Record Stores

Discuss ways to get the word out!
JayceK

Record Stores

Postby JayceK » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:55 pm

Just a moment ago (seriously, 5 minutes ago) I stopped by a local music and movie rental store here in Edmond called Randy's M&M's and as I was strolling through the store something catches my eye. "What?" I say to myself. "Are my eyes decieving me? :shock: Is that the Ellis Paul Essentials?!" Keep in mind I've bought most my music from this store for the last six years and never have I seen them carry an Ellis Paul CD, but there it was. Not only that but it was hooked up to the headphones so all you had to do was press "Disk 3" and instantly be listening to the Ellis Paul. I'm in shock.. I don't know how it happened but it did. Randy's has 3 Edmond locations so I'm thinking of checking out the others to see if it's the same story, if not I'm gonna have to make a recommendation to the store manager. So anyway I just wanted to share my excitement that it IS actually possible to buy an Ellis Paul CD at retail store in the Edmond/OKC area. :D
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Record Stores

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:08 pm

Jayce,

It's always good to let the record stores know that you've found something you like as well as when you don't find what you're looking for! If you don't see any Ellis Paul, let them know! :)

KarenZ
JayceK wrote:Randy's has 3 Edmond locations so I'm thinking of checking out the others to see if it's the same story, if not I'm gonna have to make a recommendation to the store manager.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:54 pm

I knew I had a reason to LOVE Randy's M&M!!!! I haven't been there in a few years since I moved out of Edmond but I do visit Edmond some so I'll have to stop by!! I was going to order the new cd online for my sister but I guess I can just go by there and have the copy in my hands!!!

Thanks Jayce!!

care

newbury comcis

Postby care » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

i know newbury comics carries ellis paul cds too.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:44 am

Looked for ESSENTIALS at our local BORDERS BOOKS AND MUSIC in Concordville, Pa. and they did not have it. It's usually hit and miss in the folk section there anyway....and I know they offer to order anything you might want...but my gosh...the sticker shock on their new CDs..... :shock:

A whoppin 17.99 for the new Keith Urban and Evanscence and Sugarland.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:51 pm

I know the Borders in Boston has it!
Susan

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 am

Last night, I was driving home from a long and somewhat trying Thanksgiving weekend with friends in Orlando. I was listening to Essentials disc 1, and when "The World Ain't Slowing Down" came on, I was suddenly struck with the impulse to buy and send Essentials to a woman I sort-of know, a cousin of friends who is on their web site, and who seems to be feeling a little down. I stopped at both Barnes and Noble and Best Buy on my way into town and neither had it. B&N had American Jukebox Fables, and they had it on their headphone listening center, but not in-store. I was disappointed, as the leading to do this deed was very strong and clear and in-the-moment. But I had already planned to order more copies for other people who have either heard my music playing or whom I think would dig it. So I guess it will be a delayed deed.

Had I been in Orlando, there are more "cool" indie music stores which might have carried it. But the impulse didn't strike me until more than halfway back to Jacksonville. (If there is a good music store here, I haven't found it.)

-- Ann

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Ann.....been there and done that...I just hate stoppin in to a store on the chance they'll have a new release I'm lookin for only to find they don't have it. The kind offer to "order one" never really appeals to me. I'm WAY TOO INTO instant gratification, so I move on and try other outlets.

On a side note...and I'm not one to speak....but if you decide to become an AMAZON WOMAN for this purchase......once your friend's cousin has spent some time with ESSENTIALS, perhaps you could ask her to write a few words out on Amazon.com about the artist and music.

Great idea to gift this fine collection of songs..whether it's a holiday gift kind of thing, or in your case, just knowing that someone you've spent time with might benefit from having some of the songs on ESSENTIALS in their life. I really believe in the healing powers of music, especially Ellis' music. 8)

I applaud your efforts......and may the next record store you walk into have a copy of every cd you are looking for. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:21 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Ann.....been there and done that...I just hate stoppin in to a store on the chance they'll have a new release I'm lookin for only to find they don't have it.

Thanks for the sympathy, Paddy. I don't mind ordering for myself online, and had done the handy pre-order thingy for this one. Now it's a re-order thingy, which is a good thing too. People stop into my office and ask, "Who is that singing?" and I drop the name. Now I know they won't find it at the nearest store. But it IS on iTunes, just sans lovely packaging and liner notes.

paddyinthepub wrote:Great idea to gift this fine collection of songs..whether it's a holiday gift kind of thing, or in your case, just knowing that someone you've spent time with might benefit from having some of the songs on ESSENTIALS in their life.

Thanks. Maybe if everyone here gave two new initiates a copy...

Return to “Spread the News”