Sept. 23, 2009 - Happy 60th Birthday Bruce Springsteen

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Sept. 23, 2009 - Happy 60th Birthday Bruce Springsteen

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:37 am

Folks,

Bruce Springsteen turns 60 today! :shock: Happy Birthday Boss! :)

Probably the strongest connection between Bruce Springsteen and Ellis Paul is Woody Guthrie. Did you know that back in September 1996 Ellis and Bruce were part of a group of musicians who performed at a tribute to Woody Guthrie at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland? Nora Guthrie invited Ellis to be part of the special celebration. Other performers included Ani DiFranco, Billy Bragg, The Indigo Girls, Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe McDonald, and many others. Three years later, Ani DiFranco released a compilation CD of the celebration titled Til We Outnumber 'Em on her Righteous Babe label. (Although Ellis does not perform on the CD, Nora Guthrie thanks him in the liner notes.)

The Bruce Springsteen thread here on the board is terrific. I'll send a copy of the Til We Outnumber 'Em CD to the first person who can find the answers to these two questions in the Bruce Springsteen thread here on the board.

1. Which board member wrote:
He's probably the only person I'd go to see in a large arena

2. Which board member wrote:
Fast forward several years and I want to impress my then girlfriend (now wife) by taking her to see Bruce Springsteeen in concert.

I think this is what is referred to as an open book quiz. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Re: Sept. 23, 2009 - Happy 60th Birthday Bruce Springsteen

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:53 am

I know I know!!

Without even looking I know the answer to #2.

It's the same board member that got tickets to see the Boss for his own milestone birthday. The big Five-oh. Mr. Inthepub. :mrgreen:

#1 took a little research. It's Jela. As someone who has sat next to her in a basement listening to music, I agree about arena shows.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:28 am

We have a winner! Bonnie, you crack me up. :-) Yes, it was indeed Mr. InthePub and Jela who made those spell-binding comments about today's birthday boy. :)

Your prize will be in the mail within a few days. Did you notice the track listing? Arlo's Til We Outnumber 'Em story that precedes "This Land is Your Land" on the last track is priceless. Enjoy! :)

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:I know I know!!

Without even looking I know the answer to #2.

It's the same board member that got tickets to see the Boss for his own milestone birthday. The big Five-oh. Mr. Inthepub. :mrgreen:

#1 took a little research. It's Jela. As someone who has sat next to her in a basement listening to music, I agree about arena shows.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks Karen. I like the idea of "Name That Board Member" :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Great quiz! Yes Bonnie look forward to our next basement show whenever it might be!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:05 pm

We all like to go slumming, it seems. ;)

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:Great quiz! Yes Bonnie look forward to our next basement show whenever it might be!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:10 pm

For some reason Ellis' words to Karen in front of a group of devotees gathered on Karen's front porch after the recent house concert she hosted come to mind.....

"It's weird being someone's hobby"

:P

I missed this thread til just now...love it, too!!! :D

Although it is a little weird being part of a trivia question!! I sat here reading through those quotes and thought hey wait a minute....."I resemble that remark"

I feel your pain, Ellis. :lol:

Congratulations Bonnie!!!!

Fun times, Karen!!!

Happy Birthday Broooooooooooooooooooooooce!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”