J.D. Salinger/Ellis Paul trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

J.D. Salinger/Ellis Paul trivia

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:31 am

Folks,

With the death of J.D. Salinger yesterday, Patti D reminded me of a bit of trivia connecting Salinger to an Ellis Paul song.

Anyone want to step forth with the answer? :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Re: J.D. Salinger/Ellis Paul trivia

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Well I won't give the answer but I'm sure I wouldn't have even known what JD Salinger was probably best known for if it wasn't for Ellis's song.... :!:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:03 am

Wow..stump the band why dontcha? I have no clue the answer to this one as I type this. If ya gimme a minut...oh wait! got it! ha! just kiddin.

I kinda recall a short video Ellis was in filmed in Central Park NY where he is interviewed as part of a documentary film about JD Salinger.

But the song. I got nothing. For now, anyway.

Hmmn.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:08 am

Okay....surface of mars in 8 seconds flat. I got it! nothing to do with that Ellis Paul lyric from Speed of Trees but i feel like something of a cowboy for having roped in this lyric that fast....without drugging the bull mind you, to say, cheating over on the lyrics page. No it hit me square in the face when I pondered where in the world would a reference to JD Salinger exist in an Ellis Paul song. As Emirl Lagasse might say: BAM!

I got it! But I will let others let the answer hit them too.....

Thanks Karen! Good one. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:38 am

THE ANSWER:

"Do not mention his name.
The man kills John Lennon, now he's on TV again.
He's blaming Holden Caulfield in the face of the lens.
And each time he does it, he kills him again"
-- Ellis Paul in "Who Killed John Lennon"

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 am

Holden Caulfield was the characeter in the book "Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger.

I never read it, teenage girls usually read "Dear God It's Me Margaret" but I thought it was a must read for teenage boys back in the day. :wink:

I am happy to say I know that "Into the Wild" is a must read in lots of middle/ high schools..instead of "Catcher in the Rye" :!:

FROM WIKIPEDIA

Mark David Chapman has been widely associated with the book The Catcher in the Rye, which he carried with him at the time(he killed John Lennon) and claimed would explain his perspective. Various specific motivations have also been suggested. Chapman has since stated that what he did was wrong. There have been a number of interviews, books and films concerning Chapman and the murder of Lennon.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:30 am

Can I just add that I think this is a prime example of what I think are "intelligent" lyrics.. something that just makes so much sense, truth wrapped in song, telling a real story.. Really, does anyone else do this as good as Ellis. And this was written years ago.. sure we all get older and wiser and maybe expect this but his songs have been like this from day one. (practically :wink: )

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”