Essensual Ellis

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Essensual Ellis

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:41 am

From one or two messages that I've received since mentioning that in my mind I refer to the 'Best of' CD as Essensual Ellis I am prompted to start a thread asking you all what do you regard as Essensual Ellis?

It might be a particular song, poem, story, incident, concert, discussion, partnering musician/s, photo or altogether something else - it would be really interesting to know, so look forward to reading your thoughts on this one.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:24 am

Great topic Jela...

Memories linger. I have experienced a few heartbreaks in life, tho I must say it's been awhile. Time heals and all that. My wife and I discovered Ellis the same day, so his songs of relationships that went south were never applied to any current ( at the time ) heartache.

Having said that, Ellis' song Last Call brought back all too familiar feelings. I'm certain most guys could relate to this one.

The time of day painted so well. The aloneness. Where is she? So much is told in so few lyrics. The saving grace is that he decides to end it once and for all. That she will return to an emptier place. He's outta there.

This song helped even years after the fact. So I'll call it Essensual Ellis. Interestingly enough, my wife and I used to discuss this one often for a different reason. Seems Ellis altered the lyrics towards the end when sung live. She absolutely needed to hear the lyrics "could lay my head in the arms of the sofa". When it was sung otherwise, the music critic in her awoke.

This is going to be interesting.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:56 pm

OK....I've given it some thought....and my Essensual Ellis is my first Ellis Paul show. Many of you have probably heard my "how I found Ellis Paul" story (oh, we probably need to re-resurrect that thread!) and know that I first saw Ellis by accident. It was in Seattle when I was there for a conference. Talk about stars aligning! :) Anyway...the thing is....I didn't know what EP looked like. Had never seen him. Had never seen a picture of him. Knew one song from the radio ("Deliver me" - now you know why I'm so happy that it made the cut for the Best of CD!) So, before the show started, as I was sitting there having dinner with 2 friends...somebody sitting next to us....or maybe it was behind us...said "There's Ellis Paul"...and I'm like "Where? Who?" And they pointed to where Ellis was talking to some people in the audience. I mean....he was talking to people in the audience before the show! For some reason that really really really amazed me....and I felt a powerful.....admiration, for lack of a better word. And I was immediately and inexplicably drawn to him. And that was before he sang a note. And in my memory he was wearing a red flannel shirt and a pony tail. (I don't know if that's an accurate memory or not, but it's what I always see in my head!) And then he did sing a note...and I swear after the first 3 notes I was a goner. Remembered almost the entire set list that night from memory....although I didn't write anything down. Had I known! But then....after the show I got to talk to him! I bought a CD ("stories") and waited in a long long line to get an autograph. And he looked at me. ME. Looked right into my eyes and said "Thanks for coming." Asked my name. Wrote "Karen, spread the word, Ellis Paul" on my CD. Honestly....I'm getting goosebumps remembering it. No one has affected me like that before or since. Essensual it was. Essensual it is. Still. And still honoring the mystery of it.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:25 pm

WOW...Karen, that is a great story. Was gettin goosebumps readin it.

Thanks for sharing that again today. I knew this topic would be good. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:38 pm

I love this topic!!
I am going to have to go with 2 categories.

My Essensual Ellis show is the second time I saw him. At this point I owned none of his recording yet found myself singing along and recognising songs just from seeing him once, months earlier. That's when I realised I was a goner. :D

My Essensual Ellis interaction is when I saw him at the Somerville Theatre this past April. After the show he greeted me by name. He had signed just two things for me in the past, so it took me by surprise when he said "Hi Bonnie" :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”