Jan. 27 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Jan. 27 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:38 am

"Weather advisory, one for the diaries, windy and cold so stay off the road
[snip]
Two hundred miles to Chicago, my eyes froze to the road" -- Ellis Paul

Good morning folks,

I'm home this morning since we're under a weather advisory. Thanks to Patti for the gift of the 2009 weather calendar for this morning's trivia. :)

It was on this date in 1967 (too many years ago to have inspired the EP song) ;) that Chicago had it's largest single snowfall in history - 23 inches. (The snow actually started falling the day before.) See the Chicago Tribune story at the link below:

The Chicago Blizzard of 1967

Can anyone name the EP song containing the lines of lyric above? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Re: Jan. 27 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 am

I have no idea........... :P

Actually not true......this was once one of my all time favorite EP songs...... 8)

I sit here this morning wondering if I ever heard Ellis play it live. I'm sure we did, once upon a time. :P

It must be one of those songs Ellis played one too many times back in the day and then put to pasture. :(

When I read on the forum that Ellis has driven thru blizzard like conditions to get to a show I half expect to read a post that contains "this song" in the setlist. Perhaps some fine day, but probably in the thick of a heat wave...just to cool things off!!! :lol:

Bottom line: Great Song!!! Fun trivia!!! Snow forecasted here today!!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Great song - I think I will go spin it up in honor of the storm hitting us tomorrow.

Paddy I am trying to remember if I have heard him play this live or not. I feel like I did way back in the day - but it would have been many years ago now so I cannot say with 10o% certainty.

Maybe we should request it in Natick next weekend.......

Speaking of the weather, meant to post this back when we were in the midst of that cold snap a week and a half back. Hit -38 (without including the wind chill) up in Ellis' old home town, and -44 up in his birthplace..... No wonder he lives down south now.
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Trivia trivia question: How many of us guys does it take to not quite answer today's trivia question?? :lol:

Richard, John1977, BillE, IllinoisBill, GlennCase, Herve.............need some help, here!!! :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Paddy,

I'm sure there are some knowledgable females on the board who know the answer. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm sure you're right, Karen. :wink:

Just that we gents often subscribe to the old adage "ladie's first" --- :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 pm

I bet Dean aka Andale Orbea knows the answer?????

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:54 pm

How could I forget Dean............. :oops:

Dean Dandy to the Rescue
Dean Dandy to the Rescue

:P
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:22 am

Didn't see this till now, which is techinally tomorrow..

Wondering if the weather"people"** are getting the predicitions right this storm.. they have really blown it so far this year. School cancellations and all then not a flake of snow to be seen!!
(There are actually lots of weatherwomen on the tv news these days**)

In the article it mentions that 650 kids are spending the night at the school and in the library the principal says everything is fine and they are making fun memories!! Can you imagine THAT being the case today..NOT...

Radio's giving Storm Warning...... a favorite line from a new song, which song??? (the line reminds me of Bonnie Riatt)

Oh and the answer to this trivia...

Blizzard
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 am

Yay! Finally an answer! How nice that it was Patti who supplied it! :)

Some snow overnight....freezing rain this morning...but our friend(s) in Oklahoma are experiencing another ice storm similar to when I was there in Dec. 2007. The University of Oklahoma where BeckyG works is closed today for the 3rd day in a row - even the Library....and Becky says the Library NEVER closes! :shock:

Yep....it's one for the diaries.... :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 am

Schools closed all over our area and while tv shows roads slushy but driveable there are numerous reports of traffic accidents. Forecasts for rain and wintry mix throughout the day and freezing temps tonight will add to the stress of getting around town today and tomorrow.

That said, the show must go on!!! :P Just rec'd an email from Brian Webb about his show this Saturday night at Club Passim and also states a very pregnant Rachel McCartney will join him. In depth research, he says, should not affect her ability to sing. :lol:

I sure hope the weather clears enough for Ellis' travels through this part of the country for a safe journey from Virginia to his show at The Ironhorse outside of Boston on Friday night followed by his scheduled Saturday night show at 830p at Puck Live in Doylestown, Pa. outside of Philly.

Be safe out there, all......stay warm. :) For me, I got to get to shovelin some driveways and sidewalks. :roll:

Blizzard by Ellis Paul
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jela!

I would have answered correctly - it's one of those songs I'd like to hear live, have heard many ask EP to sing it, but usually he just laughs and moves on - I remember once in Cleveland....

Heck, I'll go listen to the recorded version instead and daydream I'm hearing it live...

Thanks for the fun trivia KarenZ!
db

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:28 pm

paddyinthepub wrote: .....journey from Virginia to his show at The Ironhorse outside of Boston on Friday night.....

Hmmmm. Hadn't noticed that. Ironhorse on Friday is quite close to Passim on Thursday don't you think?

Someone invite Ellis to the Flynn show. Quick!! :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”