March 14 in EP Music History Trivia - Win a prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

March 14 in EP Music History Trivia - Win a prize!

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:26 am

Folks,

The first person to reply to this posting with:

1) the name of the Ellis Paul CD released 7 years ago today (March 14, 2000) and,

2) one or two sentences about what they love about the CD (favorite song, memory, etc)

will win an autographed collectors' item poster from when Ellis played the Blue Heart Cafe in Portland, OR on Aug. 29, 1996.

Only folks who will treasure the poster need reply. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

The album released on March 14th of 2000 is Ellis's first LIVE album and is simply titled LIVE. The frist thing I loved about this record was the cover. Ellis spelling out the word LIVE in a whimsical cursive writng style with a lightbulb used as writing tool.

Beyond all the great music found on the double live CD, with friends Don Conoscenti and Christopher Williams joining Ellis onstage, not to mention the incomparable Patty Griffin, are all the great stories Ellis tells between and before songs. There's the Harmony poem talking about Patty Griffin, the DEADHEAD airline pilot story( a classic ) and of course, the story of Ellis dining at a sidewalk cafe in New York when he was approached by a rather amusing fellow on a bike of some kind. It lifted Ellis' spirits when he needed it most and best of all, was the intro to the fabulous story song of ANGEL IN MANHATTAN.

Great Album.....thanks for the chance to win the poster. I hope I didn't go on too long about the record and my favorite parts to miss it by this much. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 am

We have a winner! Congratulations, Paddy! :) I'll PM you for your snail mail address.

Folks, please do chime in with addtional comments regarding Ellis Paul Live :!:

I love that Disk 2 contains those gems not found anywhere else - "Mrs. Jones", "seize the day", "changing your name".....over the years I have gone back to them over and over again.... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks Karen, I have a room in my house that will someday be turned into a "music room" and the poster will be framed and proudly displayed.

Thanks to Ellis and all involved with his very fine LIVE album and the chance to win the coveted signed by Ellis Paul poster.

Very cool! :D

Check EBAY in a couple of weeks....biddin will begin at $$$........ :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:31 am

I love this album, I've been playing it in the car lately. I love the songs, and how the songs sound, and I love the spoken pieces, especially: "Dead Head Pilot;" "Harmony;" and "Tornado Girl." I love all the harmonizing "guest" voices. If I had to pick a favorite track, it would be really difficult. Right now I'd say Martyr's Lounge. I love this version so much, I wish it was the one that had ended up on "Essentials." I really love how it rocks and how the chorus is done, especially toward the end. This version is a great pre-race tune...just the thing to turn pre-race jitters into the right kind of energy. I'll stop now, because even though I think I could write a dissertation about this album, I don't quite have enough time.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Before Essentials, this was my favorite Ellis CD. Okay , my favroite CDs. I love the two versions of Conversation With a Ghost. the live Autobiography of a Pistol is superb. Last Call with its softly soaring harmonies is absolutely wondrous.

My two favorite parts though are Angel in Manhattan (still one of my 2 or 3 favorite Ellis songs of all), and the poem Love's Too Familiar A Word. That is an extraordinarily personal piece of writing - which even so captures the all-too common feelings of wonder, of loss, of being blessed and unworthy all at once.

Folks who are interested in the poetry can find all of these poems (along with others, and song lyrics, and some great road stories) in Ellis's book, the title of which is escaping me now..... Aaaarrgh. A great read, and highly recommended - Notes from the Road ? Boy am I embarrassed now.....
Jeff

danaj

Postby danaj » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Well... being an Okie myself, one of my favorite things on this album was Tornado Girl. 8) But then you all know how tough it is to pick a favorite on any EP recording. :wink:

Congrats on the cool poster Paddy! :!:
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

care

LIVE

Postby care » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:40 am

LIVE was my first EP album. a friend of mine had loaned me the cd and i enjoyed it so i burned a copy of it... i played it all summer to the point that i wore out the burned copy... :oops: that was it. i was hooked.\
the nice thing about MP3's is that they dont' get worn out... they just get lost in cyber space or computer world... something akin to the idea of the socks in the dryer i believe....

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”