The Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova)

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova)

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Folks,

It's time that these two had a thread separate from the movie Once. :)

Glen and Marketa, performing together as The Swell Season, are currently touring in the U.S. Check their MySpace (below) for tour dates:

http://www.myspace.com/theswellseason

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 am

There's a nice article in this months Performing Songwriter magazine.

You can read most of it here. For the rest you have to buy the mag :(

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pag ... season.cfm

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 am

Annie, thanks for sharing the article. Nice photo of Glen and Marketa.

I love this Q&A:

Have you had time to process everything that’s happened since 2006?
Hansard: There’s been no time to absorb anything. The last two years have been pretty crazy, in the most wonderful kind of way you can imagine.
Irglová: It hasn’t sunk in yet. It probably isn’t going to hit me until a year from now. I’ll look back and be like, “Jesus, check out what happened!”
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:42 pm

I subscribe to the magazine and was excited when I saw the cover a few days ago. Thanks for posting the link Annie. :) The most gratifying tidbit for me was learning that Glen and Market are 38 and 20 years old respectively. Now I'm not as fearful about my 29 year old son's fiance being 20. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Funny.....I never gave either's age much thought but when I did I presumed them to be around the same age. So the news today that there's an 18 year difference in their ages has me thinking i just can't tell people's ages as well as I was once could. :? So tell me anything! :lol:

What I really enjoy is the juxtapositions of the couple's story in the movie "Once" and their real life present day situation. It's cool stuff. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 pm

And I got my ticket for their Sept. 21 performance here in Pittsburgh! 8)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: The Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova)

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:02 am

Folks,

Only two days to go until I get to see Glen and Marketa! :)

This was in yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in anticipation of Sunday's show at the Byham Theater in Pittsburgh:

Oscar-winning "Once" has opened doors for The Swell Season

And to think that Glen and his band The Frames played at the Club Cafe six years ago! :shock: And I missed it! :cry:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 am

Karen - hope you enjoyed the show and look forward to reading your report.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:01 am

Jela and all,

There aren't enough adjectives to describe last night's show. It was truly (next to seeing Ellis Paul for the first time) ;) one of the best performances I have ever experienced. The 1300-seat Byham Theater in downtown Pittsburgh was filled.....but Glen managed to make it feel like a small, intimate space. My friend Eric and I had pretty good seats - Orchestra Left, Row M.

Glen and Marketa came out and did two songs together - she on piano, he on acoustic guitar. Surprising they did "falling slowly" - the Academy Award-winning song - as the second song. (I had kinda thought we wouldn't hear it until closer to the end.) Then Glen brought the band - The Frames - out and did several songs with the band which consisted of violin, drums, bass guitar, electric guitar. Then Marketa and the band left the stage and Glen did several numbers solo acoustic. (He's still playing the acoustic guitar with the big hole in the front.) Then he really blew my mind when he unplugged.....walked to the edge of the stage and did "say it to me now" with as much passion as you can imagine. OMG. You could hear a pin drop. In a 1300-seat theater. Oh yeah.....he's a folkie at heart. ;)

The band came back out and they did several more songs. Twice Glen and Marketa reversed roles with Marketa taking the lead and playing acoustic and Glen played piano. She did a brand new song called "I love you wrong" and the other one was a song from the movie...but now which one it was escapes me. Glen invited the audience to sing a couple times.....even on songs that he said weren't really sing-a-longs. ;) (He's quite humorous and, of course, made a few Irish comments that were well received.) :)They played for an hour and 15 minutes then made off like they were done....but the audience, instantly on their feet, clamored long and loudly and they all came back out for the longest encore (if that's what it was) ;) and did probably another 6 or 7 songs. It started with Marketa solo on piano doing her song "The Hill" (that she does in the movie) that starts out with that line about "walking up a hill tonight". Wow. I should say that her English seems much improved (less of an accent) compared to her spoken lines in the movie and she's very articulate. During the encore when all the band members were on stage, Glen introduced them all, then had the violinist do a solo instrumental number that he said was called "blue [something]". (Sorry....I didn't take any notes so this is all from memory....and you know how that goes.) ;) But then the highlight of the evening (for me) took place when Glen started talking about a long-time musician friend who had moved to Pittsburgh ten or more years ago....how they had busked on the streets of Dublin together and later each started their own bands.....then, much to my joy, he brought that friend, Mark Digman out, and had Mark do a song....with Glen and the band offering support. It was a special, special moment. I was so thrilled....and I can only imagine how Mark felt. The Pittsburgh crowd (who know and love Mark Dignam) went crazy. That was such a gracious thing to do that I now absolutely love Glen Hansard. :) (The smalled good deed surpasses the grandest good intention.) Glen and the band did another 1 or 2 songs and the show ended just before 10pm...so they played nearly two hours.

It was really, really wonderful. The lighting....the sound....the SOUND......the music.....the humor......the passion.....the LOVE. It's so obvious that Glen is so grateful for their success...thanking the audience more than once for all the support and for listening.

Their US tour continues through Oct. 4 so if they come to a city near you - GO! Jela, I see that they will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London on Nov. 24! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:23 am

Karen

That review rocked!!! 8)

Thanks! :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Oh Karen the evening sounds just wonderful - thanks for the review.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Jela,

Are you going to go see them in November???

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 am

Not sure that we'll be able to fit it in as we have plans already to go to 8 concerts in November so it a busy time on the live music front. Have to see nearer the date of their concert.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:22 am

Folks,

Here's a review of the show from yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Thankfully, it fills in some of my memory gaps....like that they opened with a Van Morrison tune....:)

Music Review: Swell Season shines spotlight on Hansard

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 am

Karen your review and that review makes me really want to see them in concert...sad thing is they are not playing anywhere near me... (they may have been in my area recently :( I was havinig a hard time finding info and links to the tour..

Into the Mystic** is probably my favorite Van Morrison song and I like a lot of them.. I hope you enjoyed it. :D

Years ago I saw a movie on TV, Immediate Family that had this song in it.... Not sure if I like the song so much because of the movie or vice versa .
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:51 am

GREAT review, Karen!

Patti, they played at Agganis (sp?) arena this past Friday night with Patty Griffin and someone else, can't remember. I didn't hear a thing about it until Friday when reading the newspaper! Would have loved to have gone to that show!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 am

Enjoyed reading that review, Karen.....thanks for posting the link. :)

Interesting that they chose to get Falling Slowly out of the way early. It seems to me a way to get the audience focused on all the other great songs they were about to hear that night as opposed to having most folks waiting anxiously to hear them do the song. Nice touch. I love Into the Mystic as well, and I do believe I've seen many artists open with cover songs to sort of ease into the night with a song that is not their own. I enjoyed reading how he was somewhat stunned some of the older Frames classics were not played.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Monicar, never heard of Agannis Areana before.. and now twice in the same day!!!
Just got an email from the Me and Thee Coffeehouse that Antje will be playing this weekend. Below is from that email

Special guest: Just last Friday, Steven Bacon got scooped off the sidewalk in front of the Agannis Arena in Boston and was asked to perform on stage in front of thousands who were there to see the Oscar-winning indie duo, The Swell Season (Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova) as representative of a street-singing busker. He got a standing ovation. Steven has always wanted to play at the me&thee so we've decided to make yet another dream come true for him this week. Come experience this special evening of music.
**Agannis Arena is at Boston University**

( I will try to post the link as well as there is an interview with Antje in it)
http://meandthee.org/

I will be seeing Antje in a few weeks... but wish I was going to this show as well...nt

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Patti,

Steven Bacon just registered for the board. I hope he chimes in on this thread so we can get all the scoop. ;) Steven? Are you there? Welcome! :)

KarenZ

stevenbacon

Postby stevenbacon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:03 pm

hi Karen,

steven bacon here.... been meaning on stopping by the board for awhile!

i would love to share my experience with the swell season as well as talk about what it was like for me to spend an afternoon with ellis paul, playing songs for each other, one on one.

since this is an ellis paul forum, i'll just give you a link to an account of my swell season experiance that i've written. someone sent me the audio of the whole thing so that's also posted and includes some pics too. it's all at http://www.stevenbacon.com/the_glen_page

i've also kept a running blog of the experiance and what has happened since at this songwriter forum: http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads ... w/1#UNREAD

So, spending the afternoon with Ellis was an AMAZING experience for me. After the swell season show, my friend rachel klein of Ellis's management company passed on my story to ellis and he invited me to a gig to play songs for each other in his green room before the show.

Although most of you probably already know this.....Ellis is as kind, warm, humble, giving, and sharing of a person as you'll ever have the fortune to meet. We spent a few hours playing songs for each other and ellis made me feel completely at home and welcome.

He is such a master of performance, of connecting with the audience, of crafting a song, of pacing a show, of lighting up a room with his spirit and charisma, of completly expressing himself with his voice and insturment...i learned more about the craft in a day with ellis then i usually do in a year on my own.

It was an awesome preview of how organic and real the music industry can be when you approach it with a giving spirit and surround yourself with people like ellis's management company.

i can't begin to convey what an impact this day with ellis has had on me. He has really opened my eyes to new posibillities in my songwriting, performance, self expression, and career intent.

if you read this Ellis, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-steven bacon
http://www.stevenbacon.com
http://www.myspace.com/stevenbacon

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 am

This is such a cool story... thanks for the links Steve... will def. be checking out more of your stuff!!! The Charlie song is great...

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Steven - what a wonderful story and one that restores your faith in human nature.

Listening to the recording of the show in Boston gave me goosebumps - very best of luck with your forthcoming activities and may all your dreams come true.

Jela

stevenbacon

Postby stevenbacon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm

thank you for the kind words!

there is now a link for the boston globe story which ran today (sunday edition oct 19)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... ng_flight/

if you are so inclined, please leave a comment on the globe's webpage, below the story.

all the best!

-steven bacon
www.stevenbacon.com

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Folks,

The latest episode of Austin City Limits includes performances by Nick Lowe and The Swell Season. The program doesn't always air in my area, but you can watch a wonderful video of Glen and Marketa performing "Falling Slowly" with a childrens' choir (make sure to watch this!) and a terrific long interview with the two of them at the link below:

The Swell Season on Austin City Limits

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”