Jackson Browne

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Jackson Browne

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am

Doctor My Eyes on the radio started it for me. A friend in high school had Jackson Browne ...Saturate Well Before Using. Another friend led me to For Everyman.

Early highlight: On For Everyman....the way Jackson Browne's version of Take it Easy - track1 on the album seamlessly blended into the start of track2 Our Lady of the Well.....one of the coolest passages in music. :)

I wanted a house and a courtyard like the one on the cover..... :D

I'm still trying to find some evidence that Jackson Browne's lyrics in Take It Easy varied slightly from the Eagle's version, which I now know was recorded and released ahead of JB's. Hmmn. I'd have swore it was the other way around. Anyway, pretty amazing songs for a young artist. 8)

Guess there's a whole lot more to the story of how "Take It Easy" came to be written by JB and Glenn Frey of the Eagles. Here's a link to a little website called songfacts.com with a thread on the subject. :D Noone there, however, is willing to substantiate my rumor of an "old buckboard" in the lyrics. :? Not yet, anyway!!! :P

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3067

Let me just say here that I love the common thread that seems to run through the music I love to listen to. You can see it all over the place. I'll start with Ellis finding a home for flat-bed ford in his new song Hurricane Angel, a song that speaks to the troubles Katrina brought to the folks in New Orleans.

Another artist I love, Jeff Black, has a great song called: Take it Easy on me

See what I mean? 8)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 pm

I know Annie mentioned this in the Hurricane Angel thread already but it bore repeating. I'm still looking for some tidbit of Take It Easy trivia that'll back my belief that the original lyrics were old buckboard vs. flat-bed Ford.... :roll:

In doing so, I came across an interview where he mentions the Spanish Version......too funny.....thanks again, Annie..... :D Here's a little more of the story:

Browne: No. “Take It Easy” wouldn’t even be the song it is if Glenn hadn’t insisted I finish it. Then he offered to finish it and made it a hit song. I was playing in Colorado and a guy invited me to come and hear him sing in a bar. I went down there and the guys he had been sitting in with were all packing up. He said, “These guys are going. Will you sing something with me?” We were trying to figure out what to sing, but we didn’t know any of the same songs. Finally he said, “Well, do you know ‘Take It Easy?’” I said, “Yeah, I guess I do.” He had no idea I had written it! There are lots of covers of “Take It Easy.” It’s been done in Chinese, Spanish, Dutch and Finnish. A friend of mine who lives in Spain did a version. Instead of singing, “I’m looking for a lover who won’t blow my cover,” he said, “I’m looking for a lover who’s not religious, not dangerous and will eat me like a lobster in pink sauce.” I thought that was a pretty good addition!

:lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Annie and all others...

Just found this youtube of Sky Blue and Black

You may have seen it already....strange to see it related to the 9-11 tragedy and had me questioning how it could be that I didn't know this song was about 9-11 but of course the song was written in 1993 and the song seemed to fit the tragic events of that time.

Just want to offer/warn that the youtube video includes footage of the planes going into the WTC buildings on that fateful day. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8p_aogGL2U
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 pm

The early results are in and on this record JB had me at hello...... 8)

Only got as far as the opening lines of Somethin Fine.... 8)

Lovin the banter with the audience and the stories in between songs. 8)

And Jackson's playing and singing is sounding, well, "somethin fine." :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 am

Jackson Browne at his intimate best....love it when he struggles to figure out how to end the concert with requests flying his way from the crowd.

Anyway...his guitar and vocals so strong...so powerful...even still.

Love the punchline to the story about his girlfriend of 10 years story.

I learned I had some lyrics from way back ALL WRONG..... :shock:

:D
paddy

annieb

Re: Jackson Browne

Postby annieb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Jackson's got his first new studio album set to be released in six years!!

'Time the Conqueror'

First look at the cover definitely took me by surprise....let's just say it's a new look for Jackson, leading me to believe it could be a new kind of sound as well. I am intrigued!!

Release date is 9/23 and you can bet that this Jaxngroopi will have her face pressed up against the glass of Barnes and Noble waiting for them to open!! I may have to call in sick from work that day... :twisted: 8)

He is following the release with a small tour with the band. I have really enjoyed the solo acoustic tours that he has been doing in recent years, but Jackson really comes to life with his band. And he happens to have an excellent band!!

I can't wait!!! :)

Annie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:20 pm

:shock:

Annie...was just about to ask where I could view the new look photo and now i see that it's right here!

sweet! :D :D :D

thanks so much.....looking forward to the release myself! 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Anyone heard the newly released Jackson Browne CD?

:wink:
paddy

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Have you guys ever heard of Steve Noonan and Greg Copeland?

Both are high-school friends of Jackson's, both have released their debut album ages ago (Revenge Will Come for Copeland in 1982, and "Steve Noonan" for Steve, commonly known as the "Elektra LP", back in 1968) and both are their sophomore efforts these days.

ImageImage

Copeland is the lucky guy as his "Diana and James" is released on JB's own label, Inside Recordings, while Noonan is self-releasing demos on home-made CDRs. I haven't heard Copeland's album but I do love Noonan's songs.

You can order Steve's CDs (a reissue of the Elektra LP + some recent live cuts, and the demos) on his website: http://www.stevenoonan.com and http://www.myspace.com/stevenoonanmusic

Copeland is working in a lawyers office and doesn't even have a website, so I started a MySpace page for him at http://www.myspace.com/gregcopelandfan where you can get most, if not all, information available on Greg!

Read also this piece about Copeland on Kevin Avery's Paul Nelson page

Herve

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:57 am

Me back again

i've just started a website for Greg. If you have some additional info and pictures, I sure could use them!

http://mysongwriters.com/GregCopeland/

Thanks in advance.

Herve

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 am

From Bob Lefsetz' letter

I first experienced Jackson Browne at the Fillmore East, opening for Laura Nyro. This was long before I even knew who David Geffen was, never mind the fact that the two shared a manager. All I knew was this guy opening for my favorite riveted the audience. Kept everybody in rapt attention, almost an impossibility for an unknown act without a record in release. I waited in excess of a year for that debut to finally hit the store. I purchased it at Sam Goody and played it incessantly. Loving "Rock Me On The Water" and "Something Fine". This was long before "Doctor My Eyes" was plucked from the record as a single.

And by time the second album came out, twenty months later, Jackson was a known quantity. Not only had he had his own hit, he'd co-written the Eagles' breakthrough debut. But "For Everyman" contained no singles. And neither did its follow-up, "Late For The Sky". Jackson was gone from AM radio. He was only for a growing legion of fans. Who connected with this album-long opus.

That's what we did. Travel down to the record store to buy a hit of dope. Which we didn't smoke or inject, but placed on a turntable. But, the trip we took was oh-so-real. We gained insights that eluded movies and television. If you wanted to know which way the wind blew, you played a record.

And, as a result, this business blew up. Millions of copies would be sold of albums with no hit, sometimes not even any tangible airplay. Concerts that began in theatres graduated to arenas, then stadiums. Your hardest problem was getting a ticket.

Seemingly everything sold out, almost instantly. Going to the show wasn't just a badge of honor, but an unmissable experience. Hanging with your brethren as your favorite played those songs you wore out on the disc.

A singer-songwriter like Jackson Browne could go on to superstardom. Banding together with his peers to stop the proliferation of nuclear power. But then came MTV. And the boy bands. And the CD revolution. The amount of money involved was staggering, no one wanted to leave a cent on the table. Albums sold double digit millions. Concert ticket prices went into the stratosphere. And then it all collapsed.

They say Napster killed the music business, I'm not so sure. There was a confluence of factors, radio consolidation, MTV moving away from videos and the sheer plethora of new material. But, all this change rendered the classic acts of yore impotent. They could record new music, but no one wanted to hear it. If you paid a hundred bucks you believed you were entitled to hear the hits. It wasn't a once a month experience, concertgoing was
oftentimes a once a year experience.

As for the young 'uns, the purveyors told us they were initiating kids into the concertgoing experience. But that's not what got us hooked, extravaganzas peppered with evanescent singles. The culture was gone. You had to have a new star every season. To the point where there were no new stars. Just old stars playing old material to an aged audience and auto-tuned youngsters playing to either very few or a lot once. Everything we boomers were brought up on, everything we believed in, was gone.

So I didn't have high expectations for Jackson Browne's concert last night. Wherein he was going to play too much new material to a half full house.

But that wasn't the case. It was positively staggering. Must've been a telephone campaign, they must have read about it in the newspaper, because these tech-unsavvy denizens got the word. The venue was full and they gave standing o's to new material!

And I'm sitting there thinking how Jackson Browne has a body of work. The focus was on his post hit material, from the nineties on. Oh, he played about a track from each of those early albums, but there was more material from "I'm Alive", "Looking East" and "Naked Ride Home". And, not the obvious tracks either. Who'd expect twelve years later Jackson would fire up "Culver Moon"?

But he did. Prefacing it with a story about Culver City. How in the rest of the country they didn't quite understand what he was saying.

Yes, it was a hometown crowd. And we loved it. Jackson telling us one number was composed on the bike path and at that icy snowboarding hill at the edge of the Valley. How "Live Nude Cabaret" was inspired by that place on Pico. How many times have I driven by that? THOUSANDS? It was like the seventies. Coming to L.A. and finding out there truly was an El Monte Legion Stadium. That all those references in Frank Zappa and Firesign Theatre records were real.

They applauded the playing. They exclaimed for the backup singers. They hooted for the political numbers.

The audience was supposed to be dead. They were supposed to talk and go for a drink during the eight new songs. They weren't supposed to even know the album tracks, never mind enthusiastically appreciate them. It gave me hope.

Because this is exactly how it started out. There won't be a review in the paper. There won't be footage on "Entertainment Tonight". TMZ didn't send a crew. The show was only for the people who were there. Swooning when Jackson played "Fountain Of Sorrow", immediately jumping to their feet when he did "The Pretender". This show was more alive than the productions of those topping the hit parade. There was a soulful quality. The audience was engaged. It wasn't about the backdrop, there was no dancing. It was about the music. And it hasn't been about the music for such a long time. But those in attendance, they remember. They still believe. Jackson Browne may not have a record deal, but he's got an audience. And the latter is much more important.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:02 am

Thanks Herve.......I think I just found my new favorite music writer in Bob Lefsetz....... :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:34 am

Late night forum readers......

Jackson Browne is on tv tonight....in about 15 minutes from now on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

8)
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”