(movie) "Once"

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

john1977

(movie) "Once"

Postby john1977 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:34 am

Hey all,

I just wanted to tell everyone about this amazing new movie that i saw today called "Once". It's a "musical" and a charming one at that. Glen Hansard, the amazing singer/songwriter/guitaraist from the Irish rock band The Frames plays a street musician who meets a young Czech woman and the two create some incredible musical moments while dealing with the emotional complexities of their lives. I highly recommend this film to music and movie lovers...

you can read more about it and hear some tunes from it at:

http://www.onceinalifetimereviews.com/

Hope all is well...

John

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Folks,

Watched the movie this evening - it recently became available on DVD and On Demand. I'm surprised it hasn't prompted more discussion and/or comments here. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was totally wrapped up in the story of the two aspiring singer-songwriters. Had to find out more about it and, as usual, Wikipedia was a terrific source of information and lists lots of accolades for the movie. I noticed that it was released here in the States last May 22 - the date that the Ellis Paul Wikipedia article appeared on the Wikipedia Main Page! :)

Once, the movie (Wikipedia)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Beyond the high praise I'm reading about this film everywhere --I've seen the stars perform on Letterman -- and heard one of the songs from the soundtrack on wxpn radio in Philly. The Letterman performance left me thinking I could easily wait til this film came out on cable. The song on the radio left me thinking I need to get the soundtrack -- and see the movie, a.s.a.p.

Thanks for giving this thread a much needed bump, Karen. :) And thanks for the wikipedia link, too, where it's said this film was shot for $160,000 dollars. That's an amazing feat these days. Hail, hail the indie filmakers.

On another note, reading about Grafton Street in the wikipedia piece on the movie reminded me of a new song Flynn has out and when he performs it in concert he sets the scene for the audience by talking about a few of the characters he encountered on Grafton street in Dublin. :)

Can hardly wait to see it now and look forward to all comments.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Paddy,

Several of the songs were familiar to me so I guess I've heard stuff from the soundtrack on the radio without realizing it....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Glen Hansard is really new to me. I might have seen the name of his band The Flames around but little more than that. I really enjoyed reading the film's setup, in the wikipedia piece, how the story starts out with the two meeting while he is busking on the streets of Dublin.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:22 am

This sounds like a great movie, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Sounds like something my teenager would love but on a quick look I didn't see a rating, is it PG 13 or R? Thanks.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:49 am

Still haven't found the rating but I did find this. Knowing that you love the Chipmunks, Paddy, I thought you would enjoy this!!,

Alvin the Chipmunk Sings ONCE's Falling Slowly

Alvin of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" fame sings the song "Falling Slowly" from the movie ONCE (now on DVD).

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 am

I looked for it -- and found it -- On Demand...last night.

SInce the hour was late I didn't watch it -- just nice to know it's there.

I didn't notice the rating, Patti -- but if Ihad to venture a guess I'd say the film is in the key of PG.

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:47 am

There was a good bit of dialogue containing the "f" word. Interestingly enough, we are not told the names of the two lead characters. In the credits they are listed as "guy" and "girl".

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:02 pm

I had never even heard of this movie. Just checked it out on YouTube and I am definitely watching it this weekend. Maybe it will ease the pain of not being able to see Ellis tonight!

I watched the video of Falling Slowly and "guy" reminds me so much of Flynn ... mannerism-wise. Anyone else???

Thanks for the tip about this movie!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Here's a link to the YouTube "Falling Slowly" video taken from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEB53-Q ... re=related

And here's "Lies", (MonicaR, this one is like listening to Flynn and Antje.) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg0zRzoH ... re=related

I keep editing this post! Here's "when your mind's made up" (when, in the movie, they're in the recording studio recording the song.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oyQPGJ5 ... re=related

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:44 pm

Karen...........keep 'em coming!!! :D

In the youtube for "Falling Slowly"

Glen Hansard's voice reminds me of two different singers.....

On the verses..........old Cat Stevens.

On the chorus......another Irish singer, Damien Rice.

I'm editing, too!!! I see the Flynn/Antje vibe watching "Lies" and for some reason I feel the need to get over to Ireland and ride a motorcycle along the coastline. :D
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:19 pm

I can not believe I never saw this thread. :( I liked Once so much, I saw it twice. :P

As a matter of fact my guy **might** have seen it 13 times in the theater. :D He is a huge fan of Glen/The Frames and was even at the Boston premier of the movie. Hey, it made buying a Christmas gift very easy. DVD came out just a few days before. 8)

My favorite song is "Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy" and my favorite part of the movie is when they are walking around Grafton St and she is trailing her Hoover behind her like a puppy.

While there is use of the "f" word, I think all of the other content is appropriate for teens. It is quite a wholesome movie.

I suggest that any music lover watches this movie as soon as possible.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Saw this movie at the cinema a couple of months ago, thought it was quite charming. I really liked the music, Glen Hansard's voice is wonderful and loved the story end - I won't spoil it for anyone whose yet to see it so I won't say anymore.

Have been to Dublin three times and the setting was familiar - Grafton Street is the main street in Dublin and has great shops (for all you shoppers!) but such a lot of character too. There is a great coffee shop called Bewleys where we went for breakfast and if ever we go out for an early morning drink (coffee/tea) we call it 'doing a Bewleys'

Must get back to Dublin soon! The music scene is pretty good too!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Bonnie,

I was thinking your guy may have liked it just a little bit. :)

Yes! The scenes where she is dragging the Hoover along like it's an everyday occurrence were really funny! :D

Jela, I'm officially adopting "doing a Bewleys" from this point on. ;)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 am

I did rent this movie this weekend and also enjoyed it, as did my daughter. I knew she would :) As soon as it was over she got on Itunes and bought a few of the songs!! Falling Slowly has been stuck in my head all weekend, and it reminds me of early Dan Fogelberg!!

I happen to catch part of At The Movies with Ebert and Roeper last night and one of them had ONCE in their top ten of 2007, and the other one had Into The Wild!!! You can see their top ten list at
www.atthemoviestv.com

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:10 am

Here's what blogger Jeff Pinzino had to say in his "casual listening music blog" about the movie and songs. And if his name sounds familiar, there's good reason. KarenZ just provided a link to his review of Ellis Paul's new record, The Dragonfly Races. He loved it!!! :D

Here's his thoughts on Once, the movie...and the songs:

I heard the music before I saw the movie, and on first listen, I wasn’t particularly affected by it. Fragile, heart-on-your-sleeve songwriting with meticulous harmonies and lyrics that could refer to anything or nothing – a decent listen, no more, no less.

Then I saw the movie. Now I can’t stop singing these songs.

Once is a magically beautiful film. The love that comes from communicating musically with someone comes through palpably. It’s also refreshingly free of Hollywood embellishment – you’re left with a story that is what it is. I still think the same set of songs could have been written for any number of movies, but the fact that they lived in this one means that I’ll always well up with joy whenever I hear them.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:02 am

"Falling Slowly" won an Academy Award last night! Did you guys see Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova perform the song during the show? And they were both so ecstatic after winning! It was a great moment! :D

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 am

Didn't see it (coverage of the Oscars doesn't start until 1.00am here due to time differences between UK and LA and its on a satellite channel which we don't have) but I've just been listening on BBC Radio to a review of the Oscars by the film critic Mark Kermode (he's brilliant) and he said that his favourite moment of the ceremony was this award and how Jon Stewart called her back after the commercial break so that she could give an acceptance speech as well.

Great for the low budget, word of mouth film.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 am

Jela,

Yes, it was a nice touch - one that I don't remember ever seeing before. It's annoying how winners are often cut-off in mid-sentence, but she didn't even get to say a word before being cut-off. Then, even funnier was after Jon Stewart brought her back out (after a commercial break!), he commented that the two were winners were backstage with their Oscars and that Glen wanted the two statues to kiss. Margeta supposedly replied "But they're both guys!" to which Glen retorted "This is Hollywood!" :D

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:31 am

I love YouTube! :D

Here's their performance from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJobVC7uR4

And their acceptance speeches (including Jon Stewart's telling about the funny backstage moment):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5ybN3eh-A

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:58 am

Were these two ever surprised..... :shock: I just loved the sheer surprise in the person of winner Glen Hansard. Like, what are we doing up here, we made this movie in 3 weeks time on 2 handycams breaking all the rules and filming without a permit. His parting words: make art...make art must have been so inspiring to other artists everywhere. To me, he was essentially letting them know that you just never know when the stars might align and your art will be appreciated on a larger scale.

The classiest thing I've ever seen at the Oscars, or any other Award show for that matter, was righting a wrong and allowing Margeta to return after a commercial break to give her acceptance speech. It was one of the best all night, too, as you can see in the youtube. (I love youtube, too!!!)

Coincidence? You be the judge!!! Fellow Irishman and actor Colin Farrell walked out to introduce Glen Hansard and Margeta Irglova's performance of their Oscar nominated song "Falling Slowly" and nearly fell himself from a slick spot on the stage. Unhappy with the first take "slip" Colin turned around and did it again. Brilliant..he also made quick mention that "someone should look into this."
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 am

My son came running downstairs to tell me they were performing Falling Slowly, which was beautiful.

I was so happy they won.

Very classy move bringing Marketa back out to give her thanks. I didn't realize she's only 19!!!!!!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:21 am

Great clips - what a wonderful achievement.

I know that many of us on this db go to watch live music and so many of the musicians I see do struggle to make a living from their art; if this Oscar award does nothing else it will give hope to those who 'dare to dream' and who go out on the road night after night, travelling relentlessly, sleeping on floors or in the back of the van so that their voices can be heard and enjoyed by the likes of me/us.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 am

Folks,

Towards the end of Marketa's acceptance speech, the camera pans the audience to a female sitting there who is obviously very happy for them. Who is she??? I keep thinking that I really like her, whomever she is! I swear I just saw her in something, but I can't think where or what....

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:38 am

We love her...the actress Laura Linney. :D

Really quite a shot, watching the youtube again.......

The camera goes to Laura and seated behind her, Viggo Mortensen and behind him, John Travolta. 8)
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 am

Viggo Mortensen in Karen's words = swoonworthy!!!!!!! :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:48 am

Again...what a classy move to have Marketa come back out to give her acceptance speech. I don't know who was responsible for righting that wrong...John Travolta, maybe, he had announced the award and escorted them offstage after Glen's words and the music kicked up. Bravo big time to whoever it was that realized the oversight. I was just listening again to the youtube and John Stewart telling her to "enjoy her moment" and then that heartfelt speech. :D It was actually Marketa's words that shed light on musicians everywhere who are struggling to make it and how this could serve as proof that they can hold on to hope...for at the end of the day...that's what we have left.

Loved it...and to think it almost never took place. 8)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks, Paddy. Now I have to figure out what I saw her in recently....

Karenz

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 am

Oh, I know...I'm drawing a big blank, too!!!

There was a big one lately.....hmmmn. :?

lemme know what you come up with.... :wink:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Laura Linney was up for an award last night in Savages I believe. She also was Sean Penn's wife in Mystic River, which I happen to see a little bit of just recently. And something that strikes me funny when movies take place in Boston, such as Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, Departed, etc. is the accent that the actors use. I've been told I have a strong Boston accent but I don't think I sound like that at all!!

I posted about the win for Falling Slowly under The Oscars.. I think I need to move it Once..... basically I thanked the DB for bringing this movie to my attention!!
Last edited by Patti on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Patti,

If you think you have it bad, try being from Texas!!! :shock:

We have accents, some of us do anyway, no doubt!!!

But the hollywood portrayals often have me saying:

No way...we sound like that!!! :shock:

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Patti,

No worries. Folks can post other stuff about the Oscars in the Oscars thread that you started. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Patti....you saved me!!!

Laura Linney as Sean Penn's wife in Mystic River..... :wink:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:21 pm

KarenZ wrote:No worries. Folks can post other stuff about the Oscars in the Oscars thread that you started.

If I hadn't stayed up late or if I had drank my coffee first I would have been able to post the names, which I knew but couldn't recall, and made more sense. Next time I post in the morning I'm 'doing a Bewleys' first!!

PS Love the Irish accent, seems there is no "TH" sound..as in tanks, tanks alot!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:06 pm

You guys are cracking me up again! Here we are in the states "doing a Bewley's" (thanks to Jela).....and Jela's across the pond saying "Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy". Too funny! :D

Patty, I'm gonna fix the quote. To quote someone (typing the words yourself), when you're in the text box click on the tool bar above where it says "Quote", then type the words you want to quote, then click on the too bar "Quote" again - (to let the software know that you're done.) To quote someone without typing the words yourself, instead of hitting "Reply", hit "Quote" (at that point you're not in the text box yet.)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 pm

They are the only reason I watched the Oscars. Did you see Colin Farrell get all choked up when he introduced them? I can't believe they let her come back onstage to give her speech. It was so great to see.

I was clapping and cheering for them when they won. Even though I was alone at the time. :oops:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Bonnie,

I was whooping it up alone too. :)

Yep, the whole "Falling Slowly" presentation/award/acceptance speech1/acceptance speech2 was THE highlight of the show :!:

:)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm

OMG. I can hardly type through the tears.....I thought I had found a video from this morning's Today Show, but turns out this video is from a December 2007 Today Show broadcast. A wonderfully inspiring story about the power of love, music, and the Internet! Wow.

Glen Hansard feature on the Today Show

BTW....the YouTube acceptance speeches have been viewed 142,000+ times; the performance 37,000+ times. And I'm certain there are probably duplicate videos other than the two that I linked. :shock:

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Karen,

Fantastic piece on the power, and gift, of music.

What a wonderful story of a woman who thought best to give Glen Hansard something she felt he could use. That it was a gift from one music person to another, all the more special. That the gifted guitar might someday continue giving the gift of music, all the more precious. 8)

I was fighting back the tears as well when she spoke of her late husband and the reason he was no longer alive. Rings too familiar a bell as it was the same dreaded cancer that took my father's life almost five years ago.

Bless her heart, and Glen's too for following up, and taking her up on her kindest of offers. Can't help but think that her husband is smiling down on the whole thing...and wondering:

Has she seen Willie Nelson's guitar, lately?

:wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:52 am

Wowzah! Glad I had tissues nearby!

Karen, did you hear Falling Slowly on WUMB this a.m.????

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:01 am

Monica, no I didn't hear it. I just got into my office and connected to WUMB a minute ago. :(

You know....I purposefully tuned into a couple of those entertaiment news shows on Tuesday night to watch the day-after coverage of the Oscars.....and there wasn't one mention of Glen and Marketa, nor were they interviewed or shown before or after the ceremony (like most of the others were). I guess they weren't glamorous enough.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:00 pm

They're running national ads on tv for the sountrack to the movie... 8)

Hooray for the little guys...and as Glen Hansard said on Oscar night:

"make art, make art" :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 am

artists den will release The Swell Season.

It's Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

http://www.theartistsden.com/videos/swellseason/

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 am

Well I finally saw Once...and now I want to see it TWICE!!! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:45 am

paddyinthepub wrote:artists den will release The Swell Season.

It's Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

http://www.theartistsden.com/videos/swellseason/

8)

Not to repeat myself.... :lol:

The DVD is out today...and reasonably priced thru the Artist Den. :wink:

http://www.theartistsden.com/store/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 am

A little birdy told me to watch Good Morning America this morning to see Glen and Marketa perform. Just passin it along..... :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Need to remember to confirm my sources before posting. :oops:
My wife called to say they'd be on today...was not the case. :? I'll get right to the bottom of this and report back when I know what's what. :wink: Okay...update!!! They will play Jimmy Kimmel later this week.

They played GMA recently....missed it....here it is:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex ... affil=wmar
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun May 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Let it be known...... :D

That at the end of Laura Shay's opening set last night at Steel City Coffee House in Phoenixville, Pa. she called headliner and friend Bill Deasy up onstage to sing with her. There was magic in the air as she introduced Bill and the first song they would sing together. She said it was a new one that will appear on her next record and Bill graciously added vocals to the track. With Bill and Laura on acoustic guitars and a Grateful Dead song vibe to the tune, it was wonderful.

Then it happened! :shock:

For the second song, with Bill looking more than a little concerned, listened as Laura told the crowd that it took some serious arm twisting to get Bill to try this next one. Bill, focused and as poker faced as I've ever seen him then started playing the opening chords to a song the crowd seemed to know all too well.

Thunderous applause broke out as we realized what was happening. Just exactly what Laura had convinced Bill was a song he had to hear many moons ago and one they had to sing together someday.

She was right! We were treated to a stirring version of Falling Slowly. Unbelieveable! The sort of thing a music fan like me lives for. :) I'll report more about the show later in another thread, but wanted to mention this here in it's rightful place.

Nearly an hour and a half later, as Bill ended his amazing set with Laura Shay accompanying the whole way on piano and vocals, Bill spoke of his appreciation for the venue. How he felt really safe playing there. And then, to punctuate the thought Bill broke spontaneously and head long into the chorus of this great song.......the audience filled with something between laughter and joy at the bravery and beauty of it all.

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Ahh.....make art......make art. 8)

After the show, Laura talked a little about how she brought Bill into the realm of this great movie and song. She said it was a movie he needed to see and that it would change his life. How they'd stay in touch via email about it. Bill's obvious excitement seeing the song win the Oscar. :D She relayed Bill's apprehension at singing the song because of the falsetto part.

He made the right choice! I'm guessing this wonderful song will get covered alot and by many. None quite like last night's out on the outskirts of Philadelphia. 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sun May 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Paddy,

I got goosebumps reading your post.

That show sounds absolutely divine!!!

So glad you and Pam had fun!! Can't wait to hear the rest....

Annie :)

Return to “Say Something”