Article on the effect of gas prices on Indie bands

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

shari

Article on the effect of gas prices on Indie bands

Postby shari » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:18 am

Hi All,

I found this article on cnn about how gas prices are affecting independant musicians and thought you all might be interested.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html

I hope that everyone is well!

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 am

Shari,

Thanks for posting the link. If the gas prices are starting to affect me, I can imagine what a huge impact it must be having on folks who travel long distances to make a living. No easy solution that's for sure. :(

We need alternate forms of energy....and we need them NOW! :x

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

shari

Postby shari » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi Karen,

And on the topic of causing changes that we need NOW. Here is a link to one of my favorite new websites. I am *so* encouraged to find this out there - people on their own steam working to understand and to change the world for the better from many different perspectives in a completely tolerant and interdisciplinary atmosphere - it makes me very hopeful for the world.

Watch some of the videos. I find them affecting, amazing and inspiring.

www.ted.com

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Shari,

I agree! I watched Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor's (My Stroke of Insight) video on the ted.com website several week's ago. WOW.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm

There's a major celebrity spokesperson, Jamie Lee Curtis I think, that's going to be driving a car that runs on H2O. Can you imagine someday being able to fill up with a garden hose? :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:02 am

Paddy,

I'm not sure about Jamie Lee Curtis, but here's a youtube video about a water powered car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jivb7lupDNU

I had to blink twice to believe it!

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:03 am

Karen,

I *LOVED* that video!

8)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:10 am

Shari,

I found out about Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor via Oprah and her Soul Series which is on her (Oprah's) website. Dr. Taylor did a 2 or 3 part interview with Oprah where she went into even more detail about her "stroke of insight". :)

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Karen,

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 am

OK Paddy... it's not water, but here's one for you?!?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflif ... index.html

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:24 pm

At the other end of the spectrum I know of a few venues here in the UK that are currently struggling to get audiences for the shows that they put on - some of them are reducing ticket prices to try and attract numbers. Last night the regular House Concert venue we attend had the lowest audience, about 20 rather than the usual 30/33.

I think that it is a combination of rising fuel prices (petrol here is over $10 a gallon) and rising food prices, which means that many people are having to make some hard choices in terms of any discretionary spend.

Jela

Return to “Say Something”