Hanukkah, Christmas, Solstice 10-Day Trivia - Daily Prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

monicar

Re: Hanukkah, Christmas, Solstice 10-Day Trivia - Daily Prize!

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:10 am

Being so close to the coast, we're supposed to get a foot, at least, so they say. They are saying it's going to be light though. Phew!!!!

And, I'm so thankful it's happening on a weekend where I have the men to help.

I got stuck so many times last year where it started snowing in the morning and I had to shovel the driveway by myself so my husband and son could get in. My driveway is like a short street, so it's a job to say the least to do it by myself, but I must say, I enjoy shoveling. Great exercise! And since, you are no longer on FB, I will share with you that I am trying to quit smoking for the 9000th time. Started chewing the gum yesterday. One smoke early this a.m. and so far so good. Shoveling would be a great distraction actually!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:16 am

Good for you !

monicar wrote:I'm even thinking of being one of the crazies that jumps in the ocean on January 1, although I'm afraid I'll have a heart attack, so my son recommended we just go down and splash water on our faces or just put our feet in. Sorta like that idea better!

monicar - anyone can jump in on January 1st. Go on January 2nd ! :)
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:17 am

I know you can do it! :)

KarenZ
monicar wrote:I will share with you that I am trying to quit smoking for the 9000th time. Started chewing the gum yesterday. One smoke early this a.m. and so far so good. Shoveling would be a great distraction actually!
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:19 am

KarenZ - thanks for the picture and thr egreat story yesterday. A wonderful Christmas moment and memory.

monicar - good luck with the other things as well. You can do it.

No snow here in southeastern mass yet, but looking for 15 inches or so starting this evening. Have a friend of Matt's who is supposed to fly out to Milwaukee tomorrow at 11 AM - not looking likely.....

Be safe all - shovel slowly, take plenty of breaks, enjoy the white stuff.
Jeff

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:25 am

Figure if I stop smoking now, I have a better chance of surviving the dunk in the ocean!!!

Jeff, funny you mention January 2. I'm actually going to be by the sea on the 2nd. Over the past years, a bunch of us have been smashing and burying colored glass on the beach. We are seaglass nuts, so it's like we are planting for summer harvesting. The amazing thing is, it works. We have smashed red glass in the past, which is a very hard color to find, but we've been finding it ever since we started doing this.

Every year though, I'm sorta awaiting an Arlo Guthrie Garbage Dump sorta thing to happen, where we all get arrested for littering!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 am

Hmmmm.....please tell us more about this activity....

KarenZ
monicar wrote:Over the past years, a bunch of us have been smashing and burying colored glass on the beach. We are seaglass nuts, so it's like we are planting for summer harvesting. The amazing thing is, it works. We have smashed red glass in the past, which is a very hard color to find, but we've been finding it ever since we started doing this.

Every year though, I'm sorta awaiting an Arlo Guthrie Garbage Dump sorta thing to happen, where we all get arrested for littering!
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:59 am

Well, first, we spend the summer drinking as much as possible. HA! Just kidding. The wine drinkers do buy Luna Deluna or however you spell that which comes in a blue bottle, Skyy Vodka too. In the past, I have actually gone out to stores a few days after Xmas and bought red plates and glasses that no one bought for Xmas, for a buck a piece. One year, I had both kids put their arms out and loaded them up and told them to be careful on the way to the cash register. My daughter asked why, since we were just going to smash it anyway. Too funny.

We dig a big hole in the sand, put all the glass in, then take turns smashing huge rocks, thus shattering the glass. We cover up the hole with sand and let nature take it's course. When I get a minute at some point, I will post pictures of before the smash and after the smash!

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:13 am

If you said already, can you say again: what do sand and nature do to the smashed glass? Thnx!

"On the radio (and tv, and computer, and cell phone) storm warnings...it's snowing clear (from Maine) to Virginia"

It's been years since I've seen this much snow. I was relieved this morning to find I stll know how to drive in it, and tickled that my little prius was able to manuever up some steep, snow covered hills. Perfect weather as we approach the solstice. You all be safe out there.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:19 am

The sand/water/motion of it tumbling smooth the glass. My mother started collecting it when I was probably about 7 or so. We would walk the beach for miles and stop in every pebble pile and look. To this day, I cannot walk the beach without looking down. Does a number on your neck!!!!

It's beautiful stuff. My friend's daughter has been making jewelry out of it and I got a beautiful pair of earring in our recent Yankee Swap and it all came from our beach. I will post some pics of the finished product too when I get a chance.

I have it in various size jars all around the house ...... green, brown, clear, blue, aqua, red, orange, yellow (the last 3 of which are colors you would normally never find but due to our seeding, we've found them)!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:51 am

Wow! Who knew? But I'm starting to get a clue! :)

I love Wikipedia!:

Seaglass

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:14 pm

See how they said red is very rare???? I'm not telling anyone where my beach is. HA!

There's a group on the web that I joined but really haven't had much time to look through it, however did get to look at some projects people did with the stuff. There were some really cool things. Some day, when I have the time, I will create with it. I love to craft, but haven't had time for that in years.

Someone gave me a book about seaglass a few years back which was very interesting. They said factories along the shore are some of the best places to look because they used to just toss all the glass out the window.

There's black glass too, which I guess were from plates in the 1800s or something like that. They contain some sort of metal and can be found using a metal detector!!!! There's also a fluorescent kind that turns colors under a black light due to some chemical that was in it. Can't say I've found any black of fluorescent though.

There's a seaglass beach somewhere in Hawaii, I believe. My friends and I think we should fly down with empty suitcases and fill them up!

A memory from my childhood. My parents and I went over to one of the Boston Harbor Islands for a tour. I think I was about 10. We walked along the beach there, back when Boston Harbor was terribly polluted. There were HUGE pieces of seaglass and my mother was in her glory. We had nothing to put it in other than our pockets, so we looked like crazy people taking the boat back to Boston with every pocket we had bulging with seaglass!!!!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 pm

monicar - can you just warn me which beach so that I don't go barefoot ther e? ;)

SueEllen - glad to hear your car and your driving are handling it well. Stay safe.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:27 pm

I love reading all the holiday memories!

BUT.....still looking for today's prize winner! :D

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Marshfield! That's why we do it in the winter. Figure everybody will have their shoes on.

We bury it as deep as we can too and I'd bet by the next high tide, the stuff is taken right out into the ocean.

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Karen, I was just thinking you might want to repost that. I've been yakking too much this morning. No smoking, so I'm more verbal. HA!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Yak away! I'm loving it! :)

OK....here's a reminder of today's Day Eight quiz:

"I think snowfall should be measured
By how much it takes a city by surprise
By how far back old timers go to remember
the last time a blizzard stung their eyes"
-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:25 pm

(Thank you all for letting me yak and fill up this thread with non-related stuff. I am off and running, so I won't take up any more space. Have a sweet day and be safe out in the snow!)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm going for it - Trolley Car and my Christmas/New Year memory comes from last year when we, that is Karen, Richard, Dean, Elaine and I travelled on the T from Harvard to the Hynes Convention Centre to see Ellis, Don and Rad perform a children's show.

As we were on the T we were living Trolley Car for real: Dean and Elaine were listening to it on the i-pod with each plugged into one side of the ear-piece. Karen I think that you might have a photo of them 'living the song'

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 pm

P.S. I should have said that I am so enjoying reading all your memories - keep 'em comin'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Jela,

You're our winner for today! Thanks for the great memory too! :-)

Here's the Trolley Car moment: :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Nice! See how they're sharing the ear piece.

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 pm

Another great picture and story combo !
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Great Picture... Great Song...

Monica.. we will have to discuss in person the art of sea glass!!

I have a nice collection myself.. I would love to see some that you have made..... so much is manufactured in tumblers now.. but you can really tell the difference from wear and tear of sand,stone and waves.. the more triangular the piece the older or longer it has been rolling around on the shore... I have a couple of gold mine spots that you can only get to by boat... which my husband is happy oblige and bring me out "glassing" Well he does it so he can go fishing.. but..we're both happy :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:14 am

Patti, I will bring my prized red piece when I see you, as well as wear my earrings which came from my beach!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:33 am

Day Nine is an oldier but a goodie:

"Chasing the child in winter
Her lips, they are chapped from the cold
He is throwing light snowballs from the drifts in the yard
They land at her feet in the snow"
-- Ellis Paul

I suspect his one is gonna be tough..... :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:18 pm

hmmm... it certainly is a tuff one..

Usually when I don't know a line, I find it in the book Notes from the Road.. but I honestly don't recall these words at all...

I like them, alot, just have no idea where they come from!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:26 am

I guess I stumped the panel! :shock: The answer to Day Nine is "The Love Remains" from Urban Folk Songs :!:
KarenZ wrote:Day Nine is an oldier but a goodie:

"Chasing the child in winter
Her lips, they are chapped from the cold
He is throwing light snowballs from the drifts in the yard
They land at her feet in the snow"
-- Ellis Paul

I suspect his one is gonna be tough..... :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:47 am

Folks,

As I stated originally, today - the First Day of Winter - ends our 10-day contest. I thought I'd end the contest with a few words about Hanukkah and Christmas taken from a book that I'm reading called Simple Abundance. Rest assured that I will tie this to Ellis Paul. :)

After a three-year guerilla campaign, the Maccabees were victorious and the temple was restored to Jewish worship. As part of their rededication ceremony (the word "Hanukkah" means dedication) the Maccabees began an eight-day purification rite, only to discover there was barely enough sacred oil to keep the temple menorah - a candleabrum with eight branches - lit for one day. Miraculously, the temple lamp burned continuoulsy for eight days. Ever since that time the Jewish people have observed Hanukkah in remembrance of their struggle for religious freedom and the miracle of restoration, symbolized by the abundance of oil. [stuff deleted then:] If it weren't for Hanukkah, we wouldn't be celebrating Christmas. There would have been no Jewish community for Jesus to have been born into. [stuff deleted then:] Those who follow the Christian path will discover, if they search for their roots, that by faith, they belong to the House of David. Jesus lived his entire life as an observant Jew. He celebrated Hanukkah as a child; the last supper was a Passover seder. The crowds who came to hear him called him "Rabbi", the Hebrew word for teacher. Perhaps our similarites and heritage are greater than our differences after all.

Then finally:

Sacred oil in a temple. Loaves and fishes on a mountainside. Miracles are of Spirit, not any one faith. Miracles are for anyone who believe. That is the heart of Hanukkah and the Soul fo Christmas. The more we allow ourselves to recognize the wisdom and truth in other spiritual paths, the closer to wholeness we become.

I think Ellis Paul says it best when he wrote: "Embrace what you have in common; celebrate what sets you apart."

Which brings us to Day Ten:

"Gonna whittle down the Scriptures
the Bible, the Koran
Gonna whittle 'em down to one phrase
any fool could understand
'love your fellow man' "
-- Ellis Paul

Happy Solstice! :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:58 am

Happy Solstice indeed ! Perhaps the peace that I see looking out over my snow covered backyard this morning can spread to one and all this season.

From President John Kennedy's address to American University:
So let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's futures. And we are all mortal.
Jeff

BillE

Postby BillE » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Karen:

"9 months to fix the world".

Christmas Story? I lived in Santa Fe, NM in 1987. On Christmas Eve we got about a foot of snow (remember I'm from Louisiana - snow is always a special thing). A group of us walked around town in the freshly fallen snow and marveled at the luminarias (small bags filled with sand and candles) that bordered every path. Halfway through our walk, I was introduced to a young lady who joined us on our walk. In storybook fashion, she later became my wife (not important which one...).

Bill

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:32 am

BillE, you got it! So nice to have Texas represented in our 10-day contest! :)

And thanks for the memory! I have always wanted to go to Santa Fe for Christmas to see the luminaria! Maybe someday! :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:48 am

It's been years - 3 maybe ? since we last heard 9 Months to Fix the World. I loved that song.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:24 am

Folks,

Thankfully the majority of prize winners were in Boston so I was able to hand them their CD prize, but I have three CD prizes that will be mailed today or tomorrow...so Paddy, BeckyG, and BillE, you should be getting yours in a few days. :)

Thanks again everyone for participating! :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:08 am

Thank you ! Someone somewhere is hopefully becoming a new fan thanks to it !
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 am

I sent my winning copy to South Carolina, in hopes of it spreading his music down there... Ellis is playing Columbia South Carolina in Feb. for the first time and I am encouraging some friends and family to make a big showing for me!!

Also just preoreded the CD on Amazon for the release on the 12th. I need that to get to my sister in Albuquerque by the 22 so she can get it signed in person when he is out there in a few weeks...

Start spreading the news...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 am

Great, Patti! Keep spreading the word! :)

My son went to the post office for me yesterday (Friday), so the 3 CDs are in the mail! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 am

My CD went to NYC to my brother, but he's already a fan!!

Today is rescheduled seaglass smash day. In case anyone was wondering, I will NOT be going in the ocean, although the water is probably warmer than the air!

There's always next year, eh?

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Mine went to a friend in Virginia (!?) who I haven't seen for years, but got her to listen to a little bit of his music a few weeks ago and she was interested. Didn't hurt that she remembers running in the same State Cross-Country Championships that he won a couple of years back.....
Jeff

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”