Feb. 3 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Feb. 3 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 am

Folks,

It was 50 years ago today that the music died. The photo below shows EP visiting the fan monument in a private cornfield near Clear Lake, Iowa where the plane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper went down on Feb. 3, 1959.

Not sure if it was intentional, but EP gives a nod to Holly in one of his earliest songs. Can anyone guess what the connection is? Do you need another hint? OK.....think a girl's name...... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: Feb. 3 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Karen

I can name that tune in 5 minutes....apparently! :shock: Your hints were most excellent in helping me track down the track on one of Ellis' older records. I'd forgotten that one but with the help of the lyrics page here on the website I was able to find it with minimal effort. Thanks for the wonderful trivia, as always! :)

I want a prize and I want it now!!! ~ Veruca ~ :P

Only kidding.....but I will allow others the challenge of finding the answer to this one.

Additional hopefully helpful hint......ask yourself.....where are you? Maybe at work......maybe not!!! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Completely stumped me today Karen - nice job........ That annoyed me, so I spent the last 10 minutes searching the old lyrics until I found the answer. Which I will now keep to myself so other folks can pitch in. :lol:

I'll have to play some American Pie tonight, or maybe go way back to some Buddy Holly... I wonder if the kids will appreciate it ?
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:34 pm

The only song that I can think of which features Buddy Holly is 'Blacktop Train' and that's not the right answer because it's not old.

Becky - Lyric Queen - where are you when we need you most????

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Jela,

"Blacktop Train" is another terrific connection! :)

Paddy, Jeff, if you know the earlier song/reference post the answer!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I want the answer and I want the answer posted, now!!! ~ Veruca Salt :P

Very well, then..........here ya go!!! :D

New Light On Your Halo
from Am I Home

And it ain't shining, it ain't shining, shine, shine, shine...
There's cracks in the walls in the town of Jericho, Sirens blaring out a lifetime never told Rembrandt at the wall his palate's small, his hopes are tall He writes his name, his claim to fame

On red bricks bright white
Hey pretty thing, voices out a window sing A Puerto Rican Peggy Sue of seventeen in yellow shoes
All are out tonight You might say they're looking for some action A dog strays, music plays, kids stay in the streets all day
They see the man in the black coat as a form of satisfaction

© Ellis Paul/End Construction Publishing (ASCAP) 1992
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Well done Paddy - you got it!

Watching the TV news this evening there was a tribute to Buddy Holly and they showed the grave side /memorial where Ellis is pictured, by the way whose photo is it?

One of my long time favourites, Joe Ely (swoon!) is playing tonight at Clear Lake Iowa in a tribute concert. Would I love to be there? You betcha – here’s the line up:

CONCERT: 50 Winters Later Commemorative Concert
Artists Scheduled to Appear:
Tommy Allsup
Big Bopper JR
The Crickets
Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens
Joe Ely
Wanda Jackson
Los Lobos
Los Lonely Boys
Delbert McClinton
Chris Montez
Cousin Brucie Morrow
Graham Nash
Peter & Gordon
Sir Tim Rice
Bobby Vee
and special guests TBA
House Band:
Kenny Aronoff
Chuck Leavell
Bobby Keys
Hutch Hutchinson

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:
Watching the TV news this evening there was a tribute to Buddy Holly and they showed the grave side /memorial where Ellis is pictured, by the way whose photo is it?

Jela

Thanks Jela........I'd like to accept this award on behalf of Jeff Potato Picker who also had it! :D

Let's see...whose photo is it?

Is it: Dean or Karen or Flynn or Antje or Ralph or Rachael or Richard??? :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:17 pm

Folks,

I was never able to credit the photo, but Ellis may remember who took it. It was taken when EP was in Clear Lake, Iowa to play a gig at the Surf Ballroom on June 3, 2005 (where Buddy, Ritchie and Big Bopper played their last show)....and shortly after that I found the photo on the Internet...I think possibly on the Surf Ballroom website.... :?

WYEP is doing a 2-hour tribute right now (4-6pmEST). The first song played was "Peggy Sue". :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Right now WYEP is playing Bob Dylan covering Buddy Holly's "If not for you". According to what I just heard on WYEP, Dylan says he first got "starstruck" at a Buddy Holly show in January 1959 - supposedly when Buddy Holly, who was only a couple feet away, looked right at him.

The list of artists who credit Holly as being a big influence is pretty amazing.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 pm

oooooops :oops:

sorry about that, Jela.......I misread to believe you knew whose photo it was and were posing add'l trivia.

mea culpa.....I was trying to place Richard, and others, somehow, at the scene! :wink:

Tuned in late to the thread this evening....would have been nice to listen in online....thx Karen. :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm

A recent interview with Buddy Holly's widow, Maria Elena, is linked here.

Spinner interview with Maria Elena
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks, Paddy. Nice interview.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Karen

Glad you enjoyed it.....me too! :)

Say....wasn't their an occasion where Ellis met Buddy Holly's widow, Maria Elena? I thought I read about it here on the forum in years past....could it be that she was the one that snapped the photo???

Kinda doubt it, but ya never know! :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Paddy,

I can't say that I ever remember hearing anything along those lines.....but my memory isn't the best. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Karen.....my memory ain't what she used to be............. :wink:
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”