Aug. 16 in EP Music History Trivia - win a prize

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Aug. 16 in EP Music History Trivia - win a prize

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

"She's got pictures on her wall of Dylan and Presley.
She wears them black slacks, tennis shoes, and shirts without the sleeves.
Though she smokes them long cigarettes, I've seen her do it frequently."
-- Ellis Paul

Believe it or not, it was 30 years ago today that The King of Rock 'n Roll died. Elvis Presley was rushed from Graceland to Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee on this day in 1977. Doctors’ efforts to revive him were fruitless and he was pronounced dead (coronary arrhythmia) at 3:30 p.m. He was 42 years old. Thousands of mourning fans kept a vigil outside Graceland, the home of the King of Rock 'n Roll, for three days before his burial. Thousands more lined the streets of Elvis' hometown on the day of his funeral. The city, the nation, the music world and fans from around the world were in shock over his passing. Even to this day, some say that Elvis didn’t die -- he just wanted to get away from it all. Fans from all over have reported sightings of Elvis -- from a hamburger joint in Kalamazoo, MI to California.

Elvis had an unprecedented 107 hits on the pop music charts. His first hit was "Heartbreak Hotel" in 1956 and his last, one of two RCA hits released after his death, was "Guitar Man" in 1981. He had 28 gold records, 12 number one songs and 38 top-10 hits. Elvis is buried at Graceland, now a major tourist attraction.

We remember him well.

Elvis' website has declared Aug. 11-19 Elvis Week. Lots to see and hear when you click HERE.

To win a copy of the Windham Hill Legacy 2 CD which includes Ellis Paul singing "Ashes to Dust" simply be the first person to reply to this posting with the name of the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above. Persons who have won something here within the last 6 months are not eligible.

There's EP....and then there's EP. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 am

Karen

Urban Girl from the Urban Folk Songs CD

Richard

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:29 am

Congratulations Richard! You're our winner! :)

How nice that our winner is from across the pond.....considering that the answer to today's trivia is the current Song of the Fortnight! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Coincidentally the very song we are in the early days of discussing over on the Song of the Fortnight thread. Early congrats, Richard. That Windham Hill compilation disc is where it all started with EP and me. Enjoy!!!

I have a few Elvis stories of my own, three in fact.

1) Years after Elvis passed, my aunt nearly ran over Priscilla at a crosswalk. Seems they lived in the same small California town and Priscilla proceeded thru a crosswalk when clearly it was the autos turn. At least that was always my aunt's side of the story. She's passed on.

2) My early music education came via Bob Claypool, the music critic for the Houston Post. His reviews of albums and concerts were my favorite part of the daily paper. When Bob wrote about music, you just knew you were getting to the essence of the music. Good or bad, he gave it to you straight. I knew his daughters and gained a little insight into his life and career before he too passed on, far too young, at the age of 40. One of the early tidbits I can share is the last time Elvis played in Houston, Tx. and Bob Claypool, of course, was there to cover it for the paper. While I personally don't recall the review, suffice to say Mr. Claypool was not kind when writing about what he saw on the stage that night. It was his job, which he took rather seriously, to tell it like it was. Elvis was, let's just say, not at his best, for whatever reasons, and in the paper the next day Bob Claypool let him have it. This was a couple months before Elvis died.

After Elvis' death, Bob Claypool received his fair share of hate mail from Elvis' fans in Houston, a couple of them containing threats against his life.

3) Lastly, one of my other all time musical heroes, Bill Deasy, states in the opening line of his bio that, it all started, for him, with Elvis Presley!

ooops...just remembered another...

4) My brother in law, drop dead georgeous and a long time fan of Elvis, used to do one of the best Elvis impersonations ever..... :D

Now how could I end this without quoting Elvis???

Thankyou, thankyou verymuch.... :lol:

Long Live The King!!! 8)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:24 pm

Congratulations Richard!

Paddy ~ What great Elvis tidbits! Thanks for sharing! :)
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”