(movie) "Once"

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 19, 2008 11:40 am

Annie

The show was divine....and it's not lost on me that these two artists met cute less than a year ago. After the show Saturday night Laura was reminiscing about being in the green room at the Media Theatre and she sees Bill and initially thinks to herself "Oh great....who's this guy in the green room?" :roll:

She said she freaked a little more when he asked her if she would sing something with him later leading her to think "what, I don't know this guy and I don't know his songs, and he's asking me to sing with him?" :roll:

I was there that night and they absolutely nailed a duet cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." The rest as they say is history. :) Laura now travels to Pittsburgh to sing bgvox with the band and they've shared the stage as a duet a handful of times. Bill informed the crowd of how they met and how they became like instant Best Friends Forever...... 8)

Having seen a few now, Saturday night's was easily the best of the bunch. :D She's got the piano parts to his songs down and her backing vocals fit Bill's songs perfectly. A real sight to see...and for some strange reason I want to compare her playfullness with Bill onstage to the likes of Sonny and Cher.....to say, she keeps him on his toes. :D Bill covers Van Morrison's Sweet Thing and towards the end he sings what ever comes to mind and counts on someone to echo the line. Like the mimic game kids play only more musical resulting in an echo vocal (like Van Morrison used to do with Brian Kennedy) 8)

Only this time.....Bill sings: I've never been this happy.
Laura should repeat the line: I've never been this happy.

No....not Laura Shay. Instead...she sings back:

Why are you so happy, Bill? :D

"I don't know why I'm so happy" He sings back.

The answer is right there onstage for all to see. :wink:

Sorry to go on and on......it was moving to watch. 8)

Plus, I couldn't help thinking of Glen Hansard and Marketa Iglova's amazing chemistry in this wonderful story of two artists meeting cute while listening to Bill and Laura covering their hit song from the movie.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 pm

'meeting cute' - I love that turn of phrase, never heard it before.

Lovely story Paddy and I can only imagine how spine tingling it must have been to hear 'Falling Slowly' as you describe it so movingly.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Falling Slowly
By Glen Hansard and Marketa Iglova

I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now

We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along

:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Folks,

Had company for the weekend and watched the movie with two different friends both Thursday night AND Friday night.....and enjoyed it as much, if not more, each time! :shock:

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova will be here in September. I hope to be there. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Only saw Once once.....would love to see it again! Going to keep an eye on the tour dates for these two. I think they perform under the name:

The Swell Season

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Paddy,

If you have Comcast cable you can watch it On Demand as many times as you want in a 24-hour period for $3.99 :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”