wxpn music fest

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

wxpn music fest

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:19 pm

Wxpn 88.5 fm all about the music festival is Today thru Sunday. If you are thinking about going...info is at their website...www.wxpn.org

Keep in mind the concert is held at Wiggins Park on the Camden, NJ waterfront with the Philadelphia Skyline serving as backdrop.

Saturday's performances to be broadcast live on the radio. Some standouts for me are the following:

Alejandro Escovedo
Antje Duvekot
Amos Lee
Josh Ritter
Citizen Cope
Brandi Carlisle
The Hiders

and hopefully many many surprises...... :wink:

If you happen to see the lineup and can recommend, please do and TIA.

If you're thinking of makin it, let us know if we can be of help 'round philly way.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:34 pm

I saw Brandi open for Train adn she puts on a great show!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:43 pm

Alejandro Escovedo is someone that we don't have any CD's by, have never seen live but everyone we meet who has seen him absolutely raves about him so he is a must see!

We think (?) we saw him in the audience at SXSW this year when we went to the Combo Plate Party but are not 100% certain. He was in London earlier this year with a string quartet but it clashed with other concerts that we had booked so we didn't make those.

Let us know if you do see him and what you think about him.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Jela, thanks for the feedback on AE. We have seen him light up the mucky duck many x's and always a great show. He's something of a chameleon I think switching back and forth tween the acoustic sound and the electric sound. Been awhile since we've seen or heard Alejandro Escovedo. He's back after recovering from a bout with hepatitis C.

Bonnie, we have Brandi Carlyle's one cd and I like it alot. I was surprised to see her competing at New Folk this year. I was surprised to see that the judges passed on her in favor of others. I'm sure it was close. Finally, I was surprised and happy to see her the following week on a late night TV show like Conan.

music I have...like....know...but not seen live...from above list

Josh Ritter
Amos Lee
Brandi Carlise
Citizen Cope

my 2nd date should be a hot one with:

Antje Duvekot - she's listed as playing with Darcie Miner.

I'm pysched to see and hear a band called The Hiders.

I've heard only one song on xpn and they grabbed my attention. The guys are from Cinncinnatti, Ohio and very influenced by old Neil Young.
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Paddy,
Have you seen AE play with a cellist named Matt Fish? I think he tours with him sometimes. I love love love Fish. he used to tour with Matt Nathanson. He can turn that cello into an instrument of rock and roll! 8)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:19 pm

Bonnie, not sure if I've seen Matt Fish or not. His name not ringing bells right now. Have seen Alejandro with a bevy of talented sidemen including a fellow named David - (last name escapes me right now) on violin and harmony vocals. They flat rocked the Mucky Duck a few times onstage and in the audience unplugged. Matt Fish may or may not been part of those shows, but I'm guessing not. I'll keep an eye out for him this weekend. I know Lyle Lovett utilizes a rather gifted celloist who's name also gone for now. Swoonwothy blond guy first name John I think.

Thanks for the tip and I'll get to Matt Nathanson one of these days. When I do I'll be sure to tell him bonuela sent me. 8) :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:58 pm

Jela, short bio from AE myspace site:

"Musically, Alejandro Escovedo is in his own genre," notes David Fricke in Rolling Stone. High words of praise indeed, especially at a time when most popular music is boxed into styles and rife with references, influences and antecedents. Escovedo may possess a miles wide palette of music that he has absorbed and draws from, yet his own sound defies categorization and transcends boundaries. He is also a consummate storyteller who is held in the highest esteem by his peers, one of who describes him as a "poet of the ordinary event."

Escovedo's music can range from full force rock'n'roll to the subtle delicacy heard from a string quartet, sometimes in the same song. Fricke describes him well as "a folk-blues classicist with a gritty, plaintive voice and an equal fondness for dirty boogie and spectral balladry." That approach has distinguished Escovedo as one of contemporary music's truly original and unique artists, earning him consistent critical hosannas. The breadth and depth of his creativity prompted No Depression magazine to name him its Artist of the Decade even before the close of the 1990s.

Hope that helps shed some light for you Jela. He really is something.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:39 am

Paddy - thanks. Will be keeping an eye out for his UK return and/or SXSW next year and hope that we don't wait too long to see him live.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:46 am

Did not make it to wxpn fest yesterday as planned. The event ended early due to heavy T-storms. They packed 700 folks into WCL for Josh Ritter and Steve Wynn and had their sets live on radio.

Sorry to have missed Antje's set but she plays Tin Angel soon enough and that one is a wxpn presents show so maybe tix will go fast. :wink:

Will try and see my old musical friend Alejandro Escovedo later today. There are regular updates over at xpn's discussion group as to lineup changes. Jim James of My Morning Jacket will play solo today. Don't know that music but there has been buzz, right?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:48 am

A wise man once said 75 % of life is showing up. He was right. I got out of dodge this afternoon and made it out to this festival for a day and evening of outstanding music by artists I knew and didn't know, til now.

Highlights were everywhere to be found. I'll touch on a few here:

Jim James alone with guitar and without his Morning Jacket. Amazing! This guy has major stage presence, voice and songs. The crowd loved him. So did I.

Alejandro Escovedo - don't ever pass up a chance to see this man and his fine and tight band. I sacrificed good sound to stand at the railing stage center to catch a better glimpse of an old friend in action. I recommend this viewpoint as well. AE was dressed in BLACK and it was MAGIC. What an artist, what a past, whoa what he's doing these days. It was great to see his seven piece band delight the crowd song after song. Lots of talent on Cello ( not Matt Fish ), Fiddle ( my new crush and the only girl onstage), 2nd acoustic and electric guitar( man that guy can play), bass, keys, and a drummer who has been 20 yrs in the band. Alejandro was in fine form on both electric ( did the Pete Townsend windmill several times ) and acoustic ( took us down old Mexico way with one of those Tex - Mex flavored tunes). He's a rock star waiting to happen.

IV THIEVES - is a delightful hard rocking band out of Liverpool England by way of Austin Texas. These guys had a lotta fun up there and so did we. I saw them hours after their set acting like drunk teens being chaueffered around the grounds in a golf cart.

The Hiders out of Cinncinatti, Ohio were high on my list based on the little I've read about them. I can't say enough about these guys. I liked their sound alot. Lots of comparisons to Neil Young and that a good thing, right? The leader of the band reminds me a bit of Ryan Adams in looks and general stage presence. A girl on harmony and duo vocals made it for me. The guy on pedal steel and electric guitar was incredible. Anyway, they were great and I told them as much after their set. They don't travel all that much and are mostly playing local gigs for now. Too bad.

Amos Lee had his full band with him and he sounded as good as I've ever heard him playing on TV shows. He's pretty swoonworthy and was swarmed with hugs and kisses at the artist meet and greet afterwards. Of course, Amos is a local boy made good and has lots of folks he knows coming by for the xoxoxoxoxoxo. Lucky guy. The CD is chalk full of songs I like alot.

Last and certainly not least was the festival closer. All the way from New Orleans and all those great old hits was Allen Toussant. Am I ever glad I stuck around to see him. He's a legend by now, right? Ala James Brown the band starts playing without him then leads up to the big intro with the " give it up for MR. ALLEN TOUSSSANT. It was an amazing hour plus of music from this old master. I think I stuck around for The City Of New Orleans and all it's been through. Half the place had emptied but the 500 or so crowd was up and dancing most of the way. What a showman.

Oh, also saw Brandi Carlisle and she sounded great up there with her full band. She did a great cover of Halleluhia. Everyone is doing that these days, right? Anyway, xpn must love her cause she had the slot just before Mr. Toussant.

Small World sometimes. I went to merch to buy The HIDERS CD and the guy working the booth happened to be Darci Miner's manager ( Darci shared a co -bill with Antje on Saturday). I got alot of insight on Darci and her new songs now done up with a new band. Turns out this guy also happens to run the website for Miss Patty Griffin. He told me that when Darci has a 3 hour gig in a bar back in Hershey or Harrisburg, Pa. that she covers alot of Patty's earlier stuff circa Living With Ghosts.

Paddyinthepub really and truly was a name Patty Griffin gave me one day in Houston, Tx at a bookstore performance and meet and greet. When It was my turn to have her sign my copy of Living With Ghosts I told her as a boy my dad used to call me paddy. "oh, paddyinthepub!!!" she said. I told her how much I liked her legacyII song I WRITE THE BOOK. I asked if it was going to be in her set later that night. She asked if I would be at the show. Yes, of course we'll be there. She said it was a good song for her to start with because it helped warm up her voice. So, later that evening, At Rockefeller's (in the Heights), Patty Griffin was welcomed to the stage with an enthusiastic round of applause and the next thing I hear is Patty Griffin saying into the microphone: This goes out to Paddyinthepub, and she tore into I WRITE THE BOOK, just for me. My friends were goin nuts and I was flying above the clouds for a week after that intro and song. Of course I caught up with Patty in Pittsburgh at another meet and greet at a bookstore. The new record was out and she did an instore before the show at Rosebud later that night. I presented the CD for her to sign and said to her: Hey Patty, it's me Paddyinthepub.

She looked at me like I was from Outerspace. Alas, the memory was mine to keep. She had lost it. No wonder and no worries. I got this great story to tell my grandchildren someday. And she still has paddyinthepub as a big old fan. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 am

Paddy,

I was at that same bookstore performance! First time I ever saw/heard Patty live! Oct. 20, 1998! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:Of course I caught up with Patty in Pittsburgh at another meet and greet at a bookstore. The new record was out and she did an instore before the show at Rosebud later that night.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:49 am

Karen, omg!

Small world this music community can be sometimes. Funny that the first time I saw/heard Patty live was the instore performance in Houston at a record store called Planet Music. What a store. Not sure they made it.

The Borders North Hills instore was great as was the show later at Rosebud. I hope you made that show as well. Patty and the band were smokin hot. The new album was her second and she signed that one for me as well. Something like, "paddyinthepub, we meet again!"

What a record!!! The red one with Tony and Mary and a bunch of other great ones. We have all Patty's work and saw her last summer at King of Prussia Sunday Nights Under The Stars. She is so great. Played with Doug Lancio.

I'm listening to her musical descendant Darcie Miner right now. Nice!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Hey everybody, wanted to share this with you all from a discussion group member over at radio staion wxpn 88.5 in Philly. It's in the vein of share your memories about the 3 day fest. This one got it started and just really hits home for me what is so great about the art and compassion of musical artists and their devoted fans. Hope you enjoy the piece. :)

Now that the 2006 WXPN All About The Music Festival has come to a close - it's time to share your memories of our annual event! From a steamy Friday night to a soggy Saturday and a sunny Sunday ... there were dozens of musicians each day and thousands of people!

I'll begin: as producer of Kids Corner and responsible for the Camden Children's Garden site that we took over, my memories are based in those 4-acres of flora.

Sunday was simply divine! The weather, music and people! And Saturday wasn't bad until about 4pm ... we had a morning shower - but as predicted the sun popped out and heated things up - setting the stage for severe storms ...

Those there all have a story as to where they were when the rains came - the one thing I think is cool is that in the midst of the storm - when winds are howling and thousands of gallons of rain are falling down ... the Kids Corner stage continued!

Here's the back story: those there know that the Kids Corner stage was an open air stage ... any bit of rain and we had to consider options. We had a collapsible tent set up on stage center and the audience sat under four large umbrellas installed around the bench seating.

Once the storm blew in - they were trapped underneath and watched as we ran equipment into a tarped area back by the mixing board ... all the while manually holding onto the tent so it wouldn't blow away (it wasn't weighted down at all) ... once we had done the best we could do with the instruments and equipment ... there we were .... a couple band members of Steve Pullara and his Cool Beans Band and myself - sopping wet holding onto a tent for dear life as 20+ soaking wet people, kids and adults, were huddled under the big umbrellas and ponchos ... everyone waiting for the monsoon to end.

Then - as a clap of thunder kicks and shakes everyone up - one musician runs from tent to backstage tarp and comes back out with his saxaphone and proceeds to jam for everyone ... Singin in the Rain, Row Row Row Your Boat, Over The Rainbow ... it was magical!!

As wet as we all were (and a bit frightened, quite frankly) we all stopped for a moment, as Mother Nature let loose - - and just enjoyed the music.

After all, that IS what it's All About!!

On behalf of both Kathy and myself, we want to thank everyone who took time to step away from all the fun and music on the main grounds and enter the Garden ... those that did found out just how much of an oasis it really is!!

So - there's my memory ... now it's time to share yours!
paddy

Return to “Say Something”