Talking up Ellis Paul

Discuss ways to get the word out!
KarenZ
Site Admin

Talking up Ellis Paul

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:57 am

Folks,

I've had a couple experiences recently that affirm the importance of simply talking up Ellis Paul. Some would say Ellis Paul's music is my favorite subject to talk about. I might have to agree. ;) We've all had experiences talking about Ellis' music to friends and complete strangers......so let's share some of those stories! :)

Last August Sue Ellen and I went on a sailing excursion in Ogunquit, ME earlier on the same day that we went to an Ellis Paul show in Newmarket, NH. We yakked on and on about Ellis Paul's music to the sailboat Captain (he's from Maine, he performed for the governor, we love his music, we've traveled miles to hear him live, etc.) and when we returned to the dock the next day to tell Captain Jack what a wonderful show he missed, Jack informed us that when he got home the night before he downloaded all of Ellis Paul Essentials and played it all day aboard the boat.....saying that he really liked it! (No surprise there.) :) Fast forward 12 months to August 2008. BeckyG and I decide to spend a few days in Ogunquit before heading to Arlington, VT for the Ellis Paul weekend. Naturally we have to go sailing with Captain Jack. ;) Part way through the sail, Jack says "Oh I have some music for you to hear." Then he cranks up Ellis Paul! Becky and I thought we had died and gone to heaven. I mean, it was this gorgeous, perfect day for a sail, we're tasting the salt-sea spray, and listening to Ellis sing "Welcome home to Maine" was the icing on the cake. (One of about 8 or 9 songs that randomly played through Jack's iPod!) At that moment in time, I was in total agreement with Maine's slogan: "Maine. The way life should be." :)

Then....over this past weekend I was buying some new living room furniture. The girl in the furniture store who was ringing me out commented on the dragonfly necklace that I was wearing. Turns out she was wearing a dragonfly necklace too.....so we got to talking.....about my favorite subject.....turns out she's a young mom....and I am certain Ellis sold a Dragonfly Races CD as a result. When I left her she was incredibly excited! (I was feeling pretty good too.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: Talking up Ellis Paul

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 am

Music, to me, is the gift that keeps on giving. In that spirit, and on this note of talking up Ellis Paul, I'll share a recent example of doing just that. About a month or so ago, we journeyed east about an hour to the land of John Gorka's people, New Jersey. The occasion was a special one, a house concert with Eliot Morris and let me just say that after years of fandom I was thrilled to have the opportunity to see him live in concert, at last!

When the day finally arrived and as we were preparing to leave the house for our journey into unknown territory I thought to myself that we simply can't show up empty handed. I enlisted the help of my mother in law, who was staying with us at the time and going with us to the concert, to put together a gift basket for the concert hosts. I mean you can show up to these things empty handed, but something told me no, you would feel better all around if you showed up with something in hand for the hosts.

A bottle of wine, sure, that was a no brainer. But so typical. What can I bring to help convey the magnitude of my appreciation at the chance these kind folks were giving me to finally see Eliot Morris in concert. Well, the answer, to me, was obvious and immediate. Music. Again, a real no brainer.

We put together a really nice gift basket that included not one, but two bottles of wine, and 3 CDs. That's right, 3 CDs. I was hoping for impact with the basket, and these folks were thrilled beyond compare at our graciousness. To me it was but a token of appreciation for what they were giving me. Now to the music included in the basket. Simple, some Ellis Paul. I had picked up 5 copies of Essentials at Eddie's Attic in Decatur last November and had one copy left. So that went in the basket. Next was a new copy of Antje Duvekot's Big Dream Boulevard. What I knew about this couple was next to nothing other than they were fans of Counting Crows and Eliot Morris. These folks knew good music when they heard it and i was almost sure I was introducing them to artists they'd never heard before. I threw in a copy of Bret Mosley's CD to round out the basket just because I was talking up Bret Mosley to everybody I could at the time and had copies to spare.

They were just the nicest couple and family you'd ever want to meet. The kids were working merch the moment you walked in the door and it was just a superb evening of music and community. When they saw the basket they smiled, and when they saw that it contained music, they smiled even wider. "Ooooh, music, too!!," I remember her saying with joy. I got the chance to talk up the music of Ellis and Antje and Brett. Later, at the break, one of their good friends inquired about the basket which sat atop the kitchen counter area bar. He talked about how they share a beach house during summers and when there often listen to and talk music for hours. How they are always looking for good new music to listen to. He asked about the artists in the gift basket with the ear of someone, to me, who was being let in on a hot tip for a stock that showed lots of potential. We decided then and there he would learn all he needed to, and soon!

So talking up Ellis Paul comes pretty easy for me, and in this case, being able to gift a copy of Ellis Paul's music allowed me to put my money where my mouth is...so to speak. So my advice to all of you who already own all of Ellis' music on CDs or however you buy it, it's always nice to have an extra copy or two handy for that time when you just might want to let Ellis do the talking for you! :wink:

Now, it is my sincere hope to see these folks somewhere down the road at an Ellis Paul concert. In fact, the concert they hosted in their home had me thinking that it was the perfect setting for an Ellis Paul concert.

:wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:02 am

Paddy,

You ROCK! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Paddy,

Let me second that commotion!! You Rock!!!!

You and Pam and Michael have an open invite to the 'Bell Bed and Breakfast' anytime!! ;) :)

Your Mother raised you right my friend!! :)

Annie

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:07 pm

We did one last bit of shopping on our way out of town last weekend. While checking out at the Cheese House I mentioned that I was sad to be leaving the West Mountain Inn. The kind woman's reply? "Oh, were you there for the music? I heard it was wonderful!"

Clearly someone spread the word ahead of me.

:mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:44 pm

I want to live in a town where I can shop at a Cheese House!

And I want a Cheese House NOW! :evil:

Veruca Salt

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Paddy and family you are most welcome at my home anytime too :D

I'll provide some music and cheese :lol: Then we will all be happy :wink:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks Annie and Patti.............that's a most kind gesture. :)

What I left the house concert thinking was that with kids in the house, I wished I'd added Ellis' kids and family CD The Dragonfly Races to the basket. What I plan on doing is surprising them with a copy of it in a folllow up thank you note. Get the kids talking up Ellis Paul, too. :wink:

It amazed me how they found Eliot Morris and even more how they championed his cause that night. 8)

We talked about the life and times of the indie artist that night....safe to say they get it. :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:25 pm

Karen, likely a better place for this.....short on time at the moment. Wanted to share this little blog I just this minute found over on the front page of the myspace page of Wired Music Management.

music is happiness
Current mood: busy

Life is such an amazing journey, with twists and turns that one could never dream up. I used to wish I could see into the future, to know what was in store for me. I'm learning to give up control(of which I didn't really have much of),and just enjoy the ride. There have been so many adventures this past year as I've started this booking business. I have the most humble,kind, and talented clients who have put their trust in me, and have mentored me along the way. I'm so thankful to the folk community in Boston and New England for welcoming me with helpful hints and awesome tips on navigating these tricky waters. The music business is in such a tailspin right now, it will be so interesting to see how things progress over the next years. Hopefully, the weight will shift to the artists being a little more in control of their destinies! It's heartening to see the financial support that fans are giving to the artists who decide to forgo the label route and go the DIY route. Case in point, one of my all time idols, the great Ellis Paul, has seen a wonderful outpouring of support for his upcoming CD. And, the next great artist, ChuckeCosta, raising funds for his brand new CD-it will be an amazing, beautiful work of artistry. He recently won the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest with one of his new songs. I'm so excited to see how this progresses...

To the future!

Currently listening:
Translucent Soul
By Ellis Paul
Release date: 1998-09-29

Wired Music Myspace
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon May 04, 2009 6:48 pm

A marathon is a great place to chat people up about Ellis Paul and his amazing music. I've made it a point to get at least one person with whom I've shared part of a marathon to remember his name and website address. I must admit the chatting usually occurs in the first ten miles, and I can only be hopeful that the stress of the last sixteen does not obliterate the conversation from memory. Unfortunately, no one has mentioned or asked about Dusty yet, I guess the assumption is that I am Dusty...I think I'll have to add something about the Dragon Fly Races on the back of my jersy.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun May 31, 2009 11:52 am

So I am stuck on the idea that a racing jersy is a great place to "advertise" Ellis and his music. In a marathon, there could well be thousands of spectators who might catch a glimpse. I think I mentioned I have "Go Dusty Go" on the front, but realized that unless someone is already familiar with Ellis, this is good only for having people cheer on Dusty (which actually did happen in my last marathon in Burlington, as I was running up a 600 meter or so hill: "Go Dusty Go! Go Dusty Go!" It was pretty exhiliarating actually).

Anyway, for this marathon, I put "ellispaul.com" on the back of my jersy. Not one comment from people behind me (disappointing because the race stats say I passed over 400 people in the second half while being passed by only 9).

Not to be deterred yet, I thought to add some detail. My first thought was to put on song titles, but then thought perhaps it would be more effective to put on album titles.

I would very much appreciate your opinions.

Thanks. SE
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun May 31, 2009 12:02 pm

The World Ain't Slowin Down ~ Ellis Paul

Neither Am I
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun May 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Since Ellis was a runner before music took over I think it is very approriate.

How about

"Not The Speed of Trees." or The Speed of Ellis (or Sue :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:42 pm

Well, thinking that you want to appeal to runners, I'd suggest Dragonfly Races followed by the website address. It might spark some more interest if they think that the message relates to running???

Whatever you decide, it's a great way of getting the word out to potentially lots more people.

Run, Sue Ellen Run!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:12 pm

I really like Paddy's idea....and would also include the web address.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:The World Ain't Slowin Down ~ Ellis Paul

Neither Am I

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 am

If it takes off I'm asking royalities! :P
paddy

Return to “Spread the News”