Today (Aug. 29) in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize!)

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Aug. 29) in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize!)

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:41 pm

"And all my friends, when they drop by
can drop a quarter down
and hear Roy Orbison's cry" -- Ellis Paul

On this date in 1964 Roy Orbison’s "Oh, Pretty Woman" was released. Four weeks later, on September 26th, it hit number one and stayed there for 3 weeks. As his second #1 hit, it became the biggest hit of Roy's career.

Since the EP Book Club is going to be reading Into the Wild, I'll send a used copy of the book to the first person who can tell us what Roy Orbison's first #1 hit was. The only person not eligible to win today is the person who won a copy of the book a week or so ago. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:30 pm

Okay, here goes nothing.

Is it Roy's song............ CRYING ?

Won't be if I'm wrong....but it'd be great if I'm right.

I never win anything, well not exactly true. :wink:

CRYING is the only song by Roy Orbison that comes to mind.

Not googlin neether...... :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

john1977

Postby john1977 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:33 pm

karen,

i believe that roy's first #1 hit in america was "running scared" in 1961. however, "only the lonely" was a #1 hit in britiain in 1960 so i guess that technically that would be his first #1 hit.

hope that one of them was the one you were htinking of.

thanks,

john

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:37 pm

John, wow...great guesses and prolly right too. How'd I forget Only The Lonely?

I'm hoping that was a hint in Ellis' lyric from Jukebox that we could hear Roy Orbison cry.

Didn't notice that til after my guess tho.

Good luck OLD MAN...... :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:40 pm

John,

It was indeed "running scared". :)

Please send me a PM with your snail mail address within the next 7 days and I'll pop the book into the mail to you. Hope to see you participate in the Book Club discussion starting on Sept. 25! :)

karen,

i believe that roy's first #1 hit in america was "running scared" in 1961. however, "only the lonely" was a #1 hit in britiain in 1960 so i guess that technically that would be his first #1 hit.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”