Today (Nov. 29) in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Nov. 29) in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm

"Now she puts on some music,
She asks you to choose it
You sang her back a Gershwin line.
Now Ella is singing holy, soulfully
Bringing up better times" -- Ellis Paul in Maria's Beautiful Mess

The 1959 Grammy Awards were televised for the very first time on Nov. 29, 1959. It was the 2nd year that the awards were presented. Ella Fitzgerald won a Grammy for Best Jazz Performance, Soloist for the album pictured above Ella Swings Lightly, released on Nov. 22, 1958. She also won a Grammy for Best Vocal Performance, Female for the song "But Not for Me".

Song of the Year went to Bobby Darin for "Mack the Knife" and Frank Sinatra won for Album of the Year for Come Swing with Me. There was a definite swing theme in '59. ;)

Any guesses on the artist/album that won for Best Performance, Folk in 1959? I'll give you one clue.....it was a group. :)

See link below for complete list of winners.

1959 Grammy Award winners

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:13 am

Ha! I guessed right! :D Must be showing my age. :roll:

I've always loved those lines in MBM. Don't know what it is about them, but they're special. Maybe it's the combination of Gershwin and Fitzgerald....

Thanks Karen!
-wendy

care

ella

Postby care » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:44 pm

i remember going to Passim to see Ellis one night in a steamy hot July just before Ella (ellis's daughter) was born. He sang Maria's Beautiful Mess and when he got to the part about Ella is "singing holy, soulfully" he made the comment that hopefully Ella would be born and singing soon! I think of it every time I hear that part of Maria's Beautiful Mess

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”