Today (Oct. 3) in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Oct. 3) in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:49 am

"I NEVER DID PROMISE YOU
CROWNS WITHOUT TRIALS
FOOD WITH NO HARD SWEAT Y'R TEARS WITHOUT SMILES
HOT SUNNY DAYS
WITHOUT COLDE WINTRY SNOWES
NO VICT'RY WI'THOUT FIGHTIN NO LAFFS WITHOUT WOES" -- Words by Woody Guthrie; Music by Ellis Paul

Woody Guthrie died from the complications associated with Huntington's Disease on Oct. 3, 1967. Most of us have heard Ellis comment on how honored he was to be invited by Woody's daughter, Nora, to visit the Woody Guthrie Archives and Foundation in NYC.....which resulted in the co-write with Woody containing the lyrics above.

Can you name the song containing the lines of lyric above? Click here for answer. (Hint: The Burns Sisters recorded it on their latest CD released in July.)

To remember Woody today, let's list our favorite Woody Guthrie covers. I'll start. One of my favorite WG covers is Ellis Paul and Don Conoscenti's cover of "Vigilante Man" on Don's Paradox of Grace CD.

Others out there? There's a slew of them. Let's see if we can list at least 20.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:08 am

I adore "Way Down Yonder in a Minor Key".

We've heard Ellis do it live several times, and there's a knock-out version with Susan Werner on the DVD...
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:20 am

Wendy,

"minor key" is probably my favorite Woody song that Ellis covers. Interestingly, I heard an interview with Billy Bragg (who put music to Woody's lyrics) on WUMB a few days ago. When Bragg visited Woody's hometown of Okemah, OK, an elderly resident of Okemah took him down to Buckeye Creek (mentioned in the song). He commented on how special it was for him to see the spot Woody wrote about in the song. Goose-bumply.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:00 am

Well, although I hate replying to myself, I must say that I thought this was going to be a really easy one! :) Gosh....we hear so many of our favorite artists covering Woody songs....how about Bruce Springsteen's cover of "deportee" or "riding in my car"?

Counting Wendy's answer, that makes 3. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:12 am

I did plan to post a reply but had to check the oracle (Richard) as I couldn't remember whether the song I like is actually on a CD. It is Michael Fracasso's version of 1913 Massacre

I heard him sing it on the Ribbon of Highway tour a few years back.

I'm told that there is a version on Woodeye by Joel Rafael - a CD full of Woody Guthrie covers.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 am

Oh, Jela.....the reference to Richard the Oracle made me smile. ;)

Yes, Joel Raphael now has two CDs of Woody covers: Woodeye and Woodyboye. I've enjoyed listening to the songs on both alot....especially the first track on Woodeye - "when the curfew blows" - with Ellis Paul on harmony. Sweet. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:55 am

At the suggestion of The Man at the Henry Miller Library, I bought the CD by Don Conoscenti ( Paradox of Grace ) with the 'Vigilante' on it.

Silly me, Don and Ellis sound so good on it I thought they wrote it. :oops:

It's a learning process folks.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:26 am

Paddy,

No need to feel :oops: . Been there; done that many times. Now I make sure to read the liner notes. ;)

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 am

Hi!

Here's a sort of cover....(?) Isn't "This Morning I was Born Again" a combo of Woody's lyric and Slaid Cleves music? And Ellis/Vance covered it on "Side of the Road"?

I fell completely in love with that song...and I adore "God's Promise" too...

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:20 am

Shari,

I love that song too. :) (Yes, it's a Woody/Slaid co-write.) ;)

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:37 pm

Well, I do love Ellis singing "Hard Travelin".
And how could I not mention "Oklahoma Hills" sung by Jimmy LaFave??
And when the Red Dirt Rangers sing "California Stars", I just get shivers.

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:00 pm

You Okies are at an advantage when it comes to knowing Woody covers. No fair. ;)

Swooning at the thought of Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. :D

KarenZ

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”