Oct. 3 in EP Music History Trivia - 3 prizes today!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Oct. 3 in EP Music History Trivia - 3 prizes today!

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:12 am

Woody Guthrie died on Oct. 3, 1967. Today marks the 40th anniversary of his death. As most of you know, Ellis Paul is a big Woody Guthrie fan. To commemorate Woody’s death, there are three Ellis Paul/Woody Guthrie quizzes below. The first person to answer all five questions in one quiz will win a prize. Persons may submit answers for all three quizzes, but can only win one prize. Prizes vary for each quiz as noted below. Quizzes are open to all - even recent prize winners.

This is an open-book quiz. :) Most of the answers can be found HERE
or HERE.

Quiz #1
– prize is: The Stinson Collections Series: Woody Guthrie and Cisco Houston, Vol. 1 & 2

1. What Woody Guthrie lyics did Ellis Paul write music for and record on Speed of Trees?
2. What girl group recorded the song from #1 above on their 2006 release Wild Bouquet?
3. Ellis Paul sings background vocals on this artist’s CD of Woody Guthrie songs titled Woodeye. Name the artist.
4. In 1998 Ellis Paul headlined a special benefit for the 1st Annual Woody Guthrie Folk Festival with this British folk/rock/punk rocker. Name the artist.
5. In 2003 Ellis Paul toured around the country as part of a Woody Guthrie tribute show along with Jimmy LaFave, Eliza Gilkyson, Slaid Cleaves, Joel Rafael and others. What was the name of this tribute tour?

Quiz #2 – prize is: Golden Classics: Woody Guthrie Classics, Part Two.

1. In 1996 Ellis Paul performed at a Woody Guthrie tribute show held at this famous place in Cleveland. Name the place.
2. In 1998, Ellis Paul received the key to Woody Guthrie’s Oklahoma hometown. Name the town.
3. Ellis Paul often performs a Woody Guthrie song that could easily be Ellis’ theme song. Name the song.
4. What Woody Guthrie song appears on Ellis’ 3000 miles DVD?
5. What female singer-songwriter sings with Ellis Paul on the song above?

Quiz #3 – prize is: Golden Classics: Woody Guthrie Worried Man Blues, Part One.

1. Ellis Paul joins an artist on a cover of Woody's "Vigilante Man" on the artist’s release Paradox of Grace. Name the artist.
2. What Woody Guthrie connection is represented in this picture?
3. Ellis Paul has a Woody Guthrie tattoo located where on his body?
4. Name an Ellis Paul song that mentions Woody Guthrie.
5. What honor did Ellis Paul receive at the 2007 Woody Guthrie Folk Festival?

Good luck! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:40 am

Here goes for #1

1.God's promise
2.Burns Sisters
3. Joel Rafael
4. Billy Bragg
5.Ribbon of Highway, Endless Skyway

Keeping my fingers xrossed XXXXXX

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:47 am

Folks,

We have a winner for Quiz #1! Congratulations Jela! Thanks so much for participating! (I have your address.) ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:29 am

for quiz #2

1. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
2. Okemah
3. Hard Travelin'
4. Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key
5. Susan Werner

Hope these are right!!!
Thanks, Karen, for commemorating this day in this special way.
Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:39 am

Folks,

We have our 2nd winner! Congratulations Becky! I am so grateful that we have at least one Okie as a winner! :D (I have your address too.) ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Ok, here goes my try at Quiz #3....

1. Don Con (I love Paradox of Grace)
2. Arlo? looks like him at least
3. Right arm.
4. Kiss The Sun
5. He was one of the "10 year artists"
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:38 pm

We have our 3rd winner! Congratulations, Bonnie! (More specifically, the tatoo is on EP's right shoulder.) ;)

Thanks everyone for participating. I'll get the prizes in the mail asap. :)

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks, Karen!! This was fun. I do love your quizzes. (and the prizes!)
You're fabulous! :D

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Folks,

The prizes went into the mail yesterday (Saturday) morning. Hope the prize winners enjoy the Woody Guthrie songs and that everyone else enjoyed the trivia questions/answers. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:04 pm

Just to say that my CD arrived in today' s post thank you - pretty good going as we've been having postal strikes over here and there's a backlog to clear.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:45 pm

I got mine as well!! I can't wait to have a listen.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”