Idea: database of similar artists

Discuss ways to get the word out!
paddyinthepub

Idea: database of similar artists

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Wonder if this idea is worth considering .........it occurs to me that a new idea may drop out of the sky at a moment's notice. An idea that might be similar to others touched upon...but just different enough. This thread could be a place to drop NEW or Outside The Box ideas.

Time will tell of course......

Here's the idea that prompted this post:

Let me start by saying I could be completely alone in my thinking here that this might be a helpful way to SPREAD THE WORD. I am simply suggesting it might work in some small way. Someday.

Here's the idea.

A thread here on the forum that is essentially a database of singer songwriters that fans of Ellis Paul also like with links to Amazon or CDBABY or CDFREEDOM or artist's websites. Similar to ELLIS RECOMMENDS..only it's along the lines of what Amazon.com does:

Customers who enjoy "this artist" ....... Also enjoy "these artists"

I am always interested to see what else folks like when checking out a CD on Amazon. Why not take it a step further.....here on this forum"

Ellis Paul fans also enjoy these artists: Place Database Here

Would it work??? I'm not sure.

It's just that folks new to our forum would be sure of one thing...that fans of Ellis Paul are fans of music...good music....here's proof.

So, if a die hard fan of "insert artist name here" is surfing Ellis' website and browsing his forum, I think seeing a few of their musical "heroes" listed as favorites by Ellis Paul Fans could go a long way to convincing them we know what we're doing when it comes to good music.

The database would list the artists...link to AMAZON, etc. with a proceed of the sale coming back to Ellis.

Just a goofy idea that came down the pike today........ :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:48 pm

Of course that's a great idea Paddy. We already have an entire section dedicated to that. The "Looking For My Friends" section.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:14 pm

"Looking For My Friends" works really well.

This was more of a compiled list with all the links a click away.

It would be without a doubt a labor intensive undertaking, given all the music Ellis's fans also enjoy. I still don't know if it makes sense to generate such a list....but it could go a long way to telling fans of many artists that they have something in common with fans of Ellis. In the long run, more inclusive than exclusive, when those folks drop by the site.

For instance, if they have never heard of any of the artists listed in the "Looking For My Friends" thread.....and also see that noone has started a topic on "Jackson Browne" for example.....they might assume we are just fans of a genre......FOLK..for example. In my idea, the list tells them in A to Z fashion who else we enjoy.....thus givin them more reason to believe us when we say of all these folks we love.....Ellis is at the top of that list.

That to me could be important at the exact time a new visitor comes out here...rather than them forming any conclusions that are likely not accurate about Ellis' fanbase.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Karen, Ellis, and all forum members:

I just re read this post from the original "Spread The News" topic and I want to apologize for this "new idea" thread as clearly it's been said:

QUOTE:

KarenZ wrote:

Paddy,

I know Ellis has some ideas....so for now, let's hold off on ideas we may have until we hear what he has rolling around in his head.

KarenZ

I simply forgot...... :oops:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:41 pm

Paddy,

I made that statement because, as I recall, someone had posted an idea in the new forum before Ellis had a chance to post his ideas.....and I wanted us to wait until he had. Since Ellis *has* posted his ideas since then, there's no need to apologize for posting a new idea.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Spread the News”