April 1 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

April 1 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Folks,

Wow. Stories is 13 years old - having been released on April 1, 1994. No April Fools! :)

Some of my earliest favorite EP songs are on Stories - it being the first EP CD I owned.

I thought we could resurrect a version of the rolling question. I'll post the first tline of lyric from a song on Stories and the next person names the song and posts the first line from another song...until we have posted the first line from each song on the CD. Are you up to the challenge? They don't have to be in order. I'll start:

"Picture my face at your kitchen table...."

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:02 pm

My wife considers this song one of her faves and definitely "Essensual." :wink: I remember like it was yesterday the release of this record....13 years? :shock: Whew!!! I'm okay!!! :wink:

"Picture my face at your kitchen table" ~ ~ ~ Don't Breathe

"My name is Robert Wilson"......
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:23 am

3000 miles.........

'Stories' was the first Ellis CD we or really, Richard, bought, on the strength of reading a review in 1994.

I do recall it being played on the hi-fi at home and walking into the room as I was immedately struck by 'the voice' I was hearing and needed to know who it was. Well from there on in, I was hooked, there was no looking back and what a wonderful journey it has been since. Long may it continue.

'Stories' is a really strong collection of songs, so difficult to pick one out as a favourite.

My first line is

I can count all the lights in the city from the ledge on the twenty-seventh floor

Jela

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:49 am

I can count all the lights in the city from the ledge on the twenty-seventh floor
is The King of Seventh Avenue

Stories was the second EP recording we purchased, and it in no way diminished our enthusiasm for all things Ellis! What an amazing collection of songs and stories... good thing CDs don't wear out the same way that vinyl does; I can't imagine having to wait several hours between re-playings (to avoid distortion of the grooves)!

Next, one of my favorites:
She is searching for a form of salvation
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:36 am

She is searching for a form of salvation

Good one, Wendy! That would be "all things being the same".

How about one of my earliest Patty Griffin-wailing favorites:

"While Hollywood sleeps, a young man is dying"

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 am

Such a fitting and touching tribute to the actor River Phoenix. I recall when the news story broke, I could almost picture the scene outside the club in LA where River Phoenix collapsed and died of an overdose. Then along comes the album Stories and this song " RIVER " --- I no longer had to use my imagination, for Ellis had used his to write this song which captures River's life in Hollywood, and his untimely death that night. I too love the drama Patty Griffin's wailing adds to the scene.

"While Hollywood sleeps, a young man is dying" ~ River

Next up is the first line:

"This time let's not bring up my disasters,"
paddy

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 am

Paddy--
Looking For My Friends is a great song.
I think that my favorite from this album would probably be Don’t Breathe though. I love the soft sound and the beautiful imagery that accompany the song. One of the prettiest songs, in my opinion, that Ellis has written. Patty just makes it special!
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:16 pm

I've always liked the song Last At The Table

" Preacher won't you preach to me I need a pint of philosophy!!!"

I don't necessarily believe alcohol is the answer, but I do like this line

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 am

The album cover for STORIES is just so cool, and to me, telling. While I was just beginning to learn about Ellis and his "storied" road to becoming a singer songwriter...I had the photo of Ellis on the cover to ponder.

Every Picture Tells a Story!!!

You got Ellis, rail thin (starving artist?) He's tossing a nod to Bob (popular music video on MTV had Dylan's lyrics on big ol Que Cards.) The alleys of Boston, where Ellis and others would hold court at impromptu open mikes in hallways of abandoned buildings lit by a single candle light. The simple straightforward one word album title told you just what Ellis was about.

Stories 8)

Rolling on.....the first line of one of my favorite stories Ellis tells:

You said, "Don't wait up, don't count the minutes."
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:01 am

That would be "Last call"!!! The second of two Patty Griffin-on-harmony songs on Stories.

How about:

"Do not mention his name"

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:You said, "Don't wait up, don't count the minutes."

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”