June 4 in music trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

bonuela

June 4 in music trivia

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Today is the 20th anniversary of Tiananman Sqaure.

For absolutely no prize at all. Who can name the EP song that mentions this tragedy?
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: June 4 in music trivia

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 pm

I know! I know! I know! :)

There's one line in that song that always gives me goosebumps and makes me cry. And it's not "Maria's Beautiful Mess" (the other EP song that makes me cry.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:53 pm

BTW, Bonnie. I mailed your prize from last week's trivia on Monday.....so check your mailbox today..... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Having strolled through Tienamin Square a few times mid 80's about 8 months prior to the tanks rolling in to squash the demonstrations I too was brought to tears watching the story unfold on tv and have to admit certain goosebumps every time Ellis gets to the line of the song that mentions the tanks in Tienamin. The song of course is 'Did Gallileo Pray?

More hyjinx witnessed today from Tienamin Square as reporters from this country are on the ground thre trying to file reports on this the 20th anniversary of the event. Government officials dressed in plain clothes circled around tv crews holding up newspapers and raising open parasol umbrellas so as to block the cameraman from actually getting his reporter on tape -- and thus world wide television. Very strange sight to see...all these years later! :shock:

Thanks for the timely trivia today, Bonnie.... 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:49 am

NPR's Morning Edition had a great piece on this topic on Wednesday morning. The piece provided a substantial history of the events that took place in Tiananmen Square over the two month period of protest, and explored the lives and reflections of three student leaders from that period. Click here to read/listen to the story. Thanks for the reminder Bonnie of how events from around the world are relevant and impactful in our lives.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”