Karen, read posts about the LBR show.....Win You Back, Suzanne!!! 8)

For Philly area folks, Bill Deasy will be at Tin Angel tomorrow night opening for Lauren Hart.

Ya mo be there!

:D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 am

Paddy,

Sadly, my name wasn't drawn this year.....but if it had been, that's the song I would have requested.....so it worked out. ;)

It was a great show as usual. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:52 am

This might just be the best news I heard all day. It showed up tonight on Bill's website:

The fifth full-length Bill Deasy record will be coming out late November/early December. It's called "A Different Kind of Wild" and may just be the coolest thing ever! It features 11 new songs presented in all their stripped down ragged glory. Here's a list of the songs:

A Different Kind of Wild
To Reach You
The World That I Once Knew
My Ohio
Mystic Light
New Understanding
Gone to England
Silently
All Again
Chasing After
I Will

I recorded most of the parts myself in Pittsburgh then sent them off to my friend Chris Lore (the Yards, Brownie Mary) in Nashville for some sonic purification and subtle embellishment. We're not quite all the way done yet, but so far it's feeling slightly stellar. Kind of a cross between Nebraska and Moondance -- at least in my dreams.

MORE DETAILS COMING SOON!!!!!!!!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Oooh-la-la! Just how I like my songs! Stripped down to their ragged glory! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Karen,

If you want a sneak peek at the album cover for A Different Kind of Wild it's up on Bill's myspace now and if you want to see it even bigger just click on that myspace picture to see all 13 photos and wallah! 8)

Bill and Rich...aka Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane at Club Cafe this Friday night...acoustic, no less. :D

Ya goin?

With Laura Shay opening, and singing with the guys, you might just get their version of Falling Slowly. 8)

Hope so..for your sake. Also, keep an ear out for The Other Side of the World, a new song of Laura's that's will be on her soon to be released CD.....and features Bill singing with her on 2 of the songs. With any luck at all Bill will again join her onstage and sing it with her......I fell hard for it when they did it here.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks for the MySpace heads-up, Paddy. I'll be seeing BillD on Oct. 10th in California, PA - the college town where I got my undergrad degree - since it's just a few miles from where I live. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:39 pm

Karen....you lucky girl, you! :D

Just saw this message from the man over on his site:

Friday Night at Jozarts

I'm planning on trying a bunch of material from my upcoming release at this one...so if you're in the mood for some new stuff, make the scene! Supposed to be a very cool venue.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Hey Karen

Just noticed that Bill Deasy has added a songwriting workshop over at California U. the afternoon of the Jozarts show.

10-10-08......2-4 PM........California University
Natili Student Center
Vulcan Theatre
250 University Ave. California, PA Free Songwriting Workshop with Bill Deasy & Jason Kendall. Free and open to the public.

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 pm

I had hoped to be there for the workshop....but I'm teaching a class at work until 12:30p....which makes it impossible to get to California, PA by 2pm. :( But I'll definitely be there for the evening performance. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 am

In the interest of time, I'm copying and pasting here what I posted on Bill's board about the Friday night show. The venue was Jozarts Studio in California, PA, the college town where I got my undergrad degree. :)

What a treat to be able to listen to Bill so close to home...for those of us who live in the "sticks" south of Pittsburgh. :) Really enjoyed the two openers. Hard to believe that Maddie Georgi is only sixteen years old; her lyrics show a maturity beyond her years. And Jason Kendall is just so darn cute. 'Nuf said 'bout that. :wink: And in case I've never said it before....I love Bill Deasy's music. 8) Loved all the new songs and had to guess on one or two titles.

The setlist:

different kind of wild
wishing well
all again
down where she goes?
the world I once knew
racing in the street (Springsteen cover had folks applauding at its end)
Levi
new understanding
let somebody in
Halleluia (Leonard Cohen)
judgement day (Jason Kendall on harmonica)
lost in america (Jason on sax!)
until I get it right

What a wonderful night of music. Bill told a funny story about crossing a wet and busy street carrying a Starbucks in his neighborhood of Shadyside wearing Crocs....and slipping and falling on the wet pavement.....without spilling his coffee. :shock: All of a sudden I had this burning desire to know what color Crocs he owns.....as a mental image of PINK or YELLOW or LIME GREEN flit through my head.....and I shocked myself when I heard my own voice yelling out "What color Crocs?". So.....here's the trivia tidbit for the night. Bill owns DARK BLUE Crocs. :P

Had a hankering to hear the Leonard Cohen song after posting this, and found this YouTube video of Cohen performing the song. Wow. :shock:

Leonard Cohen - Halleluja

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks Karen......awesome report. :D

Croc'd.....I mean cracked up reading your need for color clarity!!! :lol:

Also enjoyed reading this about the story, posted on another show thread at Bill's site:

Laura Shay’s set was excellent (as always) and she announced that she has a new CD, “Bittersweet,” coming out soon, with Bill singing on two of the tracks. Bill joined her on stage last night for two songs, an original by Laura and a lovely cover of the Frames’ “Falling Slowly.” And speaking of ‘falling slowly’..... we heard a great story about Ninja Bill’s Amazing Aiken Avenue Acrobatics (you *really* had to be there for that one!)

:lol:

Til your report I was in the dark as to what had transpired. Thanks for the ''rest of the story" .......... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi folks

The title track to Bill's new release (Nov.25th) is now up on his myspace.

A Different Kind of Wild

8)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:48 pm

great sound great song.. looking forward to the new album..thanks for the link, Paddy.

I like all the you tube videos along the side.. if you click all four of them at once and turn the sound down on three of them, it's kind of like watching him at a live show!! :wink:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:24 am

Hey Patti

I tried the concert thing with all players going and sound down on all but one..... :D
It's kinda like watchin a big arena show with screens. :lol:
I'm in for the real deal tonight with a 'roadtrip' down the pa. tpk to see the BDB rock the HRC... 8)

have a great weekend all......
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 am

Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:24 am

If anyone finds themselves in the vicinity of East Liverpool, Ohio this weekend I'd like to suggest you head over to the East Liverpool Motor Lodge where on Saturday the Bill Deasy Band is slated to take the stage at 10pm. I have it on good authority the band will be taking no prisoners. :wink:

Special rates are in effect at the lodge for any out of towners coming in for the show! 8)

11-8-08 at 10:00 PM
East Liverpool Motor Lodge
2340 Dresden Ave.
East Liverpool, OH
(330) 386-5858

Advance tickets available through TicketMaster. The Motor Lodge is offering a special room rate for Friday and Saturday night! To take advantage of this offer, be sure to tell them you're coming in for the show when you make your room reservation! 21+ Tickets are $10

East Liverpool Motor Lodge

East Liverpool, Ohio on google map
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Robert Keen tonight and Bill Deasy tomorrow night in Media, Pa. Life is good! :)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Paddy,

I'm GREEN.

:mrgreen:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:25 am

Karen, and all.

Bill's new release, A Different Kind of Wild, drops today. I've had it since Saturday night when we saw Bill in concert with Jim Boggia benefitting the local SPCA. The concert was a huge success, and the bonus was that Bill had copies of the new one with him for sale. Well, as a fan, and a biased one at that, it was safe to assume that I was going to like this one. But not this much!!! Wow!!! It's gorgeous, on so many levels!

CD Release Party is this Friday (8pm sharp) at Moondog's in Blawnox, Pa. just outside Pittsburgh proper.

Karen....... :shock:

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 am

Paddy,

That show would have been a double whammy for me since I adore Jim Boggia. 8)

I have to get to a BillD show soon.....not sure when though....

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:34 am

Bill's dance card is pretty full for December so I'm seeing plenty of chances for yinz to catch a show! :wink:

My first time to see Jim Boggia......wow, again!!! 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 am

Karen and all.....

Bill Deasy will be live this morning at radio station WDVE 102.5 fm in Pittsburgh between 9a and 920a

You can stream it live here:

Click on Listen Live under Logo
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 am

Paddy,

Drat. Missed it. :cry:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 am

Karen...

Bill, with Chris Parker on guitar, performed The World That I Once Knew...they sounded awesome!!! 8)

Newsflash...........Deejay just announced more with Bill Deasy coming up!!! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:59 am

Oh, the things you have to endure on commercial rock radio......the deejays razzed Bill saying they wanted to help him with promotion by suggesting potential new album titles.....

Deasy Listening
Eggs Over Deasy
Nice an Deasy
AC/Deasy

All leading up to Bill performing an amazing live version of the title track to the new one.....

A Different Kind of Wild

Which is kicking my musical backside these days. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:26 pm

CD Release party tonight at Moondog's in Blawnox, Pa. 8)

Good Lord willin and the creeks don't rise.....

Have a great weekend, everyone!
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm

You too Paddy.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm

The author talks about "Ransom Seaborn" to college students.

Ransom Seaborn reading
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:54 am

This Thursday night you can stream a Bill Deasy concert live from Kulak's Woodshed in Los Angeles.

attendance is free -- just arrive early!
to stream live over the web -- a donation to Kulak's Woodshed (via paypal) is necessary.
Michael McDermott is also on the bill for this one.

Kulak's Woodshed in Los Angeles

For the sake of the song

Stream a Bill Deasy performance in LA info here

8pm (PST) LA
10pm (CST) DALLAS
11pm (EST) NEW YORK

:P
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey guys

Just a gentle reminder the Bill Deasy show is tonight.

11pm.....eastern
10pm.....central
8pm.......pacific

Show lasts 2 hours.

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 pm

It was slightly awesome!!!

A guy named Matt had set the whole thing up for his girlfriend in order to pop the question with friends and familly all over the country watching online......they apparently had been living together a long time and folks were always asking when he was going to ask her to marry him. She was overwhelmed and excitedly said YES!!!

He had arranged to have their two favorite artists play (they have been fans of Bill and Michael a long, long, time.)

Michael began on piano while Bill sat perched on a stool in front of his microphone, guitar in hand. Michael finished his song and said here's Bill. Then Bill played an old song from Gathering Field days. Bound To Be. It was great.

Afterwards Bill said that Matt wanted to say something. Matt came up and took the microphone off of Bill's stand and proceeded to talk about how he had been a fan for so long of both and to have them both here in LA was special.

He talked about how cool the Kulak's Woodshack was and that it was great that it was being streamed worldwide. Of his family and her family long wondering when he might ask her the question. She was totally unaware he had set this all up. He called her up and began to tell her how much she meant to him. How all their family and friends were watching them online right now. He proceeded to profess how much she meant to him and how he couldn't think of a better place, or better time, to ask her the question......He got down on one knee and with a ring from his pocket asked: Michele, Will you marry me? She was so cute. And so surprised. She said yes! They hugged and kissed.

She said she wondered how it could be that both Michael and Bill would song swap the first two songs and both sing her absolute all time favorite songs. She thought her luck could not have been any better. She waved to the friends and family watching online and smiled and cried and pointed to the ring on her finger. It was magical.

Bill took his place again and proceed to play the new song written for his wife........I Will. He told a cute story about how she had won a week stay at a hotel in San Francisco on the Price is Right gameshow months earlier while in LA on a business trip. They honeymooned in SF and stayed at the hotel. On a day trip to Sausalito Bill said he was amazed by all the flowers everywhere. The song begins with a hike up a flower covered hillside.......

While Bill played the love song he wrote for his wife the cameras panned over to Matt and Michelle on the couch. All beaming with love and excitement that they were finally engaged to be married......it was so sweet!

Bill played about an hour...with pauses for donations mentioned and emails sent in and read by the emcee.

Bill played....

Bound to Be
I Will
Levi
Wishing Well
So it Goes
Lost in America
Let Somebody in
Until I Get it Right

Cool setup at Kulak's with great audio and video camera angles.....Bill looked and sounded great.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 pm

Wow, Paddy. Thanks for the detailed report. What a wonderful show/moment in time. :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:29 pm

I saw (but could not hear) some of the live stream...Wow, what a way to propose... unbelievable what some will do for love!! how sweet....
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Paddy - thanks for sending me the link. As it turned out, I got home from Christmas shopping at about 11:15 and had a few things to do on the computer, so thought I would listen in - unfortunately I could not get the feed :( Sounds like it was an extraordinary evening.....
Jeff

Return to “Looking for My Friends”