Hanukkah, Christmas, Solstice 10-Day Trivia - Daily Prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Hanukkah, Christmas, Solstice 10-Day Trivia - Daily Prize!

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Folks,

Starting tomorrow, the first day of Hanukkah, and continuing for ten days ending on the first day of winter, board members will have the opportunity to win a copy of The Day After Everything Changed. Each day I will post a few lines of lyric from an Ellis Paul song that refer to winter and/or the holidays.

To win a prize, you will be required to:

1. Identify the song title containing the posted lyrics, and;

2. Share a memory and/or story about Hanukkah, or Christmas, or Winter. It can be short or long. (I remember how much fun it was to read about Bonnie receiving her annual pair of socks.) :)

I’ll try to vary the time that I post the daily trivia to be fair to folks who can’t be glued to a computer all day. ;) To win you must have been a member of the board for a minimum of 30 days. One prize per board member.

Get those thinking caps on....till tomorrow..... :)

Hint #1: Answers may be songs or poems.
Hint #2: Ellis may not have recorded the song or poem….but maybe someone else did. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Hanukkah, Christmas, Solstice 10-Day Trivia - Daily Prize!

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 am

Day One:

Since today is the First Day of Hanukkah, I think it would be nice to start with this.

"The Williams rolled out cotton snow
the Wheelers pinched a Grinch
Mr. Greenburg lit a menora
with eight foot flames and did not flinch"

Happy Hanukkah and Good Luck! Don't forget the rules....and the hints.... listed above. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Ahh...perhaps if that was Mr. Greenberg who lit a menorah, Bonnie might jump in...if she doesn't I might just have to answer myself.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Holding off for a few hours......
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

You folks are so polite. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 pm

sorry. i missed yesterday due to a cold. thanks for waiting for me to play. :mrgreen:

1.that is from the poem "the night the lights went out on christmas"

2. holiday memory:
a few winters back, mom, sis and i drove dad's car to florida for the season. our trip fell during hanukkah so we lit a mini menorah and exchanged gifts in the hotels along the way.

for the board members who don't know my full name, it is

bonnie GREENBERG :P

p.s. i got socks last night!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Yay! We have a Day One winner! Bonnie, I suspect our polite board members were waiting for you to answer. Thanks for sharing the memory of the hotel hanukkah. :)

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well yesterday! What a bummer for the First Day of Hanukkah! :( Since I'll be seeing you in a few days, I'll plan to give you your prize then. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:57 pm

Day Two:

"I woke up to frost on the window
I'd been sleeping in a snow-globe town
Six inches on the ground"
-- Ellis Paul

Even though I have to recuse myself from answering the trivia, I thought I'd share this Christmas memory. Forgive me if I've shared this before! :)

I have two older brothers and when we were growing up my parents would try to treat us "equally" at Christmas....so one year - when those remote control battery-operated toys came into vogue - my brothers both got remote control robots and I got a bear who played the drums. Unfortunately, my mom mislabled the packages, so when I opend my gift, it was a robot! Man was I excited! My 5-year old being loved it! However, my 10-year old brother was none too excited when he opened his gift and got a silly bear that played the drums.....and I had to give him my robot! I was so disappointed :( ......and have never gotten over it. :-)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Okay Since it is a favorite song of mine I am answering today.

Snow In Austin

Snow Globe Memory..... elementary school arts and craft project...

Bring in a baby food jar, glue some type of small plastic figurine to the inside of the cover... fill the jar with some type of thick liquid, part water and kyro syrup maybe and add silver glitter... screw top back on... I think we even added glue to the rim to help keep it sealed..give it a few good shakes and like MAGIC.... I had made a snow globe present for my mom... :mrgreen:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Patti - too cute a story there !
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Patti, you are the Day Two winner! Ditto that I will give you your prize when I see you later this month. And thanks for the snow globe story! :)

Stay tuned for Day Three tomorrow.....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:50 am

Day Three:

It's a snowy night, the cops shut down the freeway
big men in plows are out carving up the streets
-- Ellis Paul

Good Luck! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 am

Trolley Car!

Memory: Being told by my cousin when I was 7 that Santa was not real and to pretend I was sleeping, then sneak and see my parents putting the presents under the tree, which I did, and cried hysterically. Boy, was my cousin in trouble on Xmas day!!!!!!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Way to go Monica! :)

What a sad Christmas memory! You poor thing!

BTW.....I would invite and encourage anyone reading this thread to feel free to chime in with a Hanukkah/Christmas/Winter memory.

My maternal grandparents lived in Cleveland so there were many years when, if they weren't able to come to Pennsylvania for a visit, they would send a box of Christmas gifts for my brothers and me. I still remember the excitement when a big box of gifts arrived one time. It was when my family still lived in the house we moved from when I was five years old...so I had to have been younger than five. I think it's one of my earliest memories.

Oooh! That would be a great thread! Earliest memories! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 pm

I have many wonderful Xmas memories too, but that one always comes to mind first and I still give my cousin major league crap about to this day!

A funny one .... when my grandmother and my mother's aunt, who lived north of Boston, came to spend Xmas with us, someone would have to drive them home Xmas night. One year, my husband, who was my boyfriend at the time offered to take them home. Auntie Millie was a smoker, had horrible emphysema, but still smoked, so at the age of 80 something, she'd be sneaking cigarettes because my grandmother, her sister, would've killed her.

Anyway, on the ride home, Auntie Millie asks my husband to stop at the store for some milk and "could you pick up a pack of cigarettes for my neighbor, Trudy?" Kevin asks her what kind of cigarettes she smokes and Auntie Millie says, "ummmm, I think she smokes True," which of course was her brand. My grandmother starts yelling at Kevin telling him NOT to buy those cigarettes and this whole argument started in the car between the two sisters.

Poor Kevin didn't know what to do, but bought A. Millie the cigs and when he walked her up to her apartment, snuck them to her, so my grandmother never knew!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Visions of gun molls just danced in my head. ;-)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:34 pm

The two of them were something else. My Nana was this prim and proper lady while Auntie Millie was this tough Italian lady ... very gruff. Their parents owned a store when they were kids and they had an ice cream maker that the girls used to work (there were 5 sisters). One day someone was cranking the machine and A. Millie's pinky finger got cut off. A. Millie swore it was Nana and they argued about it not only on Xmas but basically every holiday. Can still hear them like it was yesterday.

When my A. Millie passed away, all of these people showed up at her wake stating that she was their "godmother." I found out years later that she used to run numbers!

Thanks for sparking some funny memories, Karen!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 am

Day Four:

"There’s a waitress at the table
With coffee, one shot
I threw ‘em back and weighed the options
Got an ache in me, an aching to drive on back
But it’s snowing clear to Virginia"
-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:12 am

1. Waking Up to Me

2. When I was four and a half we moved over Thanksgiving weekend (I was tickled that we were moving by Mayflower). As Christmas approached I was very concerned that Santa wouldn't be able to find us and there would be no presents under the tree. I obsessed and worried, finding no comfort in my parents' reassurances. I woke up very early Christmas morning. The new room I shared with my sister was just off the living room in which we had put up our tree. I peeked around the door and burst into tears because I didn't see a single present under the tree. I didn't realize that Santa had decided to place my brother's presents in the chair, my sister's presents at one end of the sofa, and my presents at the other end. Santa's new found organization really threw me!

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 am

Yay! An early winner today! Congratulations, Sue Ellen, for identifying a song from the new CD! :)

All these traumatic Christmas memories! :)

OK....here's a winter memory from my memory bank. I grew up on Fourth Street in Monongahela, PA which was a main artery through town....but the next street over - Third Street - which was literally only one house-width away, was a dead-end street, two blocks in length, that started as a steep hill and ended as a block-long straight-a-way. So it was PERFECT for sled-riding. :) In the winter all the neighborhood kids would converge at the top of Third Street with their sleds. Half-way down the hill we always built what we called a Yankee Bump - a mini-version of one of those Olympic ski jump hills. :) The goal was to see how fast your sled could go... which then in turn determined how far you'd go on the flat at the bottom. We would wax-paper the runners on the sleds to make them faster. The coolest part is that the city police would actually put up barricades at the top of the hill and on one side street so that no cars could ruin the fun or impinge on the sledders' safety. I remember adults coming out with cups of hot cocoa and after dark someone putting those little fire-pots around. And freezing my nose off. :-) As more sledders went down the hill, the snow became more packed and the course became faster. Oh....it was such fun. :) I had a Flexible Flyer that looked like this:

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who cried when we were young at Xmas time! Congrats Sue Ellen!

Karen, I LOVE the sledding story and your sled. I still have one of those that I use as a decoration on my front stoop these days.

We had a great hill next door as a kid. I had 4 brothers so would always hop on the back of one of their sleds. Out of the 4 boys, there was 1 that each and every time I went down the hill with him, we hit the 1 and only tree in the yard!!!! Took me a few times, but I finally figured out I wasn't riding with him anymore.

We have a great hill on the side of my current house. One year, I hosted Xmas and it actually snowed, so all of us adults went out sledding. Have some great pics from that Christmas!

Still love going out there with the kids at night even though the kids aren't really kids anymore, but they still love to sled!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 pm

What a great memory Karen!

Allow me to share a Christmas memory. :P

Frank was a very important part of my childhood. I was an adult before I found out how he came to be in our family. He was an older gentleman who spent his days in my father's pharmacy. He had no family and lived in a rooming house. Every year he spent Thanksgiving with us, and another family welcomed him at Christmas. One year it came up in conversation that that other family had moved away 2 years ago. From that year on, we had a full on Christmas dinner at the Greenbergs'.

I still miss Frank and his cigars, trying to "steal" my nose. :)

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Okay, tears rolling down me cheeks at the moment, Bonnie! Your story is the SPIRIT of the season!

Beautiful!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Day Five:

"It’s a white-line road
Through Hickory Grove
A cider house with frost on the eaves"
-- Ellis Paul

Oh yeah.....one of my favorites..... :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Taking my cue here for the song - one of my favorites as well - that I have only actually heard live via cellphone (thanks Karen !).

Welcome Home to Maine

A favorite holiday memory of mine - my father was the head of the engineering department at the only TV station for 150 miles around in northern Maine. One year there was a blizzard (okay more than one year, but in this one particular year) the last day of school before Christmas. We were let out early from school - and at one point the roads were bad enough the school bus even was stuck (near the end of the route). My father came by in the TV station's big 4 wheel drive truck, hauled the kids home, and then he let me ride shotgun as he went around bringing key people to and from the TV station to keep it operating. We stopped and pulled a bunch of people out of snowbanks as we went. It was a real treat to ride along with him.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Jeff,

Yay! Our former down-easter, now from away, is our winner! How apropo! :D

What a great winter memory! How old were you at the time? I can imagine how fun it must have been to have been with your dad rescueing folks out of snow banks!

Jeff, will we see you at any of the NYE shows? If lady luck continues not even one of the ten prizes will have to be mailed.... :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm

I am at the Dec 31 10 PM show for certain. I may also show up on Dec 30 - a friend has a boatload of tickets for that night and I am hoping maybe to bring my son to that show.

So bring it along - perhaps I can get someone to sign it while I am there :)

And NYE I need to buy a beverage for SusanH as partial recompense for whacking her in the back of the head last year.
Jeff

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 am

Great story, Jeff. Reminded me of a good deed I did in the Blizzard of 78. I was 13 at the time. The Nat'l Guard came in to our little old town and shut down any liquor store that was opened, because I guess there was a little problem. HA! Anyway, 2 of my brothers, who were of age to drink weren't too happy about that, so they took me with them and we walked to the next town. The Nat'l Guard actually had a road block set up at the town line. The boys bought their booze and handed the bag to 13-year-old me, who crossed the line without being questioned. The things I did for those boys!!!!

They got me out of a few jams down the road, though, so they evened the score!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am

It's a deal! And hope you can bring your son to a show! 8)

KarenZ
PotatoPicker wrote:So bring it along - perhaps I can get someone to sign it while I am there :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Day Six:

"It’s Christmas Day and the pecan pies are baking
Mothers say it’s the giving not the taking
My brother’s brand new bicycle is out jangling in the street
I watch him through the icicles with this wood box beneath my feet"
-- Ellis Paul

Although EP hasn't recorded this song yet, I got a sneak preview of it at The Mucky Duck in Houston, TX 2 or 3 years ago which was way cool. 8)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:58 pm

We got to hear this one (Little Wood Guitar) live at Eddie's Attic over Thanksgiving Weekend my gosh 2 years ago, now? It was an Ellis Paul weekend at the club with 2 adult shows and a kid's show. The last one was with Kristian Bush of Sugarland joining Ellis onstage for a show on Sunday night but by then we were homeward bound. :cry: I have to admit here that I was so looking forward to hearing Sugarland's version of the song and ultimately did somewhere, only to discover it bared little resemblance to the song we heard Ellis perform that night. Hope to hear it again soon and like it a bit more once I get the new CD in house.

Things change, they change alot. This is the first Christmas in our house where our son, Michael, almost 11, knows how the gifts really come down the chimney and under the tree. So, it's no carrots for Santa's reindeer or Cookies and Milk for Jolly Ol' Saint Nick. No, not this year. Now that he's onto us, he's got a whole other strategy to score big ticket items he feels he's been good enough this year to deserve. I suppose he has, and I suppose we'll cave, with him knowing if it doesn't drop on Christmas morning it can be taken care of on some other special occasion like his birthday which follows soon after.

It hasn't quite hit me yet, or maybe it just has, the importance of embracing the everyday things one might take for granted, like say, that your child still believes in something as wonderful and magical as Santa Claus. Wonder what he thinks of us not leveling with him all these years? Wonder if he doubts some of the other things we tell him are real?

Something tells me I'll have a touch of the Elvis Presley this Christmas with his words, I'll have a blue Christmas, without you, circling in the back corners of my mind as I realize he realizes the gig's up. Our son's a little older now, and an innocence lost. Things change, they change alot!

Ho Ho How the heck did he find out? I wasn't quite ready for the change!

:cry:

Talk about changes, thanks to the Tiger Woods Saga playing out on our television screens, and the word fling being introduced into our young son's long list of vocabulary words, I'll close out with another little ditty:

Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees and oh my ~ they grow up so very fast, don't they? :shock:

Happy Holidays Ya'll!!!

:D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Paddy,

Congratulations on being our Day Six winner! I've got your number. ;-)

Thanks too for sharing your thoughts about Christmas with an 11-year old. Here's a little something you can read to Michael....maybe start a new tradition! :)

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for the link Karen... Paddy we are going thru the same thing here... it is sad but I am trying to find a new tradition and new outlook...

I have to say it has been a beautiful, fun 18 years of Santa coming to my house.. My husband thought I was crazy putting lots of effort into making sure certain things were done just so, to help the magic keep going. I have smart girls but I really kept them believing for a long time.. :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm 50 and change and am just now knowing whereby the words "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" originated. In all my days I never once wondered where they came from or where they were first spoke. I suppose I thought it was a famous line in a movie that I grew up not watching but one surely my father had watched for he was one I heard uttering those seven words on numerous occasions. As the oldest of five children, and then again as the father of five children, each reaching that point in childhood where they stopped to say "wait a minute" I'm sure the story of how Virginia's question came to be answered was one he kept near and dear to his heart. Having had his own share of life's struggles, he seemed to often lean on the simple things in life. Like this sentiment. I love it. Thanks for sharing this with me today, Karen. Now I know, the rest of the story. Not sure our skeptical son will buy any of it, and I doubt I'll even try to sell it to him, but it's nice to know perhaps he can someday sell it to his kids when the time comes that they too doubt.

Thanks for the prize and fun trivia thread, too. I'll wrap it up and gift it to someone I know will appreciate the sentiments found in the gift and the songs found residing on The Day After Everything Changed. Guess there's a universality to those simple yet profound five words.

Happy Holidays!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:31 am

Paddy, I can so relate to what you are going through. I was so bummed when my daughter, I think at the same age as your son, learned the deal about Santa.

The past 2 years, I've gotten the blues big time while decorating for 2 reasons. Last year, both kids were out due to their social lives and I decorated alone, which really killed me. I think I cried through the whole process.

This year, the kids helped, but I got the "are we almost done" because of course, they had plans!

The second thing is I have so many decorations that were my mom's, both grandmothers, aunts, etc. and I get very melancholy pulling that stuff out, but always feel so much better the next day when I come down the stairs and see a little bit of all my angels hanging around my house.

I told my husband maybe I needed another kid, but he told me his baby making days are over. I tried that one when Dragonfly Races came out too and got the same response!

We just have to keep the child-like spirit alive and let the memories of the days gone by bring a big ol' smile to our faces.

RE: Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus ..... they made a 1/2 hour animated show out of it. I watched it last Friday night while putting the light on the tree with my daughter. Cried like a baby when they read the letter!

They're all happy tears though and I've sure been having my fair share of those these days!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am

Perfect! :)

KarenZ
paddyinthepub wrote:Thanks for the prize and fun trivia thread, too. I'll wrap it up and gift it to someone I know will appreciate the sentiments found in the gift and the songs found residing on The Day After Everything Changed. Guess there's a universality to those simple yet profound five words.

Happy Holidays!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:25 am

Day Seven:

"Weather advisory, one for the diaries
Windy and cold so stay off the road
It's bitter outside your windows
Stack your blankets, light your candles"
-- Ellis Paul

I had just turned ten the first Christmas after Barbie dolls came into being. Although I really wanted one, my mom thought I was too old for a doll. :shock: I remember how disappointed I was....and jealous that a friend who was 2 or 3 years younger than me and lived next door, had several! I lamented the fact many times over the years and into adulthood. I'm sure as an adult I even told my mom how "damaged" I was as a result of not ever having a Barbie. Well...I guess I whined about it one too many times, because in 2001 at age 52, my husband Mike surprised me with a Barbie for Christmas. She's a "Holiday excitment" Barbie wearing a long, sleek, silver dress with white fur around the wrists and on her holiday excitement hat. The box also includes a silver bracelet for the owner which declares:
"Wow! A pretty bracelet for you! From Barbie!"

So...I finally got my Barbie. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. :)

Here's me and Barbie. Pre-digital camera, so I had to scan this photo. :)

Me and Barbie

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Karen, what a great story. It just goes to show that it is never too late. That, and your Mike was a very observant and thoughtful fellow.

Paddy, since you are the only winner so far that requires postage, I think you and Mrs Paddy need to come to Passim for the shows and prize delivery. :mrgreen:

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:52 pm

First tears of the day (I think). Karen, that's a beautiful story and I LOVE the picture!

Becky

Postby Becky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Has anyone answered today's trivia??? I hope I'm right, but I think the answer is "Blizzard." I know it's from Say Something.

I remember we used to go to Christmas Eve over at my Grandmother's house in Tishomingo, OK. She had an old house that sat high up on a hill overlooking a large creek. It had a large front porch with a swing and I remember going outside one Christmas Eve...I must have been 4 or 5, but I would have sworn I saw Santa and the reindeer up in the sky. I got so excited I ran back inside to tell everyone. All of the adults must have thought I was crazy. But I really thought I had seen Santa and his sleigh, so I was such a believer for a few more years anyway. It was rare for it to snow in Oklahoma on Christmas Eve, but that night it did, so we couldn't drive back home. It just seemed like a really magical night.

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Becky, how right you are! Congratulations! It's so nice to hear from someone from way out west! :)

What a great story! Nice to know you had snow on Christmas Eve! I know for a fact that Oklahoma gets ice storms in December! :mrgreen:

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm

MonicaR,

Didn't mean to make you cry....although it is kind of a bittersweet memory! It's all good! Honest! :)

KarenZ

monicar wrote:First tears of the day (I think). Karen, that's a beautiful story and I LOVE the picture!

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Great story, Becky, and congrats on the win. Oklahoma has the coolest names for towns!!!

Karen, they weren't sad tears, really. What a very thoughtful man your husband was! All of these tears are good ....... I'm cleansing my soul from all the crap in 2009 and clearing out the cobwebs, preparing for 2010.

I'm even thinking of being one of the crazies that jumps in the ocean on January 1, although I'm afraid I'll have a heart attack, so my son recommended we just go down and splash water on our faces or just put our feet in. Sorta like that idea better!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:59 pm

You go girl! Do it! :)

KarenZ

monicar wrote:I'm even thinking of being one of the crazies that jumps in the ocean on January 1, although I'm afraid I'll have a heart attack, so my son recommended we just go down and splash water on our faces or just put our feet in. Sorta like that idea better!

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:10 pm

I have been thinking about it for a few years now. Figure I've been in 45 degree water in April, so it can't be much worse than that, right? Think I'll make sure someone who knows CPR is there though, just in case!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:36 am

Day Eight:

Yowza. I'd been sleeping in a snow globe town this morning! I suspect most of us on the eastern seaboard are snowed in this morning.....so I had to go with this:

"I think snowfall should be measured
By how much it takes a city by surprise
By how far back old timers go to remember
the last time a blizzard stung their eyes"
-- Ellis Paul

Early bird catches the prize this morning! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 am

Good morning, Karen! No snow here yet, but we are waiting patiently for it to reach us.

This is one of my FAVORITE Ellis songs, however, I think I say that about 99.9% of his songs.

Have a great day and enjoy the snow!

xxoo,
Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:30 am

Oh, the weather outside is frightful....

Here's the view of my driveway taken from the front porch:
Driveway

Here's the view of the back yard taken from the front porch:
Yard

Paddy, how are things over there in eastern PA?

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:33 am

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

When did it start out your way, Karen?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:04 am

Monica, I'm not sure. It was fine when I went to bed last night around 10pm, but when I woke up around 5am it was a winter wonderland. I didn't think we were supposed to get anythng! :?

Karenz

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”