2008 Beijing Olympics

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

2008 Beijing Olympics

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Any other Olympics fans out there? The opening ceremonies are this Friday, Aug. 8. I especially enjoy gymnastics and diving. Oh, for the days of Olga Korbut and Greg Louganis. ;)

Jela, will you be watching the tennis competition? :)

http://en.beijing2008.cn (official website)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics (Wikipedia)

(I can't get the "link" icon to work so that the links open in another window. Sorry.)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: 2008 Beijing Olympics

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:27 pm

I've heard Matt Lauer in the background covering the Olympics host city Beijing and have not had the chance to sit and watch a second of it......dang nabbit. Having spent some time there working mid 80's I'm looking forward to seeing the old and new...... :D

I understand many efforts have been taken to help clear the air! :shock: Here's hoping for all concerned that it worked! :)

I'll be watching...for sure! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Well for most of the Olympics we will be in the US so will watch what we can especially the tennis and the swimming.

A long standing friend of mine (we first met in 1974) has a daughter representing GB in the swimming - Open Water and 800m so we'll definately be rooting for Cassie Patten.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:43 am

I have the best neighbors down here in Marshfield. Just received an email saying "let's get together for a few drinks in honor of the Olympics Opening Ceremony. We were then instructed to be standing outside of our houses at 8:00 with cameras in hand. I can only imagine what my friend, Kathleen, is up to!

:lol:

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 am

MonicaR

Sounds like fun!!! You don't supppose.....no, no way!

I hope they've heard the news that it's only a rumor that STREAKING has returned to the games!!!

:shock:

:lol:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Oh, Paddy, you've got me laughing. I never even thought of that!!! One of the replies was "we don't have to wear spandex, do we?" Which just cracked me up!

I am guessing she's going to run through the neighborhood with a torch.

I'll let ya'll know exactly what transpires!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:19 pm

Sounds like a great neighborhood gathering and will be on the lookout for all the news that's fit to print. :lol:

Say.....I wonder if Ellis and friends could write a new Calendar Man verse for the Olympics.... :shock:

:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:45 am

Wow! Did anyone see the men's swimming relay? OMG! :shock: :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 am

That was sensational! They absolutely smashed the record..pardon the pun, oh French team!

And how about Michael Phelps's mom and sisters in the crowd? Practically brought me to tears watching their excitement for him!
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 am

And Phelps did it again last night! :shock: I love watching the expressions on his mom's face! :D

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”