Oct. 31 in EP Music History Trivia - prize today!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Oct. 31 in EP Music History Trivia - prize today!

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:28 am

Folks,

River Phoenix died on this date in 1993. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. (I know I make that hard to believe comment alot.) :)

The first person to reply to this posting with the name of the Ellis Paul album that includes a tribute to River will win a copy of ......let's see.....what do I have that might be a nice prize today....OK...how 'bout a copy of the new Ribbon of Highway, Endless Skyway CD which includes a live version of Ellis Paul performing "God's Promise". It's a terrific 2-disk release.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: Oct. 31 in EP Music History Trivia - prize today!

Postby monicar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:22 am

I know! I know!

I aleady have the CD, so will stay quiet.

Really great CD for anyone that has never seen any of the ROH shows!

Happy Halloween!!!!

paddyinthepub

Re: Oct. 31 in EP Music History Trivia - prize today!

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:36 am

It is hard to believe it's been 15 years since River died. Thanks for trivia, prize offer, and the link to wikipedia, Karen, where much is told of River's life and times. Learned alot reading just now. Ellis Paul's tribute to River Phoenix is there...xx'd out for trivia players. :wink: Here's a peek.

On October 31, 1993, Phoenix collapsed from a drug overdose of heroin and cocaine (known as a speedball) outside the Viper Room, a Hollywood night club partially owned by actor Johnny Depp until 2004. On the night of Phoenix's death, River was to perform onstage with Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Due to his untimely death, Phoenix has been the subject of numerous tributes in song and other media. The band R.E.M. dedicated their album Monster to Phoenix, and their song "E-Bow the Letter" from 1996's New Adventures in Hi-Fi is said to have been written from a letter Michael Stipe wrote to Phoenix but never sent because of the actor's death. Musician Sam Phillips has the dedication "For River" on her album Martinis & Bikinis. Again, Red Hot Chili Peppers, paid tribute with the song "Transcending" on 1995's One Hot Minute being written about him. Other songs inspired by Phoenix include Dana Lyons' "Song For River Phoenix (If I Had Known)," Grant Lee Buffalo's "Halloween," Natalie Merchant's "River" for her 1995 album Tigerlily, Ellis Paul's song "xxxxx," found on his 19xx release xxxxxxx,[13], Rufus Wainwright's "Matinee Idol", Nada Surf's "River Phoenix" and Stereophonics's "Chris Chambers". In her 1996 album Woman & A Man, Belinda Carlisle referenced River in the song "California". The song opens and closes with the line "I remember I was in a tanning salon, when I heard that River Phoenix was gone". In Jay-Z's album, Kingdom Come, the lyrics of "Hollywood" list him as one of the many fatalities of the pressures of Hollywood. New York band Japanther featured a song on their album Skuffed up my Huffy (2008) entitled "River Phoenix," which is about certain events in his life and delivers the chorus "River Phoenix didn't mean it". The Butthole Surfers' song 'TV Star' from their Electriclarryland album, which discusses singer Gibby Haynes' love for Christina Applegate - who was present at the Viper Room the night of Phoenix's death - references someone who may be Phoenix in the line "good-looking fella, but he's looking kind've thin."
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”