Today (June 22) in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (June 22) in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:40 pm

Trivia has returned. :wink: One good thing about the old posts being gone is that now you guys don't know when I'm reusing trivia questions that I've used in the past. Change is good. :)

On June 22, 1999 I was fortunate to be in the audience of the Ellis Paul show at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Ellis performed for one hour only on The Millenium Stage, but what a one hour it was. Ellis played three songs that have never been recorded, but were very much in rotation back then. Can you guess what they might be? You're gonna love this scavenger hunt to find the answers. Just click on the link below.
And, oh yeah....enjoy. :wink:

Ellis Paul at the Kennedy Center

KarenZ

http://stream.bc.edu/ramgen/omc/bcm/bcm-ellis-paul-220.rm
Last edited by KarenZ on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 am, edited 8 times in total.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 am

Wow, Karen, what a gem of a link. Thank you. Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:44 am

Thanks Sue Ellen. I realize you may not recognize the 3 songs I referred to since you're a relatively new fan.....but I'm getting goosebumps thinking you of you hearing them for the 1st time.

Paddy, the first song starts with some wicked harmonica....just for you. ;)

Becky, it's your favorite song. :)

"And your kiss could heal like medicine,
there ain't nothing that it can't overcome
But I could not lean on this evidence
For fear you'd take the cure and you'd run" -- Ellis Paul

Oh my. I keep listening to the first song....is this on Ellis' "Best of" list? I have to go look....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:00 am

Great link! Now I've finally heard some of those gems that I'd only met in the book before.
Thanks Karen!
-wendy

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:31 am

Thanks for bringing back great memories, Karen! I remember this so vividly...I left work early that day to go home and listen in...it was the first time I'd heard music live over the internet. I can't listen to this here at work (I use Windows media player and not real player), so am trying to remember what 3 songs hadn't been recorded. I do remember hearing "Changing Your Name"....it has to be one of my alll-time favorites ever. I also remember "Maria's Beautiful Mess" ...this show was before the "Live" cd came out. Did he perform "Everything's Broken" at that show??

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:41 am

Becky,

Your memory continues to astound me :!: You guessed two of the three songs....yes, he starts with "changing Your Name" (which was so new that on my setlist I guessed that the title was "if I could") and later does "everythng's broken". Wow.

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:01 am

Karen - now you are confusing me. Beck named 3 songs, two of which are on the Live CD...... So how did she get 2 of the 3 which have never been recorded ? Or doesn't the Live CD count ? ;) (I love how the web site calls it the Live "album"...... We need to do some serious album cover art for Ellis ;) )
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:13 am

Jeff,

Mea culpa. I was wrong. Totally forgot that "changing your name" is on Ellis Paul Live. (I can't use the jet lag excuse any more, right?) :wink: So the Kennedy Center show has two songs that have never been recorded. One is "everything's broken" and the other is "rainy season".

Sorry for the confusion!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:32 am

I just happened to be listening to that CD on my computer this morning :D

Can't seem to get my phonograph to plug into my computer very well..... there's no USB port on it.
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:51 pm

jeezum crow, first the cable goes out and now this thread is best commented upon by folks with High Speed connections. Once I view the performance I'll comment. Til Then, thanks Karen for providing the link.

Ellis finally pulls out the harmonica, allows a video to be made, provides us a link and her I am once again: why o why do i wi - fi?

Somebody get me Bill Gates on the phone!!!

Oh wait, did we pay the phone bill on time?

Yea, hi Bill, Paddy here!!! Listen, and listen good.

It's about Ellis and my internet connection.

Uh huh. You say you don't work there anymore?

oh well.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Lovin' my Comcast High Speed Internet.... been watching/listening to "Changing Your Name" over and over again.... :wink:

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Just noticed we have a board full of people saying Jeezum Crow now. I love it :D
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:17 am

We should have a new one every month. What do ya say guys? Who's in?
my candidates for jeezum crow trade:

dang nabbit............or tar nation...........or........for the love.

Realizing these are probably all from old Warner Bros. Cartoons.
Except of course, Jeezum crow, which if memory serves is from a movie.
I'm thinking black and white, stars Gregory Peck as a lawyer. To Kill a Mockingbird, I think.

Right?
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:16 am

Well, I don't remember Jeezum Crow from "To Kill A Mockingbird", and it s very much a northern New England saying (Maine/New Hampshire.Vermont). I can't think of a Greory Peck movie which uses it - but I could well be wrong.
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 pm

In Rhode Island you hear people start a sentence with "not for nothing but"...it means they probably shouldn't be saying what they are about to say. Massachusetts has the wicked thing... wicked cool, wicked hot, wicked pissa, wicked bad, ...they all mean the same which is to say they are all good!!

I tried to post this before, I hit preview by mistake, and then couldn't find it , so this may show up twice...

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Wicked post patti, and wicked guess over at the haiku. My wife took her neice to NYC this weekend for her SWEET 16 birthday present. One of the many things they plan to see and do is the B'way play WICKED. We were there over Spring Break and took our 7 year old to see it. It was wicked good, and he now has the soundtrack. He knows all the words to LOATHING by heart. Wicked photographic memory has he.

Jeff - -The bubble of my knowledge seems to be stretching thin these days. Not sure if the movie ref is right. Pretty sure it was Greg Peck and black and white. Whichever the film, it was the only time I've ever heard the expression Jeezum Crowe...........until here with you all.

I'll figure it out.....

ps - - -went to post this earlier and had accidentally clicked on NEW TOPIC
- - - - so that was a bit of a lost post.

Jeezum crowe :!:
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Wicked is definitely alive and well up here in Maine, as is (of COURSE) jeezum crow. One of my personal favorites is dag nabit, but I could have picked that up when I was a South Dakota girl.

Another very Maine expression? "..., let me tell you!" It's inserted at the end of the most interesting variety of statements and used, basically, for emphasis (and to make absolutely sure you know exactly who is giving such wealth of information).

:mrgreen:

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”