Dragonfly Races: examples of uses in educational setting

Discuss ways to get the word out!
rglossne

Dragonfly Races: examples of uses in educational setting

Postby rglossne » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:24 pm

In Ellis' latest newsletter, he asked for examples of ways to use the Dragonfly Races with kids. I work in development (fundraising) for our local public library, and my office is in the back of one of our story rooms, while we are building our new children's wing. I gave a copy of the Dragonfly Races to the people who actually do the story times, and they've been using it as the music that's playing as the kids arrive. Kids and parents and story tellers love it.
Thank the Lord for the friends he cast in the play he wrote for you. --Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Dragonfly Races: examples of uses in educational setting

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:40 am

Thanks rglossne! What a terrific example of how Dragonfly Races can be used in an educational setting. I tweaked the subject line a bit to attract teachers or folks who work with kids to post other examples in this thread. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 am

Folks,

In additon to Wikipedia featuring an article daily with Today's Featured Article there is also a Picture of the Day. Not sure how I missed the fact that the Picture of the Day on Nov. 1, 2008 was that of a dragonfly! Click on the link below to see all the Pictures of the Day for November 2008....but make sure to click on the dragonfly itself to see a larger view. The detail in the photo is amazing. :shock:

November 2008 Picture of the Day

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JillJae

Postby JillJae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:26 pm

I teach 2nd grade and we studied the landmarks of North America. I introduced "Road Trip" to my class and they ate it up! I made a powerpoint using the song and found all of the cool landmarks mentioned. The children ask me to play it for them all the time. A big question asked by parents at parent teacher conferences was "Where can I get that CD for my child?" Now quite a few of my students are getting "Dragonfly Races" for Christmas. We also discussed proper nouns from the song and found the common nouns that went with them.

When we study Japan, I plan to use "Wabi Sabi" in a similar way.

Keep Singing
JillJae

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:44 am

JillJae......that's an outstanding teaching tool and one that has such great potential for learning in a fun way. I've often thought of bringing a copy of Dragonfly Races to my son's school for just that reason. And of course if it helps kids and their parents get introduced to Ellis Paul's music. :)

Welcome aboard!!! :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:23 am

Ditto from me! Welcome JillJae! :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:06 pm

well it is not so much an educational setting as a family daycare...

But just the other day when I saw lady walking down my street with about 4 kids I thought I need to give her copy of Dragonfly Races, so I did...she called to tell me how much she is enjoying it, and Ellis has a really nice voice... I know we're not suppose to say I told you so...but.. I couldn't help myself.. :wink:

Hopefully a couple of those kids will be at the kids show when Ellis performs in September @ the Slater Park/ Stone Soup festival..!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Patti

What a wonderful thing to do...... :D

Brings to mind a 1971 Coca Cola commercial where the chorus is......

"I'd like to buy the world a coke"

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Spread the News”