Today (Aug. 9) in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Aug. 9) in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:11 am

"From a chair in the kitchen
I watched her live her life in a batting cage
Swingin' through jobs, through her family
Then it hit me, it grabbed me
She's winding up like Satchel Page" -- Ellis Paul

On Aug. 9, 1971 LeRoy Satchel Paige, one of baseball’s pitching legends, was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.

On his 42nd birthday in 1948, Satchel Paige was sold to the Cleveland Indians becoming the oldest player to make his major league debut....and helped the Indians win the pennant.

Can you name the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above? Click here for answer.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

BillE

Postby BillE » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:59 am

Independence Day. Never have understood that line...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Which line? Winding up like Satchel Paige?

KarenZ

BillE wrote:Independence Day. Never have understood that line...
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 pm

BillE...I know what ya mean.

That happens alot in this genre with me. I'll learn songs and sing along yet if I stop to dissect I sometimes just scratch my head and wonder what was meant by this line or that line.

That's a classic example, isn't it? You just want to know if yer missin something?

In this case, I think it's mostly clever wordplay on Ellis' part.

As opposed to her "ending up" I think "winding up" just refers to the fact that Satchell Paige was a pitcher who "winds up" before delivering every pitch.

Probably way deeper than that but I usually don't go there often. Gets in the way sometime trying to figure out these wordsmiths and what they may or may not have been tring to say about someone in song. I believe this song was selected as SONG OF THE WEEK a while back so maybe we could continue the train of thought over there. Someone is bound to know for sure what that line means....Ellis? :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”