KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:26 am

Well...ain't that just like a guy.....to not follow-up as requested. :wink:

OK....drum roll please....

Ladies 10 :shock:
Gents 2 :(

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:13 pm

KarenZ wrote:Well...ain't that just like a guy.....to not follow-up as requested.

PotatoPicker wrote:Given that I am (or at least my gender is) probably out-numbered on the board by 4 or 5 to 1 :roll: , by the end of the day I suspect I won't be doing badly ;)

By the way, it is now 9 to 2..... :D

Actually, isn't that just like a gal to not listen to what a guy said earlier... ;) and isn't it just like a guy to not say it well enough the first time.... :oops:

The Battle of the Sexes - a war of words between people separated by a common language.
Jeff

IllinoisBill

Postby IllinoisBill » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 pm

The Social Scientist checking in here....

Regarding the ratio of women to men posting reviews anywhere, one should look to the gender composition of the board itself. If the participants are predominantly women, then using raw #s doesn't accurately reflect the total effort given the universal cohort.

We can make #s mean whatever we want (just like politicians). Just wanted to shed some light on the game...

Bill
"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision -- then it becomes less important whether I am afraid."

-- Audre Lorde 1934-1992

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:32 pm

That's right. We can. ;)

Hee....hee.....hee.....

KarenZ

IllinoisBill wrote:We can make #s mean whatever we want (just like politicians).
Bill
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 pm

So Bill help me out here ! ! ! ! I'm feeling pretty lonely out in review land :mrgreen:
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:15 pm

This might just be the thread that brings the " LOOKIE LOU'S " of the board who are of the male species out once and for all to help the cause.

I ain't holdin my breath....but it'd sure be nice to get some support.

Whatdya say fellas???

I'm with PeteM ........not going to post a review until I've heard it.

I'll get there Jeff...really I will. :oops:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:40 pm

Woo Hoo Hero No2 has responded personally to my post about the 'cover alert' on Essentials

Mark Erelli reply

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:10 pm

Jela,

Thanks for sharing Mark's reply. He is truly a class act. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:24 pm

As for the battle of the sexes. The woman have clearly won if only ONE man who posts regularly even owns Essentials. :shock:

Are you afraid you won't like it? :lol:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Thinking that if the score doesn't change soon I am going to have to think about an operation or something..... :shock:
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Right on Bonnie. Jeeze.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:24 am

Sue Ellen. You made a typo. It's jeezum crow. :wink:

KarenZ
Sue Ellen wrote:Right on Bonnie. Jeeze.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:34 pm

KarenZ wrote:Sue Ellen. You made a typo. It's jeezum crow. :wink:

KarenZ
Sue Ellen wrote:Right on Bonnie. Jeeze.

Sue Ellen

:lol:

If we are going to be utilising official board lingo, allow me to say..... I think it is "dripping UNcool" that so many of us still don't have Essentials. :P

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 am

HELLO....my name is paddyinthepub and I am "dripping UNcool." :cry:

As well as a " total " but that's another meeting entirely. :P
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:58 pm

On the subject of other artist's websites and discussion groups:

I went out to another website last week and browsed around long enough to see that they have some 800 members. :shock:
The discussion group is fairly active. Someone out there started a thread asking fellow members: Who else should I be listening to?

I feel a little hesitant joining a group and right off the bat start going on about another artist. The group might suspect my motives as somewhat self serving. There has to be a way to remedy this of course. Here's a few ideas:

If you're a fan of other artists.....join their group.

Take the time to gain some trust.

Be as involved as you can.

Bring up Ellis Paul in the "other artists you like" forum.

It's grass roots to be sure.....but a little seed spread here and there can only help spread the word about Ellis.

I guess the bottom line for me is to let go of my comfort level of only belonging to two music forums.......join others.......many others, and do what I can there.

On a final note....radio station sites like wxpn in philly also have forums with tons of members and activity and other artist areas.

Not to mention, at this time of the year, everyone is asking folks to:

List their Top 5 or Top 10 favorite records of 2006.

Be great to sign up on some of these and place Ellis Paul Essentials on your list of faves. It get's people thinking...Who Is Ellis Paul :?:

Once you have folks curious and asking that question............. :D
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Paddy, it is definitely poor "netiquette" to have your first post be about a different artist. It is however completely acceptable to have your SECOND post be about a different artist. :P

There are also more suble ways too. You can use an Ellis lyric in your signature line, even a link to ellispaul.com

I am sure they will be just as thrilled to have you there as we are to have new members here. as Nike says......"Just Do It" :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Nike's logo is swish.
My mantra is wish.
Tried for one hour to register with a new forum.....similar to ours in a phpbb way.....wish it had worked......I'll keep trying......arghhh. :roll:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:18 am

Folks,

I haven't looked at Amazon for a while, so I'm happy to report that there's now 14 reviews of Essentials on Amazon - all positive. :) Thanks (again) for helping get the word out.

Ellis Paul Essentials on Amazon.com

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Here's a link to Rolling Stone magazine's section of their website that allows folks to post reviews on concerts, with photos even.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... ive-shows/

While I found it today through a Paolo Nutini search, and it seems to focus on mainstream and rock music...why not Ellis ?

Kharma, Kharma, kharma, kharma, kharma, Chameleon.

Nuff said...... :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:27 pm

One of the latest tools on the web for generating interest in an artist and the chance that they will travel to your town for a performance can be found here:

http://eventful.com/demand

The basic premise is best descrcibed as "demand it" and if the numbers climb high enough, it might just happen. You can start a "demand it" thread for any person, or artist in Ellis' case, then watch the numbers grow.

As the demand rises, and the likelihood of an event or concert in Ellis' case increases, fans can keep track of all aspects of the future possible concert. I may have overexplained it, and it might not be Ellis' general way of planning out tour dates......but it might just catch on!!!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:34 am

Paddy,

Would you start a "demand" in a city where he's never played....or in a city where he already has a following?

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:54 am

Karen, I guess either could work, really. Not sure.....it's all greek to me at the moment. If you type in a popular artist or city, the feedback for interest in artists is up there to view.....you see both the number of folks that have taken the time to "demand it" and a few words about the artist.

The demographics are easily viewed once in an artists profile. So if there was a grass roots campaign to "demand" Ellis Paul, in towns and cities across America and beyond.....it would show the level of interest in Ellis Paul...and eventually lead a newbie to check out Ellis' music.

Whether it eventually led to a gig in a brand new town or region would of course be a bonus for Ellis Paul and the folks who've climbed aboard. The short answer is, I believe, both new and old.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:02 am

Happened upon this web site after searching for music discussion groups on Craigslist Philadelphia this morning. I realised that all kinds of folks are looking for connection to community for all kinds of reasons. Maybe they're new to the area or now empty nesters or as one group calls itself:

"Couples over 40 and not over the hill"

The idea is to get together for meet and greets. Can be for almost anything under the sun....books/music/food/dancing/bars/nightlife.

You can see where I'm going with this.... :D

Such a concept could open the door for listening parties, concerts, discussion groups.....you can join a group at first or start your very own.

At the site....enter your zip code and see what others are talking about:

http://nightlife.meetup.com/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:00 am

Last night I stumbled upon a music forum while searching the web for some info on Chris Knight's show at the Knitting Factory in NYC to be held tonight!!! I'd typed in a few key words on Google and up popped some info on the show on another music forum. The real eye opener for me was the large number of members and ALL the topics they were discussing.

Of course, I simply could not resist. :wink: I signed up and dove right in. Within minutes I had posted on no less than seven threads, most of which were music related, one was along the lines of "this old car" ~ :wink:

Here's the reveal.....it was the legendary band "POCO" that had all these music lovers gathered in this one place in cyberspace. Wide open topics and tons of activity. I do believe Ellis once cited on his myspace that POCO was among some of his early influences. Small World!!!

One of the COOLEST things I discovered IS what the fans call themselves:

"POCONUTS" :D

One thread: a triple concert of Poco/Firefall/Pure Prairie League

OMG.....3 of my old faves...and they're still doing it all these years later.

Nice forum...good folks. Dropped my share of names in to the mix. :wink:

http://www.poconut.com/?content=journal
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:01 pm

Paddy,

Did you start a thread about Ellis on their board?? That is the real question! :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:08 am

Hi Bonnie, the short answer to the question is no, I did not start a thread on Ellis Paul. Not yet, anyway.... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Paddy,

I assumed the wink meant that you had dropped Ellis' name into the mix....

I just visted the Sugarland forum on CMT.com and started a thread for Ellis Paul commenting that Kristian Bush and Ellis had written a song together ("Summertime") that can be heard on Ellis' MySpace. There's no discussion board on Sugarland's web site, so I figured the CMT web site was the next best thing - better actually since it gets tons of traffic. If you guys want to chime in, here's the link. Like here, you have to go through a painless registration process.

Sugarland message board on CMT

paddyinthepub wrote:Nice forum...good folks. Dropped my share of names in to the mix. :wink:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:38 pm

Karen,

Sure I dropped Ellis' name into the mix, I mean how could I resist? :wink:

Note to self...do not enter a high stakes poker game with KarenZ since she can read you and your emoticons like a book. :D
paddy

JennyLevE

Sorta -- Kinda

Postby JennyLevE » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:47 am

Well--

It isn’t exactly on the internet and I didn’t exactly promote Ellis to the masses, but as some of you may have already figured out I did include Ellis in my main College Essay. I figured I should explain some of the strange references to those of you who read the board closely.

I was privileged enough to have the opportunity to give Ellis a copy of that essay when I saw him in concert a week ago.

I know that the college admissions representatives read tens of thousands of essay and probably thousands that are about, or reference, musicians. Maybe, hopefully, Ellis’s lyrics stuck with one of them. At least I would like to think that they might have.

I know that my college counselor asked me to share some of his music with her after reading my essay.

I would like to somewhat publicly thank Ellis again. In what has statistically been the most selective college applicant year in modern history I was accepted to 8 out of my 9 schools and the Ellis essay was a large part of that.

If anyone is interested in reading it, PM me your email address and I will email you a copy.

Thanks!
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

shari

Postby shari » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:55 pm

Go Jen!

:-)

JennyLevE

Thanks

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks Shari! :lol:
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 04, 2007 7:35 am

I really enjoyed reading Jen's college essay. It affirms the power of music in our lives.... Thanks Jen. :)

KarenZ

JennyLevE

Thanks!

Postby JennyLevE » Sat May 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Awww -- Thanks! :oops:
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 am

Folks,

Another terrific review of Essentials on Amazon. I especailly like the short and to-the-point: "And that voice!" :)
Ellis Paul is far and away the best modern song writer. Just close your eyes and see the stories unfold; from climbing the water tower to floating down fifth avenue in a taxi with an angel at your side. And that voice! There aren't many like him anymore. He is truly a classic. Not like that commercial garbage all over the radio nowadays. If you like Ellis give Martin Sexton a listen. Marty also is tops when it comes to song writing. Another Boston folk singer. Good stuff.

If you haven't yet posted a review on Amazon, please consider doing so.

Ellis Paul Essentials on Amazon

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:49 pm

I just wanted to state the obvious.

These tactics will work just as well for The Dragonfly Races.

:D

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:43 pm

And Drognfily Races provides a whole 'nother audience to go pushing his work into....
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Well, you can post about or comment on Ellis Paul's music on blogs that are not focused on music or singer/songwriters. Intellectual blogs are ripe with opportunities to refer to Ellis Paul's music. I've been following a philosophy blog, and have been able to make several references to Ellis's music.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Spread the News”