April 27 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

April 27 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:04 am

Folks,

I enjoy reminiscing as I look back over my list of shows in tracking down trivia. Turns out I've been to shows on April 26 three times: Columbus, OH in 1998 (my first house concert!), Houston, TX in 2001 and Vienna, VA in 2008. Actually, as I look back over the list, shows seems to blossom at the end of April. :) Texas road trips have been some of the best. The one at the end of April 2001 garnered six EP shows, plus a bonus Vance Gilbert show at the Mucky Duck in Houston, the day I arrived (Apr. 24). Traveling from Houston to Austin with Bill Eley we took in shows at the Cactus Cafe (Austin, 25th), two shows at the Mucky Duck (Houston, 26th), one show at the Camp St. Cafe (Crockett, 27th) then north to the Blue Door in OKC for shows on April 28 and 29. Friend Katrin from Germany was with us, and BeckyG drove down from OKC to join us for the show in Crockett as I recall.

Ellis signed this photo that now hangs on the wall of the Camp St. Cafe eight years ago today:

Ellis pulled out some new covers: we heard "I can't make you love me" for the first time in Austin, "house of the rising sun" at the Mucky Duck, and "minor key" for the first time in OKC (we had to provide the lyrics) :-)......but today's trivia has to do with a brand new song EP rolled out that weekend. He was writing it on the patio of the Blue Door before the show.....and it contains these lines:

You know who I am
Put a little faith in me
If you need some space on a shoulder

It was recorded for Speed of Trees. Any guesses? :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: April 27 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 am

All I can say is round round get around you get around...... :D

What a long strange trip it's been....you need to get going on that book, Miss Kitty! :wink:

I believe the answer to the excellent trivia question today is: Give in Give up
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:40 am

You got it Paddy! :)

"I get around" was one of my favorite Beachboy songs when I was a teen. How did you know? 8)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:19 am

A confession.....Give in Give up not one my favorite EP tunes back in the day. Not sure why. Maybe because I had so many other favorites that I felt this one in a setlist stole the spot of another song I preferred to hear Ellis play that night. But son of a gun....I started humming the tune to the lyrics here in hopes I could nail the answer to the song the lyrics belong to and whatdya know? It came right back. Now, more than ever, I want to hear this song on the CD player and even more, Live on a stage somewhere. Anywhere!!!

Methinks Ellis gave in gave up on this song live........ :P
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:47 am

Folks,

This is a picture of Christopher Williams holding the lyrics to "Minor Key" for Ellis. (Blue Door 4-28-01) We printed the lyrics via computer and only had duct tape to hold the sheets together. :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:40 am

Gotta love duct tape. Great picture!

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”