(movie) Young at Heart (senior rockers!)

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

(movie) Young at Heart (senior rockers!)

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 am

Folks,

Lots in the news lately about the movie just out Young at Heart, a musical documentary about the 80-somethings who make up the Young at Heart chorus out of Northampton, MA. NPR's David Dye recently interviewed Stephen Walker (director of Young@Heart), as well as chorus director Bob Cilman and members of the group for The World Cafe. Check out those videos and many others on YouTube. The chorus performs songs of Coldplay, Dylan, the Stones, Sonic Youth, and more.

Young at Heart movie trailer

Young at Heart perform "Stayin' Alive" and "I Will Survive"

Yougn at Heart perform "Forever Young" for prison inmates. Wow.

Check you local movie listings to see where the movie is playing in your area.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 am

I had read about them in the paper on Saturday and watched some of the videos yesterday. I love it. Am dying to see the movie!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 am

It's impossible not to smile while watching these videos! :) (Although I did get teary-eyed watching the "Forever Young video.)

Young at Heart performing Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia"

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Too cute and funny, thanks for sharing...Love them doing the Ramones song.. I Want to be Sedated... If I ever have to be put in a nursing home, I want it to be just like that!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Saw the documentary - which is playing at limited theaters around here - last evening. It was wonderful - really heartwarming....and now I know for SURE that I'll still want to be doing this when I'm 80+. :)

Go see it if it comes to your neck of the woods or rent the DVD! :)

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:23 am

Karen,

I had not seen this posting before... but I did see this movie last weekend and it is *fabulous*. I don't think it is possible to say enough good words about it.

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:45 am

Shari,

So glad someone else saw the movie! :)

I just watched the Forever Young video that I posted above....I challenge you all to watch it and not get teary-eyed! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 am

Folks,

Here's a couple more links:

http://umassmag.com/2006/fall06/Time_Warp.html (article in UMass Amherst Newsletter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHh_0ecs4-o (video interview with Bob Cilman, director of the chorus)

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”