April 4 in EP Music History

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

April 4 in EP Music History

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:16 am

Early morning, April four
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky.
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride.

Shortly after 6:00 a.m in the morning on April 4, 1968, this visionary civil rights leader was brutally assassintated outside his hotel room in Memphis Tennessee. Read about that tragedy HERE

What legendary band, whose lyrics are quoted above, commemorates and honors this man and his dream?

Click here for the answer.

Can you name an Ellis Paul song that also references this great leader? I can think of two.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

JennyLevE

Kiss the Sun

Postby JennyLevE » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:33 am

MLK is mentioned in Kiss the Sun on American Jukebox Fables.
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:38 am

Great trivia Sue Ellen! :)

Another song that mentions MLK is "Citizen of the World" - the duet with Vance Gilbert.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:16 am

It was really a strange time in History, and if you're old enough to have been alive and aware of the events of the day, you know what I mean.

From JFK to MLK to RFK ....it was just so life altering, to go from one mode of being.....innocent boyhood and life unaffected by much on the evening news....to the palpable change in the air when these public figures were all over the news.....only it was the grief filled coverage of their deaths and the coverage of their funerals that followed.

I saw the band U2 in concert once...years ago, and remember one song they did specifically. It was Pride (In the name of Love) A technical glitch shut off Bono's microphone just at the point in the song where he sings the WOOT WOOT part. I thought he'd lost his voice for a moment, RIGHT THERE in the middle of the song. My friend quickly pointed out the obvious when BONO rose up from one knee, and frustrated, threw the malfunctioning microphone down to the stage in utter disgust.

The moment was lost......he was handed a new MIC and continued on with the song right in time with the beat. It's obvious Bono cares deeply for the memory of the man. I just love U2's song for MLK.

Even though I just realised something, thanks to the link provided.

I always thought the line was "one more, in the name of love" and found out just now I've been wrong all along.

In the name of love
What more in the name of love
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 am

I did not know about the "Citizen of the World" reference. "Kiss the Sun" was one of the two songs I had in mind. The second song I thought of has a more subtle reference.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”