Alison Krauss/Robert Plant "Raising Sand"

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Alison Krauss/Robert Plant "Raising Sand"

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:29 am

Folks,

You can't open a newspaper or music magazine without reading rave reviews about the new (Oct. 23) Alison Krauss/Robert Plant collaboration Raising Sand, produced by T Bone Burnett. It debuted at #2 on the Billboard chart, selling 112,000 copies the first week.

Amazingly, you can listen to it in its entirety on the Rounder website HERE . I'm listening now....it's wonderful.

MonicaM, you'll have to listen and let us know what you think. I know Robert Plant is one of your heroes. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:58 pm

Huge fan of Alison Krauss, here. Once just missed seeing her play the local Steak and Ale in Houston when she was starting out. She was all of 18 when I first heard her wonderful sound. Amazing what she's released since that first record..seems everthing she touches is GOLD.

John Waite recently recut his mega hit song "I Ain't Missin You" with Alison.

She's just got one of those voices.....and truth of it is, she grew up listening to harder edged music than she's known for today. Such a sweetheart, and all the attention is SO well deserved. :D

Been listening to this for the last 30 minutes or so....very nice sound, nice pairing of artists...and of course...T-Bone at the helm.... 8)

Thanks for the heads up and link to this musical treat, Karen.

You rock!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 am

I was channel surfing the other night and landed on Charlie Rose as he was winding down his interview with Alison Krauss, Robert Plant, and T -Bone Burnett. The short few minutes I saw was amazing.... 8) I'll look to see if there's an encore airing of this one, for sure!!!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:04 pm

This record was another Christmas gift I took for a test spin y'day. I remember reading somewhere that Alison was something of a "closet rocker" at heart. She went on to name a few of the bands she enjoyed the most -- all hard rock acts, that quite frankly I'd never listen to. She told of how she and her brother, as kids, would crank the volume to bands like AC/DC.... :shock: needless to say i was surprised that someone like her would even begin to get into music like that.

She must have been pinching herself with the opportunity to record an album with Led Zeppelin's frontman Robert Plant.

It sounds really nice. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:07 pm

start your tivos:

CMT Crossroads w/ Alison Krauss and Robert Plant airs Feb.11 at 1pm and 8pm.

here's a link to the showtimes all week.

note there's an encore showing of bon jovi and sugarland....... :D

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossr ... imes.jhtml
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Last night we went to see Robert Plant and Alison Krauss in London. They played Wembley Arena which has a capacity of about 7/8000 and it was almost sold out.

As we don't ordinarily like going to huge arenas we hadn't booked that much in advance but when thru' seeing them on TV recently we realised that Buddy Miller (hero status in this household) was in the band we got ourselves some tickets and boy was it a brilliant show. They played tracks from 'Raising Sand' including my favourite 'Killing the Blues' as well as some Led Zep songs and I guess some Alison Krauss songs - I really like her but I'm not hugely familiar with her material. T-Bone Burnett who was also in the band played two songs.

The sound system was very, very good (it usually isn't at Wembley) and the band, which in addition to the two mentioned included Dennis Crouch on bass and Jay Bellerose (drums) who play on the CD and also Stuart Duncan (I'm reliably informed that he's one of the top session musicians in Nashville) were 'on fire'. They were just awesome!

I just love 'Raising Sand' and I hope that it introduces a bigger audience to the type of music they feature on the CD. Interestingly, during the show Robert Plant mentioned that he'd only discovered Townes Van Zandt when T-Bone presented him with the potential song selections for the CD. I found myself thinking this 'rock God' has got to get himself to Austin TX. and find out more about American music.

I think that the Plant/Krauss show is going to be touring the US as well and without a doubt they are well worth seeing - it would be fantastic to see them in a small arena (but that isn't going to happen). We're so glad we went. It was a great evening.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Jela

Thanks for the report from England. Have to say Buddy Miller ranks pretty high around here, too. 8) And while I'm sure Townes Van Zandt, while he was alive, knew who Robert Plant was, I guess ya just never know. :lol:

I've long been a fan of Alison Krauss and hope to someday see her on tour and this one looks as good as any to try and catch her on. I did see Robert Plant way back in 1975 when he was with some outfit named after a blimp...oh what was that band's name? :lol:
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 pm

LOL paddy! We're taking in the Raising Sand show next month. Haven't seen Alison in a couple of years and sadly, have never seen Robert Plant so very much looking forward to it. Will share my thoughts afterwards. :)
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Mtn Gal

Thanks! :)

Look forward to your report from the Alison Krauss/Robert Plant show.
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 am

Well, we took in the Raising Sand concert on Saturday evening and it was interesting, for sure. The music itself was wonderful, a great compilation by T-Bone who himself was extraordinary and fun to watch. In addition to several cuts off their album, they each performed some of their own songs. Alison gave an outstanding performance of "Down to River to Pray" and together, they did a few Led Zep songs. "Black Dog" and "When the Levee Breaks" brought the house down. My favorite song of the night though was "Trampled Rose" which Alison sang flawlessly and with the ease and beauty of a songbird. They played 3 songs for their encore and performed for close to 2 hours.

My only criticism was the lack of connection I felt between them onstage. Perhaps their lack of interaction, other than that of their beautiful melodies, was the act but it left me feeling like something was missing. Alison is not much of an effervescent performer anyway and Robert looked like he wanted to break loose on several occasions but seemed to reel himself in. Perhaps those were the nuances that made this a great concert experience but not one that totally blew me away, which is what I was expecting having seen Alison before. She was definitely more comfortable on stage when I saw her with Union Station but that could also be her greater comfort zone. At any rate, we enjoyed the music tremendously and if the tour comes thru your area, I do recommend you catch it!

Here are some pix that I took with my camera that is on its last leg.
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... _=84435247
Last edited by Mtn Gal on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

mm

Postby mm » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Thank you so much for this post review and the fantastic photos. I would have LOVED to have seen them when they were in the area, but I couldn't get off of work. I am a monster Zep/Robert fan and one of my closest friends actually worked with Robert on a music project for 3 days just as the Raising Sand album was being cut, so he got to hear some tracks prematurely. It sounds like an interesting dynamic there and leaves me wondering!
Like how did she stand and sing comfortably in those shoes, for instance?
Thank you!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:05 am

One of the things I noticed when they performed in London (and I think its true to say that most of the audience were there because of Robert Plant) is that he was very gracious in letting other people take the spotlight when the focus was on them.....whether it be Alison, T-Bone, Buddy or any other band member.

Given how big a star he is and how revered he is I thought that it showed a man without a big ego........I thought it wonderful to see him stepping to the back of the stage, quite unobtrusively, and not hogging the limelight at all. He seemed like a very unassuming guy.

MtnGal - thanks for the report and photos. Alison wore thigh-high boots when we saw her which were almost as high as those shoes!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:36 am

Mtn Gal,

Wow, thanks for such a thoughtful report....and the pix are great. MonicaM, I suspect Alison wasn't singing "these shoes are made for walking". ;) That's how she did it! She only had to stand in them! :) And Robert Plant is pretty darn good-looking for al older fella. On top of that he's a Bob Childers look-a-like (definitely the hair) :) ....so it's easy for me to like him simply for that reason. :)

I am still loving the Raising Sand CD.....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:21 am

Mtn Gal

Loved that post! :D
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”